22-11-2017
Med's Done....
26-11-2017
Interview........
not requested
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
Dear forum members,

I was trying to get clarification on the matter of air tickets flying into Canada as Cdn. Sponsor, Thai Applicant, and Cdn. Dependent.
I called the Canadian Border Services Agency to ask because AEIP and similar Immigrant Pre-Arrival Service agencies could not answer, nor ICRR.
An agent said he'd look for info and if nothing came, I would receive no email.

***Please NOTE, the AIRLINES may not respect the right of the immigrant and the mandate of the Canadian Border Service Agency that it is possible to enter Canada on a 1-way-inbound ticket. Contact your AIRLINE FIRST before booking 1-way tickets.***

This email came:

SUBJECT: Immigrant arrival allowed with 1-way inbound ticket?

There is no requirement for a visitor to possess a return ticket when travelling to Canada. (underline added)

Visitors do need to satisfy the officer at the port of entry that they will leave Canada at the end of their authorized stay and that they have sufficient funds to support themselves during their visit to Canada. If you do not have sufficient funds, but you have made arrangements in Canada for your care and support from relatives or friends without taking unauthorized employment, you should ensure that when you arrive you can show evidence of your funds and/or other means of support.

You may be asked to supply documentary evidence of your continued employment outside of Canada. This could include things such as a letter from your employer stating how long you have been employed, when you have to return to your job, and when you last worked for the employer. Recent pay stubs are also helpful.

In addition, you may be asked to supply documentary evidence of your continued residence outside Canada. This could include such things as rent receipts, mortgage papers, utility bills, or phone bills in your or your spouse’s name or any other documentation that supports your claim to continued residence outside Canada.

For more information on the requirements when visiting Canada, please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) website at:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp

For all other questions related to this matter, we recommend that you contact IRCC at 1-888-242-2100.

If you are located outside of Canada, please contact your nearest Canadian visa office. A list of offices can be found at:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/index.asp

You can also access additional contact information at the following website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/index.asp

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
All you have posted is applicable to visitors and not new immigrants your COPR should be enough to travel to Canada on a one way ticket. Airlines always have the last say and can deny boarding for anyone at will for any reason but if you have valid documentation there should be no reason for them to do so. Did you contact the airline as suggested ?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1184&top=16

https://www.google.com/search?q=canada+copr+and+one+way&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

AMScarry2019

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
24-07-2017
Doc's Request.
26-09-2017
Med's Request
22-11-2017
Med's Done....
26-11-2017
Interview........
not requested
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
All you have posted is applicable to visitors and not new immigrants your COPR should be enough to travel to Canada on a one way ticket. Airlines always have the last say and can deny boarding for anyone at will for any reason but if you have valid documentation there should be no reason for them to do so. Did you contact the airline as suggested ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=canada+copr+and+one+way&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Hi Bs65,

I notice you're already in the 1000's of posts, so I'm certain you've got a great deal of knowledge, and I don't wish to argue, but I would like to put my answer in the context:

What I copied and pasted was from a CBSA Agent (not just a member of the public like we generally are).
You're correct, it applied to Visitors, as most of the text was explicit to mention.
However, you're not accurate to say it doesn't apply to Immigrants. The first line states explicitly:

"There is no requirement for a visitor to possess a return ticket when travelling to Canada.", Government of Canada.
My question to the CBSA Officer on the phone was "Can we travel to Canada on a 1-way ticket?" - this was the answer.

It was then further qualified with additional information that I agree, in our case, is NOT necessary, but was included for completeness of information from the source.

You're correct, airlines DO (unfortunately) have the last say, though I would argue with anyone at the counter who denies access with a 1-way ticket. As you say, "should", let's recognise that should is often recounted afterwards in the press as "should have", so I don't trust airline staff to handle anything but routine flight/travel arrangements. Immigration is NOT routine given the wide variety of causes and cases.

I checked the first link - didn't seem to be relevent, sorry.
The second link was excellent thanks, and if I'd found it earlier, it would have helped. Must try additional keywords next search! I come back to my point that info from Government (CBSA) is prefered to peers, and to give everyone here credit that peer networking is often more reliable!!

