+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For any German citizen

IPULL

May 30, 2023
I’m getting cold feet now!!! I’m getting closer to oath and I don’t really want to lose my German citizenship! But the “Beibehaltung” seems too hard to achieve. I’m not planning to ever move back but I feel like I’m losing my identity!!

r0tzbua

Aug 3, 2023
Not a german citizen but an Austrian Citizen and we also aren't allowed to keep the Austrian one when taking on another citizenship. Of course everyone defines it differently but for me a document is not my identity, if you plan to spend your life here becoming a canadian citizen is the thing that makes most sense for you as it did for me.

I pay my taxes here, I bought a house here and my life is here and being a canadian citizen just makes my life here easier. Need to extend your passport? Have fun with embassies and consulates and waiting times, quick travel to the USA? Hey, apply for ESTA, yay. Pay your taxes, live your life here but you're not allowed to vote unless you're a citizen. I think in the long term it just makes most sense.

trickshot555

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Wait a min- I remember you! You were 'that' person in our monthly thread demanding speedy service for citizenship even though all our processing was still really fast with only Vancouver officer being slightly faster. After all that drama and complaining, you're getting cold feet now???

IPULL

May 30, 2023
Wait a min- I remember you! You were 'that' person in our monthly thread demanding speedy service for citizenship even though all our processing was still really fast with only Vancouver officer being slightly faster. After all that drama and complaining, you're getting cold feet now???
Hey, I didn't really complain much!! I don't think I was "that" person, I am one of the ones that didn't get an invite for the test, that's all! A lot of ppl in that group are anxious.

MWCW2018

Star Member
Aug 28, 2018
I’m getting cold feet now!!! I’m getting closer to oath and I don’t really want to lose my German citizenship! But the “Beibehaltung” seems too hard to achieve. I’m not planning to ever move back but I feel like I’m losing my identity!!
If I were you, I would keep German citizenship and remain a permanent resident of Canada. Remember, Permanent residency already grants you most of the rights of being Canadian, including the right to work and live throughout Canada, and access to provincial/territorial health care systems.

But if you give up German citizenship, you will lose the right to live in Europe, not just Germany, but other countries in the European Economic Area. You will also not be allowed to spend unlimited time in Germany, even as a tourist.

You can also decide to apply for Canadian citizenship later in life, but it may be more difficult to do that for Germany once you give up citizenship.

trickshot555

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Hey, I didn't really complain much!! I don't think I was "that" person, I am one of the ones that didn't get an invite for the test, that's all! A lot of ppl in that group are anxious.
This is a big decision if you do not have the luxury of dual citizenship and not one to be taken lightly. I wish you well and hope you figure it out.

IPULL

May 30, 2023
This is a big decision if you do not have the luxury of dual citizenship and not one to be taken lightly. I wish you well and hope you figure it out.
[/QUOTE
Thank you, I love Canada I love that it gives me the opportunity to pursue a career that I’ve never dreamed of having in Germany! Also my child is Canadian born and doesn’t have dual citizenship. I know I’m privileged to be from a country like Germany and that I can travel wherever I want. I’m just torn, RANT OVER!!! Lol

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Seems like the German parliament is going to debate and vote on a new citizenship law to allow dual citizenship in the upcoming months. If remaining German is that important to you, just stay a PR until the law passes.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-cabinet-signs-off-plan-to-ease-path-to-citizenship/a-66608614

IPULL

May 30, 2023
  • Haha
Reactions: aceinthedeck

IPULL

May 30, 2023
It's a personal decision but it seems it might be worth the wait for the new German guidelines.
I came so far, withdrawing now would seem so unfair! Especially for ppl who are waiting for a long time! Maybe the bill will never pass? And if it does I might be able to obtain it back easily.