+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

for visa exempt

pieterssen

Jan 19, 2014
psyyyn said:
My case is very similar to what you are trying to do. I came here as a visitor status(i'm from visa exempt country) to live with my partner. They gave me 6month at the border. I extended another 12month later. In the mean time, i applied PR and waiting... and waiting... as of now.

First of all, my suggestion for your initial entry is to pretend like you are here just to visit/travel that you still have a job, you need to be back to your country. If you are from visa exempt country, and never been to canada, that might be the best situation to be allowed with no problem. In my case, I told them i will stay for 2weeks to travel and they stamp me 6month stay with no question. Otherwise, you can just tell them the truth, they might verify all your information along with your partner's and allow you to enter.

Document you will need from oversea for PR application are
-Police certificate
-Divorce decree(if you were married before)

These can be obtained from canada through you or your family or relatives. I am not sure where you are coming from, so it is not easy to advise you for sure. For some countries you can get it on the internet or by mail, for some others through embassy.

-Medical, it might be easier for you to just do it in canada.
-Expiration date is 6month ( i think i heard that they extended to 1year, but i am not so sure)

Hope this helps!

Is it better to tell upfront that you are really planning to stay for 6 months than just saying 2 weeks?
I prefer to tell that I will stay for 6 months because my return ticket will show that I will return in 6 months.
If they verify my documents and call my partner, they'll find out it's true.

I'm afraid if I buy a 2-week ticket, and at the border, they really just give me 2-week period, even if I am from visa exempt country that can stay up to 6 months visa-free, then I gotta have a problem. Has this happen to anyone?

Thanks.

psyyyn

Apr 11, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2013
AOR Received.
19-08-2013
Med's Done....
22-01-2014
Re: Inland application question

My case is very similar to what you are trying to do. I came here as a visitor status(i'm from visa exempt country) to live with my partner. They gave me 6month at the border. I extended another 12month later. In the mean time, i applied PR and waiting... and waiting... as of now.

First of all, my suggestion for your initial entry is to pretend like you are here just to visit/travel that you still have a job, you need to be back to your country. If you are from visa exempt country, and never been to canada, that might be the best situation to be allowed with no problem. In my case, I told them i will stay for 2weeks to travel and they stamp me 6month stay with no question. Otherwise, you can just tell them the truth, they might verify all your information along with your partner's and allow you to enter.

-Police certificate

These can be obtained from canada through you or your family or relatives. I am not sure where you are coming from, so it is not easy to advise you for sure. For some countries you can get it on the internet or by mail, for some others through embassy.

-Expiration date is 6month ( i think i heard that they extended to 1year, but i am not so sure)

Hope this helps!

psyyyn

Apr 11, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2013
AOR Received.
19-08-2013
Med's Done....
22-01-2014

When i applied for an extension, i did submit proof of fund from my previous saving which i brought upon entering to CA, even though i also stated that my partner is supporting me financially. I also attached my partner's info (his passport, proof of income, last 6month of bank statements showing his income and our expenses).

In my case, docs i needed from overseas were police certificates from US and Korea, family relation certificate from korea, divorce decree from US.

-US PC, i requested by mail(sent a fingerprint done with an agency here), it took me about 2month to receive.
-Korean PC, i mailed my family member power of procuration which i obtained from korean embassy here and had my family member to mail me back.
-Korean family relation certificate, my family member got it from the internet in korean and mailed me. I had it translated in english with certified translator here.
-Divorce decree from US, I requested on the internet, received by mail.

-Medical, i did not send with my application but have an appointment to do it upfront in a few days.

psyyyn

Apr 11, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2013
AOR Received.
19-08-2013
Med's Done....
22-01-2014

No you can't... :(

Korean embassy used to do it, but not anymore in Toronto(maybe in other province, not sure)
US police certificate, you can only get it by mail or FBI-approved Channeler(i could not find channeler in toronto).

BUT again, EU embassy might do it. So it is all depends on country.

Family relation certificate- it is depends on your country of citizenship. You might not need it. It is on CIC website.
In my case, I did not need to submit my birth certificate. I am a born citizen of South Korea, i followed guidelines according to my country on CIC website.

Check CIC website under
" Applying for permanent residence from within Canada: Spouse or common-law partner in Canada class "

You can find all the information there.
Good luck!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

psyyyn said:
No you can't... :(

Korean embassy used to do it, but not anymore in Toronto(maybe in other province, not sure)

US police certificate, you can only get it by mail or FBI-approved Channeler(i could not find channeler in toronto). You can check FBI website for more info about this.
Actually, CIC does not accept PCC from an FBI Channeler. You have to send them [FBI] your fingerprints (ink and roll) on their FD-285 card. Current processing times are between 6-10 weeks (but changing all the time).

It's not a bad idea to send 2 or even 3 sets of your fingerprints, in case there's an issue with one of the prints (not legible). This way, you don't have to submit them again and wait all over again.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Re: Proof of family relation, what is this??

I'm visa-exempt (U.S. citizen), and when we applied for my visitor extension back in December of 2012, I didn't have to provide any information about family relations. We sent a copy of my husband's pay statement (it had year-to-date information on it to show his earnings for more than 11 months) to show how I would be supported during my stay. Requested a one-year extension, stating I had applied inland for permanent residency. One-year extension was granted.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013

pieterssen said:
Hello,

In applying for an extension as visitor, I might need some proof of ties or proof of family relation from back home.

What are examples of this? Is this a form that you fill up? An affidavit statement?

Confused ???
Sounds like they want evidence of strong ties back home like a existing mortgage or lease agreement. Proof of children's current residency back home. Any document that they feel would convince them that you have something back home that you would make you want to go back.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013

pieterssen said:
I'm also from visa-exempt so maybe I will not need it. I've just read it so many times today in this forum so I kind of got confused. I checked the documents checklist for extension application, I could not find any mention of this proof of relationship.

thanks for the answers! :)
Yes, I think it is more for people from non-visa exempt countries. They want some kind of proof that they will not overstay their visa. This proof is the "proof of ties" that they ask for. But for visa-exempt countries, it is probably not as big a deal.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon

For proof of ties:
- letter from employer attesting that they are aware you are visiting Canada and when they expect you to be back.
- proof of ownership of properties, land, business - these require one's physical presence

Proof of family relation:
I think a spouse and children hold more weight than say, your parents, siblings, etc.
- If you are you married, include copy of marriage certificate
- if you have kids, include copies of their birth certificates which should show their parents' names.
- if your spouse and kids are back home, then it's a positive for you. If she's in Canada, it's tougher to get approved.
- are the children enrolled in school currently and other activites? Include proof.

pieterssen

Jan 19, 2014
psyyyn said:

-Police certificate

Hope this helps!

Is it better to tell upfront that you are really planning to stay for 6 months than just saying 2 weeks?
I prefer to tell that I will stay for 6 months because my return ticket will show that I will return in 6 months.
If they verify my documents and call my partner, they'll find out it's true.

I'm afraid if I buy a 2-week ticket, and at the border, they really just give me 2-week period, even if I am from visa exempt country that can stay up to 6 months visa-free, then I gotta have a problem. Has this happen to anyone?

Thanks.