I follow my own advice (or I wouldn't offer it), and will once I have all the documents and contact the airline to make the booking.

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
All you need is your COPR letter and a tourist visa (or TRV if applicable to your country). CBSA is not there to offer travel advice.

My common law partner traveled to Canada with his COPR paperwork and a valid TRV on a one way ticket. When he landed he told the CBSA agent that he was landing.

Reactions: starnaenae

AMScarry2019

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
24-07-2017
Doc's Request.
26-09-2017
Med's Request
22-11-2017
Med's Done....
26-11-2017
Interview........
not requested
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
All you need is your COPR letter and a tourist visa (or TRV if applicable to your country). CBSA is not there to offer travel advice.

My common law partner traveled to Canada with his COPR paperwork and a valid TRV on a one way ticket. When he landed he told the CBSA agent that he was landing.
Thanks DollyM.
I agree they're not there to offer travel advice, they were contacted to ask about the admission at the border when arriving on a 1-way ticket.
Thanks for your account.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that CBSA or IRCC agents that anyone manages to get on the phone are more than likely call centre staff employed by those organisations to answer the phone. They more than likely operate to a script on the screen in front of them hence the email relevant to visitors and not new immigrants.

As the text says there is no specific requirement for anyone to have return ticket but a visitor arriving with a one way will of course be subject to more scrutiny of their intentions than a new immigrant and unless they have the backup of say a super visa or a study/ work permit they might end up with a visitor record with a specific entry time.

You will find plenty of posts on this forum where IRCC agents on the phone for example have given less than reliable advice, not many people here manage to interact with CBSA so not many posts for that interaction.

No offence taken by the way if my answer was out of context to your post, that’s what a forum like this is about to generate discussion and share information, sometimes valid sometimes not but can only be based on the few words typed in a post which can be misread/ interpreted as something completely different to what the poster intended.

Last edited:

AMScarry2019

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
24-07-2017
Doc's Request.
26-09-2017
Med's Request
22-11-2017
Med's Done....
26-11-2017
Interview........
not requested
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
Just to add that CBSA or IRCC agents that anyone manages to get on the phone are more than likely call centre staff employed by those organisations to answer the phone. They more than likely operate to a script on the screen in front of them hence the email relevant to visitors and not new immigrants.

You will find plenty of posts on this forum where IRCC agents on the phone for example have given less than reliable advice, not many people manage to interact with CBSA.

No offence taken by the way if my answer was out of context to your post, that’s what a forum like this is about to generate discussion and share information, sometimes valid sometimes not but can only be based on the few words typed in a post which can be misread/ interpreted as something completely different to what the poster intended.
None taken Bs65,
I had hoped my reference to your experience on the forum implied respect.
Everything you mention is correct. Its for these reasons too that I sought public discussion.

I'll be trying to book with AC ("Beef or Chicken?"...."What is the chicken meal?"...."Its chicken sir - beef or chicken. : | ...glares at passenger) and see how I do with the 1-Way ticketing....

Oct 10, 2018
Hey guys,
Just letting you know my experience with flying back to Canada with COPR.
I had my work visa, work permit and COPR.
I was flying from China and I got on plane with work visa. Once I landed in Vancouver, I handed my passport and COPR.
The officer asked if I have PRTD. But i said that I thought my work visa was still valid.
She said to wait a minute and went to talk to her associate.
She came back and said all good. Put stamp and let me in.
So if you have work visa which helps you to get on plane and COPR to prove your status, then you good to go

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hey guys,
Just letting you know my experience with flying back to Canada with COPR.
I had my work visa, work permit and COPR.
I was flying from China and I got on plane with work visa. Once I landed in Vancouver, I handed my passport and COPR.
The officer asked if I have PRTD. But i said that I thought my work visa was still valid.
She said to wait a minute and went to talk to her associate.
She came back and said all good. Put stamp and let me in.
So if you have work visa which helps you to get on plane and COPR to prove your status, then you good to go
So I assume that you have not landed with your COPR yet?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't think your work visa is valid any more after you became a PR. I think the CBSA officer didn't know what she's doing..