+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flight choices for those with approved study permits before Match 18, 2020

Shahin3583

Jan 22, 2020
Thanks a ton for the reply, Shahin! I hope your journey goes smooth & great!

I agree it's better to not go through a 3rd country & straight go to Canada from Delhi....

I just wanted to ask whether you had directly booked for a ticket on Air Canada's website or through a travel agent? Considering whigh will be advisable that's why...

And any idea about the documentary requirements of Air Canada? Like did you get any clarification from Air Canada people about what documents they need from students to allow us boarding? I'm trying to call them as well nowadays...

Once again, hopefully everything goes well for you with your travel. Thank you so much!!!
Hiii.. I was planning to book directly through air Canada initially...but whenever I tried calling it was always waiting over the call and could rarely reach them.. so I gave 2nd thought that incase if I get it booked through agent then always besides air Canada I will also have option to contact the travel agent to get any updates related to my journey (which wouldn't have been assured if I had directly booked as the contact no. comes busy most of the time, and which is quiet natural as well in this heavy traffic situation). Also, booking through travel agent wasn't expensive for me..it was only 2000-3000 INR service or portal charges..so I just went ahead and booked...also the travel agent makes sure before booking that U have all the documents before booking.. so things go much smoother... Spice jet is having charter flights from Delhi to Toronto...but the problem for me was I would have had 3 PNR s in that case i.e. from my city to Delhi then from Delhi to Toronto and from Toronto to Montreal and incase if the main flight was rescheduled or anything changed then only one PNR wld have been changed and the other two domestic connections I would have probably lost if I did not book smartly..so to avoid all these risks I went for one PNR ticket and same luggage allowance.. also if u have different airlines the complications of domestic and international luggage allowance also occurs and could have been more worrysome..

Sorry I think I replied for two different queries in one chat..plse bear...

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Hiii.. I was planning to book directly through air Canada initially...but whenever I tried calling it was always waiting over the call and could rarely reach them.. so I gave 2nd thought that incase if I get it booked through agent then always besides air Canada I will also have option to contact the travel agent to get any updates related to my journey (which wouldn't have been assured if I had directly booked as the contact no. comes busy most of the time, and which is quiet natural as well in this heavy traffic situation). Also, booking through travel agent wasn't expensive for me..it was only 2000-3000 INR service or portal charges..so I just went ahead and booked...also the travel agent makes sure before booking that U have all the documents before booking.. so things go much smoother... Spice jet is having charter flights from Delhi to Toronto...but the problem for me was I would have had 3 PNR s in that case i.e. from my city to Delhi then from Delhi to Toronto and from Toronto to Montreal and incase if the main flight was rescheduled or anything changed then only one PNR wld have been changed and the other two domestic connections I would have probably lost if I did not book smartly..so to avoid all these risks I went for one PNR ticket and same luggage allowance.. also if u have different airlines the complications of domestic and international luggage allowance also occurs and could have been more worrysome..

Sorry I think I replied for two different queries in one chat..plse bear...

Once again, thanks a million for your reply, Shahin! I can't tell you how grateful I am for your advice about the booking...

Yes I totally agree, Air Canada call wait time and speaking to their office is very difficult. I am glad that you could book through the agent for minimal 2-3000 INR service charge, that's awesome!

Plus thanks a ton for the guidance about PNR. I too will have to go to Delhi from my city and having many different PNR numbers is best avoided as you rightly said!

And no no not at all, please don't say sorry for replying to both questions in the same reply please! I'm only too thankful for your advice here!

I hope you have a smooth flight and that everything goes according to your plans! Thank you soooooo much once again! I'm truly grateful for all your advice here!

Reactions: Shahin3583

Shahin3583

Jan 22, 2020
Wh
Once again, thanks a million for your reply, Shahin! I can't tell you how grateful I am for your advice about the booking...

Yes I totally agree, Air Canada call wait time and speaking to their office is very difficult. I am glad that you could book through the agent for minimal 2-3000 INR service charge, that's awesome!

Plus thanks a ton for the guidance about PNR. I too will have to go to Delhi from my city and having many different PNR numbers is best avoided as you rightly said!

And no no not at all, please don't say sorry for replying to both questions in the same reply please! I'm only too thankful for your advice here!

I hope you have a smooth flight and that everything goes according to your plans! Thank you soooooo much once again! I'm truly grateful for all your advice here!
Just be sure with the route you choose with air Canada.... There was one flight going through Frankfurt as well with a one night halt there..so make sure you choose India to Canada directly.... I had myself searched for the best option and requested the travel agent to book it..so make sure u choose India to Canada only without any 3rd country for safety ..plus within economy of you can choose latitude category, then u have two free bagages for checkin otherwise it's only one allowed (this is incase you want to carry more things...I needed two so chose latitude economy) and also it's refundable ticket under latitude.

