+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpolling checklist

TimothyDube

Dec 1, 2017
I flag-polled at the pedestrian Rainbow Bridge to activatemy Express Entry (Federal Skilled Worker category) permanent residency. I created this checklist from my readings and experience.

1) Things you may need include:
- Valid passport
- Canada re-entry permit (valid visa etc since you are going outside Canada)
- Confirmation of Permanent Residency (unsigned and within validity period)
- Proof of Status (work/study permit etc)
- Toll ($0.50 - quarters only) travel with extra in the event the toll is increased
- Proof of funds (I used online bank account prints. Keep in mind the required amount for single applicant versus person with dependent)
- Proof of Address (I had a copy bill but the address on my work and study permits were the same so those were sufficient)
- Employment evidence (I had payslips and bank statement showing direct pay deposits. These were not requested but I was asked questions about my employment and "skills")
- US VISA NOT REQUIRED - as we all know by now.

2) Flag-polling date and time
- Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday
(Remember that after midnight on Thursday it's technically Friday and you might be told to return another day. I chose Tuesday because it's a slower day at the border and, if I had any hiccups, I would have retried on Wednesday. Traffic increases on Thursday. As luck would have it, I was the only person there)
- I chose to arrive around 9:30 pm, late enough to avoid any crowd yet early enough that the agents are awake and attentive instead of groggy and grumpy)
- Ensure you arrange return transportation or check the GO train schedule.

3. Crossing the border
- If you drove, be mindful of where you park.
- Secure your stuff as it is very windy going cross the bridge. Don't risk things falling into the water.
- At the US Border, present your passport and state that you are "flag-polling" and "do not require entry into the US". This eliminates the security screening and they'll give you the administrative rejection slip to take back to Canada
- Back at the Canadian Border, have you entry documents, proof of status and COPR ready to present. Let the officer know that you are completing your landing. The rest of the process is fully documented in forum.

4. Things to consider after "landing":
- Update your SIN at Service Canada (no appointment needed)
- Update your status at a main office of Service Ontario (no appointment needed)
- Update or apply for your Health Card (no appointment needed)
- Update your information with your Bank (this improves your internal credit score and will likely reduce your risk/interest category and improve your product options)
- Update your employer, if necessary
- Update your information with other places as necessary, including your Accountant when doing your taxes
- Remember to use your new SIN going forward.

If it helps.

Timothy