+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For people working in Software industry is licensing required for choosing 2173?

virtualoddity

Sep 23, 2015
The people at NOC Dpeartment suggested that i use 2173 for my roles and responsibilities. but from what i hear i need license in order to choose 2173 .
Will this affect my Application? As a software test engineer do i need license for choosing 2173. Please help

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
virtualoddity said:
The people at NOC Dpeartment suggested that i use 2173 for my roles and responsibilities. but from what i hear i need license in order to choose 2173 .
Will this affect my Application? As a software test engineer do i need license for choosing 2173. Please help
There are multiple NOC for "Software Industry" for different titles (some of them regulated, others - not). NOC 2173 is for Software Engineers (regulated). NOC 2174 is for Computer Programmers (not regulated).

confusedapplicant

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
NOC 2173 is for Software Engineers (regulated).
There's NO such thing as regulated software engineers ... even if there's the word "engineer" in the title, it has nothing to do with Engineer in the sense of PE (Professional Engineers).
There's no accreditation or licensing body that control software engineer / developer / programmer field.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
confusedapplicant said:
There's NO such thing as regulated software engineers ... even if there's the word "engineer" in the title, it has nothing to do with Engineer in the sense of PE (Professional Engineers).
There's no accreditation or licensing body that control software engineer / developer / programmer field.
Well, as per Job Bank it is regulated.
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/report-eng.do?area=9219&lang=eng&noc=2173&ln=n&s=3#RegulatedOccupation
But I'm not in software development field so you might be right.

LahoriCEC

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
06-02-2016
No it is not regulated.

If you look at the description:

Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.

It is only regulated for Professional Engineers (P. Eng). Whoever heard of a software engineer with a P. Eng? It is something that Electrical/Mechanical Engineers go for I believe.

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This website might help you.
http://cicic.ca/927/Identify-the-organization-responsible-for-recognition/index.canada

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
HELLO, PLEASE can you let me know how you ended up? Getting license or going without license? I am in the same boat as you today. Please advice. I am holding a Masters degree, 12 years of experience as Software automation tester and quality assurance engineer.

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Hello, I want to share some information with you all as Ive experienced it. I know this has been a confusing topic for everyone. I too was confused and didnt get required guidance. I payed fee to WES to send my assessment to one of the societies issuing licenses. Meanwhile I dropped an email to the society itself to clarify. They responded that they issue licenses to candidates who hold ENGINEERING degrees only. Since I hold a BCA and MCA, they said they wont be able to assess me. Now this leads to a loophole. Immigration system says 2173 should have license mandatory. Society says they wont do licensing for non engineering. So I am stuck without any way out and after loosing some money in all the effort. But I thought I should share so that others can save some money and headache. ATLEAST we know that if you are an engineer and you chose NOC 2173, you SHOULD do ahead and get license. That covers you from any surprises later on. FOR THE MCAs.... I hope someone can help me here.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Here is some piece of information I would like to share,
In some provinces for e.g SK 2173 is regulated and licensing is required. Where for other province it is not. In EE it is not required.
Now coming to the confusion of which degree then I can speak about SK,
All Engineering degree including Computer Engineering needs to be licensed by APEGS, where any non Engineering degree for e.g. BSC, BCA, MCA needs to be assessed by CISP.

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Here is some piece of information I would like to share,
In some provinces for e.g SK 2173 is regulated and licensing is required. Where for other province it is not. In EE it is not required.
Now coming to the confusion of which degree then I can speak about SK,
All Engineering degree including Computer Engineering needs to be licensed by APEGS, where any non Engineering degree for e.g. BSC, BCA, MCA needs to be assessed by CISP.
THANKYOU for your quick response. Please can you clarify where did you read about - All Engineering degree including Computer Engineering needs to be licensed by APEGS, where any non Engineering degree for e.g. BSC, BCA, MCA needs to be assessed by CISP.
I am basically interested to find out about MCA because CISP certification was mentioned for software designers on saskatchewan website. My roles have been into software testing, automation, reporting, refinements, scoping and testp planning.

dwneumann

Feb 9, 2020
Whoever is saying that "there's no such thing as regulated software engineers" is incorrect and is giving bad advice.
In Canada the practice of Software Engineering is defined as the development of software that:
(a) requires a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation, and maintenance of software, AND
(b) the software “concerns the public interest” (which is defined as “the safeguarding of life, health, property, economic interests, the public welfare or the environment”).

ref: Professional practice in software engineering

In order to protect the public, responsibility for the development of software where there is “a reasonable expectation that failure or inappropriate functioning of the system would result in harm to life, health, property, economic interests, the public welfare or the environment” can only be taken by a licensed Professional Engineer in the practice of Software Engineering. If you do not hold standing as a licensed Software Engineer with a P.Eng. designation, then you are defined as a “Software Developer” and may work on any software that does not concern the public interest as defined in the legislation. As a Software Developer you may also work under the direct supervision of a licensed Software Engineer on software that concerns the public interest, but it would be illegal for someone to hire you to develop and deliver such software without the supervision of a licensed Software Engineer.

There are several examples given and discussed in the URL cited above. Clearly “safety-critical” software falls under the definition, but so does telecommunications, stock trading, and software that deals with the protecting the security of private data…, but many other types of software, such as video game development, does not.

monu030

Star Member
Sep 14, 2014
HELLO, PLEASE can you let me know how you ended up? Getting license or going without license? I am in the same boat as you today. Please advice. I am holding a Masters degree, 12 years of experience as Software automation tester and quality assurance engineer.
Hey, Could you please share your experience of what you have done. I am in the same boat and trying to figure out, do I need a license or not. Your reply will be much appreciated.

san.manhas

Jun 6, 2023
THANKYOU for your quick response. Please can you clarify where did you read about - All Engineering degree including Computer Engineering needs to be licensed by APEGS, where any non Engineering degree for e.g. BSC, BCA, MCA needs to be assessed by CISP.
I am basically interested to find out about MCA because CISP certification was mentioned for software designers on saskatchewan website. My roles have been into software testing, automation, reporting, refinements, scoping and testp planning.
Hi Abhi,

I am stuck with the same conundrum, were you able to sort this out?