All the best....

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Wh

Just be sure with the route you choose with air Canada.... There was one flight going through Frankfurt as well with a one night halt there..so make sure you choose India to Canada directly.... I had myself searched for the best option and requested the travel agent to book it..so make sure u choose India to Canada only without any 3rd country for safety ..plus within economy of you can choose latitude category, then u have two free bagages for checkin otherwise it's only one allowed (this is incase you want to carry more things...I needed two so chose latitude economy) and also it's refundable ticket under latitude.

All the best....
Oh I see...through Frankfurt and halt there? No no that will make it all complicated & transit will be risky! As you've rightly explained, it's best to go straight from Delhi to Toronto / Vancouver, whichever direct flight that does not go through any other 3rd country. I'm trying to book too, and will definitely follow all the points you've mentioned like the latitude in economy! Thank you so much once again, for all your advice and for the wishes as well! I too wish you the best of luck for the journey!!! :)

gursewak singh

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
SANGRUR,PUNJAB,INDIA
App. Filed.......
21-08-2013
File Transfer...
25-11-2013
Med's Request
24-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-09-2013
the lufthansa is allowing students as in this week one student i knew went via frankfurt to toronto without any complications.
for spicejet they allow anyone who is eligible as per ircc exemptions.
Air Canada and Air India are overbooking so to balance the seats while boarding they deny some students the boarding on nonsense reasons to equal the seats available.

gursewak singh

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
SANGRUR,PUNJAB,INDIA
App. Filed.......
21-08-2013
File Transfer...
25-11-2013
Med's Request
24-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-09-2013
but its better to go via air canada and air india due to prices for their tickets are lower than others seeing their direct flight.
and agent booking is better as now they take only about 2-3k extra for booking.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
the lufthansa is allowing students as in this week one student i knew went via frankfurt to toronto without any complications.
for spicejet they allow anyone who is eligible as per ircc exemptions.
Air Canada and Air India are overbooking so to balance the seats while boarding they deny some students the boarding on nonsense reasons to equal the seats available.

That's good to know that Lufthansa & Spicejet have started allowing students...but as you said, Air India & Air Canada are better options. Though they have the overbooking issue, I think we still have to try and take a chance maybe...

This is a little tricky but I hope I'll be able to get Air Canada ticket properly...

Thanks a lot, Gursewak, for your reply here! Very helpful yaar!

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Wh

All the best....

Hi Shahin! Just 1 last query please..

Did the travel agent / Air Canada officers say anything about exactly what document they need to allow students to board the flight from India?

As in, any specific requirements for the travel support letter? Will they allow students to board without a letter?

I'm still in the process of trying to get a letter from the university... that's why. Thanks a lot once again yaar!

Reactions: Shahin3583

Shahin3583

Jan 22, 2020
Hi Shahin! Just 1 last query please..

Did the travel agent / Air Canada officers say anything about exactly what document they need to allow students to board the flight from India?

As in, any specific requirements for the travel support letter? Will they allow students to board without a letter?

I'm still in the process of trying to get a letter from the university... that's why. Thanks a lot once again yaar!
hiii

travel support letter he asked for..but this was last untill last week..u will hv to check for recent updates if any...u can if ask any more doubts

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
hiii

travel support letter he asked for..but this was last untill last week..u will hv to check for recent updates if any...u can if ask any more doubts

Thanks a lot for your reply Shahin! Ah okay sure, I'll check that point by calling Air Canada. Thank you so much!!!

So the agent said that Air Canada will allow students to board if we have the travel support letter?

Shahin3583

Jan 22, 2020
Thanks a lot for your reply Shahin! Ah okay sure, I'll check that point by calling Air Canada. Thank you so much!!!

So the agent said that Air Canada will allow students to board if we have the travel support letter?
he didn't say any such thing.. but prior to booking itself the travel support document was necessary..without the document he said he wont be able to book the ticket. So i assume that with this document and ticket one should be allowed to board.. I will try to contact air canada tomorrow again and clarify about my travel and accordingly update you.. Today I could not get connected to the airlines.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
he didn't say any such thing.. but prior to booking itself the travel support document was necessary..without the document he said he wont be able to book the ticket. So i assume that with this document and ticket one should be allowed to board.. I will try to contact air canada tomorrow again and clarify about my travel and accordingly update you.. Today I could not get connected to the airlines.

