+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flag poling in current conditions. (COVID-19)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi I am on vistor visa in Canada I have job offer with LMIA. Can I apply work permit online because this is my first work permit should I need to country out ones. As flag poling is not possible now
You can apply online but you don't qualify to change your status within Canada. That means you need to submit an outside Canada app and if approved, would have to leave Canada and re-enter to activate the permit.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Any one Know Border going to open for flagpoling
Not open now and unlikely to open for flagpoling any time soon, maybe never given CBSA have often seen this as a workload they could do without as evident with the pre COVID restrictuons that were in place previously for Ontario.

Afgois

Aug 9, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-12-2018
Med's Done....
16-01-2019
Hey everyone. I was also approved for PR and am currently in Canada on a work permit. I was thinking, road boarders are closed, but what if I fly to the US and come back? Then they would process it at the airport right?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hey everyone. I was also approved for PR and am currently in Canada on a work permit. I was thinking, road boarders are closed, but what if I fly to the US and come back? Then they would process it at the airport right?
1. Except that is unlikely that US wouldn't admit you, since it won't be essential travel.

Afgois

Aug 9, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-12-2018
Med's Done....
16-01-2019
HI

1. Except that is unlikely that US wouldn't admit you, since it won't be essential travel.
Thanks for your answer. That sucks. It's basically a gamble then. I find it weird that PR approved people can travel from other countries to Canada but I am already here and can't do anything about it.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Unless you have a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident spouse / common law partner, it's pretty clear now that you cannot flagpole. There have been a number of people who have inquired now and have been told this is not possible and work permits won't be processed at the border since the border is now limited to essential traffic only. Your options are to apply online or mail in the application. Unfortunately you cannot work until you have the new work permit.
This is fun... I have a Canadian son.... Can I / my wife (non canadian) flagpole?

@canuck78 your opinion m'aam?

if you don’t come from a visa exempt country you don’t qualify for flagpoling. Just double checking that the employer has the LMIA not you. Given that Canada is in a recession and unemployment will be much higher that may start impacting WP approvals. The processing is going to take numerous months.
My wife will be LMIA-exempt.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Not open now and unlikely to open for flagpoling any time soon, maybe never given CBSA have often seen this as a workload they could do without as evident with the pre COVID restrictuons that were in place previously for Ontario.
Actually, to be honest, its IRCC's mistake. Even before covid, IRCC used to take forever for something as simple as a Work Permit. Applying a work permit or Study Permit from inside Canada has always been a hastle to say the least and a minefield many times. Massive wait times need to be reduced (during normal times). IRCC should automate most of this visa granting process (may be put quotas to limit flooding of immigrants).

Australia, for instances gives a Bridging visa automatically upon application from with in their country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually, to be honest, its IRCC's mistake. Even before covid, IRCC used to take forever for something as simple as a Work Permit. Applying a work permit or Study Permit from inside Canada has always been a hastle to say the least and a minefield many times. Massive wait times need to be reduced (during normal times). IRCC should automate most of this visa granting process (may be put quotas to limit flooding of immigrants).

Australia, for instances gives a Bridging visa automatically upon application from with in their country.
Automated won't pick up questionnable applications that's why it is not automated or automatic.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Automated won't pick up questionnable applications that's why it is not automated or automatic.
Automation has come a long way since basic file movement, I have myself developed automation which can catch fake good or fake product reviews with a great success. Plus you don't need full automation everywhere, just enough to speed up the process.

Anyways, its a wishful thinking. Even Express Entry, the online-paperless application for PR came in being in 2015 only. Previously it was so much slower paper-based process. Backlogs going back to 10 years were norm.

Last edited: