+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flying to US without PR Card

negative

Nov 2, 2015
Hi All,

I am planning to go to US in few days. I have not received my first PR card yet. My passport is not visa exempt. I have return flights from Toronto to New York. I know that I can not board to my return flight to Toronto. My concern is that if I would have any difficulties in US borders when I land New York. I have a visitor visa to US. Can they refuse my entry to US since I don't have a PR card and valid Canada visa?

I have two options:
1- Fly to New York. If I am not refused entry, burn the return tickets and take a bus back to Niagara Falls and walk from the Rainbow Bridge with my Proof of Landing.

2- Burn both tickets. Drive to New York with my private vehicle and drive back.

I will only stay 5 days and 3 of these days will be holiday so there is not enough time for travel document.

Preetinderbedi

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. US immigration would not stop you from entering US, however the airlines has right to refuse the boarding as you do not have legal travel document or PR card to enter Canada. If they allow you, CBSA would not have any issues. At max, they will do a verification based on your CoPR.

The best way would be to cross the border by road, take a flight to Buffalow airport from NY and rent a car from there or cross by foot. You do need a PR card when you cross by Road as CBSA accepts COPR as a valid proof.

Also, you can even use UBER and Other taxi services to cross the border as well. All car rental companies also give you a rental car which could be dropped at a different location. its a bit expensive than normal but not a bad option.

cedros123

Star Member
Mar 23, 2017
Even, by the road, US immigration could deny your entry because you don't have a PR Card.
They are always asking for my status in Canada and my PR Card so, I don't know what could happen if I didn't have it ...

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Even, by the road, US immigration could deny your entry because you don't have a PR Card.
They are always asking for my status in Canada and my PR Card so, I don't know what could happen if I didn't have it ...
Asking to see PR card all the time maybe a specific situation with respect to you, not a general one. When I crossed over to US by road never they asked me to show the PR card. When flying into US only once they asked to show the PR card.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I was never asked for my PR card when entering the US.

Apart from that I agree that you shouldn't have a problem flying to the US but as you already said, you will not be able to board the plane to Canada. It's not something that might happen, it's something that will happen.