Oh they need the letter for booking itself? I think I too should book a flight ticket with a travel agent to be safe. They seem to know the documents required right...

I'm also trying to reach Air Canada office by phone...I'm trying to confirm from them too.

But with ticket, Visa & the travel letter, it should definitely go pretty smoothly, as that is all even Air India is asking anyway it seems.

Once again, thanks a lot for responding & conversing here, Shahin. It really helps to talk to people who are also going to travel there. Thank you so much!!!

Reactions: Peter88

gursewak singh

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
SANGRUR,PUNJAB,INDIA
App. Filed.......
21-08-2013
File Transfer...
25-11-2013
Med's Request
24-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-09-2013
well i want to update here,
Spicejet flight should be avoided if time is issue as i travelled via it, it takes too much time about 22+ hours, agents say its direct but it has about 2 hrs stay at Lisbon, Portugal for refuelling although we dont need to change the plane or deborading. just sitting but you know 22 hrs is too much timing, and the economy seats you know tight but crew was very friendly and although not much cared about seat calls due to pandemic but provided good food time to time and i can say its ok because in Air Canada te flight is about 14 hrs but they are not giving food, just when you board air canada plane eatables are on your seats and nothing after but spicejet crew gave these service seat to seat and time to time.
so if time is not an issue go with Spicejet(HIFLY) ,is best service according to me.
about my journey from Delhi, at IGI airport, staff i met was very friendly even the immigration officer who stamped my passport just saw the declaration form we have to submit and passport for stamp, nothing asked except my name only, to the security who checked my bag and scanning.
At toronto pearson, at post 1 one officer asked about my study, college name and about any covid symptoms if i am showing, nothing more, she was very friendly and then gave me yellow receipt to go to other post to get the permit. it depends on CBSA officers if he demands travel support letter or room booking, for me he just asked for offer letter, and college payment receipt, approval letter and passport and asked me to remove mask to see the face and again asked to put it back on and gave me permit and good to go, 0 questions asked by that officer.(here i am excluding about 3-4 hrs time we were in line at 3 places due to rush as i was at backseats of planes so took time if u r in front seat you r lucky as your turn comes first).
all were very friendly, my experience was very cool.
before travelling i get to know that immigration officers at Delhi or Toronto confuse you but i think i was lucky , all were very friendly but only problem is time but thats ok due to this pandemic situation staff has been working at lower numbers, half of immigration counters are closed to promote social distancing and safety.
sorry for long post.

Reactions: Peter88

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Spicejet flight should be avoided if time is issue as i travelled via it, it takes too much time about 22+ hours, agents say its direct but it has about 2 hrs stay at Lisbon, Portugal for refuelling although we dont need to change the plane or deborading. just sitting but you know 22 hrs is too much timing, and the economy seats you know tight but crew was very friendly and although not much cared about seat calls due to pandemic but provided good food time to time and i can say its ok because in Air Canada te flight is about 14 hrs but they are not giving food, just when you board air canada plane eatables are on your seats and nothing after but spicejet crew gave these service seat to seat and time to time.
so if time is not an issue go with Spicejet(HIFLY) ,is best service according to me.
about my journey from Delhi, at IGI airport, staff i met was very friendly even the immigration officer who stamped my passport just saw the declaration form we have to submit and passport for stamp, nothing asked except my name only, to the security who checked my bag and scanning.
At toronto pearson, at post 1 one officer asked about my study, college name and about any covid symptoms if i am showing, nothing more, she was very friendly and then gave me yellow receipt to go to other post to get the permit. it depends on CBSA officers if he demands travel support letter or room booking, for me he just asked for offer letter, and college payment receipt, approval letter and passport and asked me to remove mask to see the face and again asked to put it back on and gave me permit and good to go, 0 questions asked by that officer.(here i am excluding about 3-4 hrs time we were in line at 3 places due to rush as i was at backseats of planes so took time if u r in front seat you r lucky as your turn comes first).
before travelling i get to know that immigration officers at Delhi or Toronto confuse you but i think i was lucky , all were very friendly but only problem is time but thats ok due to this pandemic situation staff has been working at lower numbers, half of immigration counters are closed to promote social distancing and safety.
sorry for long post.
You travelled on 24 august Flight? I heard everyone was allowed. Did you see any one being denied entry? Thanks.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
sorry for long post.
Hey! Great to hear of your experience. Thanks a lot for posting!

But you said your program was shifted to January right? So did you travel 4 months before?