+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For any German citizen

Dark_Night

Star Member
Jun 14, 2019
Toronto
I’m getting cold feet now!!! I’m getting closer to oath and I don’t really want to lose my German citizenship! But the “Beibehaltung” seems too hard to achieve. I’m not planning to ever move back but I feel like I’m losing my identity!!
The decision is up to you, but ultimately you are closing one door and gaining the ability to vote and hold a Canadian passport. Nobody knows what the future holds, so I always say the more options / flexibility you have the better. Also, perhaps your children would want to study in Europe one day and having German citizenship would make it so much easier for them.

Reactions: IPULL

IPULL

May 30, 2023
Anyone can read your post history. Going on and on and NOW worried about losing your German citizenship. Complaining just to complain .

Give my head a shake ? ( yawn )
What is your issue??? If you have nothing to say about my topic just move along!!!!!

aceinthedeck

Star Member
Jul 27, 2017
Toronto
I came so far, withdrawing now would seem so unfair! Especially for ppl who are waiting for a long time! Maybe the bill will never pass? And if it does I might be able to obtain it back easily.
I think they might have a clause to reclaim your citizenship, in case you have to give up because you took another citizenship. So you will have the option to get it back.

IPULL

May 30, 2023
I think they might have a clause to reclaim your citizenship, in case you have to give up because you took another citizenship. So you will have the option to get it back.
Oh really, I will have to read into this! Thank you so much

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
I came so far, withdrawing now would seem so unfair! Especially for ppl who are waiting for a long time! Maybe the bill will never pass? And if it does I might be able to obtain it back easily.
The legislation was drafted by a liberal-majority government and is set to be debated and voted on by the same liberal-majority government. Seems like it has a pretty good chance of passing. If you want to read it, I believe I found it here:

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/gesetzgebungsverfahren/DE/Downloads/referentenentwuerfe/VII5/gesetz-zur-modernisierung-des-staatsangehoerigkeitsrechts.html;jsessionid=77910042F4AD6CB01A8695B76F2AD0E4.1_cid378

• Love
Reactions: IPULL