+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpoling for PGWP. Peace Bridge, Queenston-Lewiston Bridge or Rainbow Bridge?

hoxhaj

Star Member
Jan 9, 2022
Update:

Hey guys, I went to the Peace Bridge recently. I would highly suggest you go there for Flagpoling too. Try reaching there by 7:30 AM and start walking to the US border. Please do not go any earlier since this will really piss off officers on both sides. I went there at 5:30 AM, and an officer suggested I come later for flagpoling. Also, ensure you have a thick skin on that day because some officers may talk to you very harshly and you'll just have to swallow it. Remember, your only priority is to get your permits -- don't let your pride or emotions interfere with that. Try to stay as nonchalant as possible and be their personal punching bag, and they'll respect you.

Important Note: They closed off the Mather Arch Park walkway due to some temporary work. Go to the office near Queen St. and follow the directions.

On the US Side:
After crossing the bridge and going through a turnstile, there's a door to a very small office. You'll notice a speaker and a button attached to the left side of the door, press the button and wait for an officer to serve you. The US officer was pretty nice, but only answer questions concisely. My tip would be not to be the funny guy in any interactions with border officers, just smile, nod, and answer questions. Make sure you come out of the office with the paper that proves that you flagpoled. Also, pack lightly since they might search for you, but nothing like that happened with me.

Cross the bridge back to Canada the same way you came from.

On the Canadian Side:
After that, you'll notice an array of stalls that are processing cars. Don't be confused; they are there to serve pedestrians too. So walk up to them using the zebra crossing, present them your documents and get a slip (It was yellow for me). At this point, ask the officer at the stall where the main office is, and he'll direct you to it. Enter the office, submit your documents, take a sit and wait patiently to be called.

Good luck and Godspeed. Ask me anything if you'd like to know more.

I personally got my PGWP refused because my officer got to know that I had two part-time semesters during covid in my 5 years long undergrad (crazy rules, I know). I had a letter of explanation and heaps of supplemental documents, but the officer processing me didn't really want to reason with me or look deeply into my explanations. So I would suggest that you should flagpole only if you know you're guaranteed a permit. I'm probably going to try and apply online now. However, the officer gave me a visitor record for 4 months to figure stuff out, which was nice. I'm sure being a bit more argumentative could've played out for the better, but on the flip side, he also could have refused the work permit and asked me to leave before my study permit expired.
Hello,I am student that finished all my modules and got an official transcript that says all my grades but status till in progress. I got an job offer with LMIA and I would like to go and do flagpoling but am not sure if is ok to do it now since I am not graduated yet (my LOA it will finish 12th December but I got all modules and grades already).
Should I go and do flagpoling now or is not allowed?

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
Hello,I am student that finished all my modules and got an official transcript that says all my grades but status till in progress. I got an job offer with LMIA and I would like to go and do flagpoling but am not sure if is ok to do it now since I am not graduated yet (my LOA it will finish 12th December but I got all modules and grades already).
Should I go and do flagpoling now or is not allowed?

tangent

Nov 21, 2023
Update:

Hey guys, I went to the Peace Bridge recently. I would highly suggest you go there for Flagpoling too. Try reaching there by 7:30 AM and start walking to the US border. Please do not go any earlier since this will really piss off officers on both sides. I went there at 5:30 AM, and an officer suggested I come later for flagpoling. Also, ensure you have a thick skin on that day because some officers may talk to you very harshly and you'll just have to swallow it. Remember, your only priority is to get your permits -- don't let your pride or emotions interfere with that. Try to stay as nonchalant as possible and be their personal punching bag, and they'll respect you.

Important Note: They closed off the Mather Arch Park walkway due to some temporary work. Go to the office near Queen St. and follow the directions.

On the US Side:
After crossing the bridge and going through a turnstile, there's a door to a very small office. You'll notice a speaker and a button attached to the left side of the door, press the button and wait for an officer to serve you. The US officer was pretty nice, but only answer questions concisely. My tip would be not to be the funny guy in any interactions with border officers, just smile, nod, and answer questions. Make sure you come out of the office with the paper that proves that you flagpoled. Also, pack lightly since they might search for you, but nothing like that happened with me.

On the Canadian Side:
After that, you'll notice an array of stalls that are processing cars. Don't be confused; they are there to serve pedestrians too. So walk up to them using the zebra crossing, present them your documents and get a slip (It was yellow for me). At this point, ask the officer at the stall where the main office is, and he'll direct you to it. Enter the office, submit your documents, take a sit and wait patiently to be called.

I personally got my PGWP refused because my officer got to know that I had two part-time semesters during covid in my 5 years long undergrad (crazy rules, I know). I had a letter of explanation and heaps of supplemental documents, but the officer processing me didn't really want to reason with me or look deeply into my explanations. So I would suggest that you should flagpole only if you know you're guaranteed a permit. I'm probably going to try and apply online now. However, the officer gave me a visitor record for 4 months to figure stuff out, which was nice. I'm sure being a bit more argumentative could've played out for the better, but on the flip side, he also could have refused the work permit and asked me to leave before my study permit expired.
Hey there, thanks so much for your detailed update - super helpful! I'm so sorry you didn't get your PGWP, that's harsh, especially given the circumstances of your part-time study! Hope you get it online, fingers crossed.

I just wanted to ask, any particular reason why you chose Peace Bridge? I just read what was commented further up in this thread, about Thousand Islands being a safe bet and we personally like that border crossing, we usually go that way when driving over the border just because we like it, everyone is always nice and it's such a pretty place! But it's tiny, unlike Peace Bridge which is one of the main ones. Thoughts?

Also, why did you go on foot? Can you not do it driving? I've never really paid attention when we've crossed the border before, so I'm not sure I'd know how to do it walking! Is it better to walk or drive over the border?

My story, if you're interested: I'm planning to flagpole for PGWP next week. Ordinarily I'd just apply online and wait it out but I've been on implied status since July, still waiting for a study permit renewal since May, and it's causing me so many problems. My husband is on an open work permit, so he will need to have that renewed after my PGWP, which could prove tricky. I am definitely entitled to PGWP, all full time study for six years (PhD) so all good there, but I think we need to show financials for hubby to get his OWP. Fingers crossed anyway. And we have two kids on visitor records. Being on maintained status since July has meant we can't renew our SINs, which hubby's work isn't impressed with, and we can't renew our OHIP, which has cost us a bloody fortune the few times we've needed medical treatment! On top of that, hubby works for a company based in the UK so needs to travel, but can't because of the silly maintained status. So flagpoling it is. Wish us luck!

Mar 7, 2024
Update:

On the US Side:

On the Canadian Side:

Hi, i will be going to flagpole next week. Do I have to walk to the U.S boarder? What if I have someone to drive me?

Mar 7, 2024
Update:

On the US Side:

On the Canadian Side:

Can you please drop the exact address of the place.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, i will be going to flagpole next week. Do I have to walk to the U.S boarder? What if I have someone to drive me?
Have you called this border to verify if they still do flagpoling, is flagpoling limited to certain days and are there a limited number of applications that can be processed each day they process flagpoling applications? If there is a fixed amount of applications they allow on a day ask how many applications and whether it is first come first serve and at what time they start accepting applications and whether there are typically people already waiting in line when they start accepting applications so you know you should arrive early.