+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fly from Europe to Canada unvaccinated

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
Hello!

My wife (Russian, soon to be Canadian PR) and I (Canadian) will be flying back to Canada soon, once her PR is accepted. We are currently unvaccinated, as we know that when we arrive in Canada we will need to get a Canadian recognized vaccine, which we cannot currently get in Russia.

I know that we are allowed to enter the country without being vaccinated, since we are citizen/PR, but I don't know about the air travel side of things.

We don't want to get a Russian vaccine, not only because we don't trust it, but because we will need to get the Canadian vaccine later, and there isn't enough data about mixing vaccines. Is it possible for us to board a plane to Canada without being vaccinated? What airlines will allow unvaccinated passengers?

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello!

My wife (Russian, soon to be Canadian PR) and I (Canadian) will be flying back to Canada soon, once her PR is accepted. We are currently unvaccinated, as we know that when we arrive in Canada we will need to get a Canadian recognized vaccine, which we cannot currently get in Russia.

I know that we are allowed to enter the country without being vaccinated, since we are citizen/PR, but I don't know about the air travel side of things.

We don't want to get a Russian vaccine, not only because we don't trust it, but because we will need to get the Canadian vaccine later, and there isn't enough data about mixing vaccines. Is it possible for us to board a plane to Canada without being vaccinated? What airlines will allow unvaccinated passengers?

Thanks
As far as I'm aware nothing has changed in this respect for those coming to Canada (we did this earlier this year) - but please continue to check.

Brief form is, you'll (both) need PCR covid tests and a quarantine plan in Canada, and to show / provide all info through ArriveCan (app or on web) before departing, with various codes and stuff you show at the airport departure and arrival in Canada.

In Canada - you'll get tested at the airport; given a test kit to do from quarantine, about seven or eight days in, and you'll get called a lot to check that you're quaranting as required.

Although sputnik isn't accepted in Canada, three of us did sputnik and then pfizer after completing quarantine here. No-one had any bad reactions or reactions really at all. We still felt safer travelling with sputnik compared to unvaccinated, and I reckon now we're super-protected. To the extent we were able to get any doctors to comment on getting both, reactions varied from maybe-not-a-good-idea-but-no-data to very-unlikely-to-be-a-problem-but-we-have-no-data. In reality: there are lots of people getting multiple different types and very, very minimal reason to think it will be harmful (almost no reported cases) and a lot of reasons to think being vaccinated more than minimum is if anything likely protective (and the main reason not to do it is that the extra benefit might be small). (Having discussed with doctors about other vaccines - eg for kids - that's pretty common for most vaccines and they will almost always err on side of possibly being vaccinated more than minimum compared to accidentally not being vaccinated.)

Up to you. Do follow though because the rules are changing and could change yet. I dont think Canada will close to unvaccinated, just that unvaccinated likely will be limited only to essential. (i.e. they might not allow tourists in unvaccinated)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello!

Thanks
Are you flying directly into your Canadian destination? There will be a requirement for domestic travellers to be vaccinated. Nobody has clarified about what happens for international travellers needing to travel within Canada.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
Are you flying directly into your Canadian destination? There will be a requirement for domestic travellers to be vaccinated. Nobody has clarified about what happens for international travellers needing to travel within Canada.
My wife hasn't receiver COPR yet, so we haven't bought tickets. We are hoping to be able to fly directly to Toronto, but most of our previous flights have had stop-overs in Montreal.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My wife hasn't receiver COPR yet, so we haven't bought tickets. We are hoping to be able to fly directly to Toronto, but most of our previous flights have had stop-overs in Montreal.
Given the lack of instructions about this so far (domestic connecting flights), plan to connect to Toronto. Since no direct flights to Canada from Russia anyway, you'll be connecting through somewhere in Europe anyway (most likely).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll need to fly to Toronto direct if you are flying after Nov 29th. If you end up flying to Montreal, then you'll need to rent a car to get yourselves to Toronto.