+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flag poling in current conditions. (COVID-19)

Tktm

Dec 11, 2018
Hello,
I hope you all are safe.
I have two questions.

1. is it still possible to flag pole after prime minister announcement of closing the border for unnecessary travel to the US.
2. If flag pole is not possible anymore, lets say I submit my application online, do I have to wait until my work permit is ready (almost 3 months) to work "with the new employee"? ( I have a different contract (not with same company))

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
I hope you all are safe.
I have two questions.

1. is it still possible to flag pole after prime minister announcement of closing the border for unnecessary travel to the US.
2. If flag pole is not possible anymore, lets say I submit my application online, do I have to wait until my work permit is ready (almost 3 months) to work "with the new employee"? ( I have a different contract (not with same company))
1. Flagpoling is not recommended give the closed borders since this means leaving Canada.
2. Yes - you have to wait until you have your new work permit before you can work for a new employer.

Tktm

Dec 11, 2018
1. Flagpoling is not recommended give the closed borders since this means leaving Canada.
2. Yes - you have to wait until you have your new work permit before you can work for a new employer.
Thank you for your fast replay,

1. however I need to change the employer and I was willing to do a flagpole to start soon, is there any solution for this situation?
2. can I apply for a new work permit with my new employee, but work while waiting in the current company?

Any replay will be very helpful to me,
Thank you in advance,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your fast replay,

1. however I need to change the employer and I was willing to do a flagpole to start soon, is there any solution for this situation?
2. can I apply for a new work permit with my new employee, but work while waiting in the current company?

Any replay will be very helpful to me,
Thank you in advance,
1. You can try flagpoling but you're putting yourself at risk of not being allowed back into Canada. Your choice. The only solution is to mail in your application or submit it online. There is no office you can go to.
2. Yes, you can continue working for your current employer.

Tktm

Dec 11, 2018
1. You can try flagpoling but you're putting yourself at risk of not being allowed back into Canada. Your choice. The only solution is to mail in your application or submit it online. There is no office you can go to.
2. Yes, you can continue working for your current employer.
Thank you for your replay,
I will call them and see what can I do, since I annot extend with my previous employee and I already signed a new contract :/

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your replay,
I will call them and see what can I do, since I annot extend with my previous employee and I already signed a new contract :/
Unless you have a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident spouse / common law partner, it's pretty clear now that you cannot flagpole. There have been a number of people who have inquired now and have been told this is not possible and work permits won't be processed at the border since the border is now limited to essential traffic only. Your options are to apply online or mail in the application. Unfortunately you cannot work until you have the new work permit.

Tktm

Dec 11, 2018
Unless you have a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident spouse / common law partner, it's pretty clear now that you cannot flagpole. There have been a number of people who have inquired now and have been told this is not possible and work permits won't be processed at the border since the border is now limited to essential traffic only. Your options are to apply online or mail in the application. Unfortunately you cannot work until you have the new work permit.
Hello again,

I have another question concerning this issue,
Is it at least possible to extend my current work permit untill things come back to normal where I will be able to flagpole ?

Thank you,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello again,

Is it at least possible to extend my current work permit untill things come back to normal where I will be able to flagpole ?

Thank you,
If you qualify to extend your current work permit, you can certainly do that.

balkarthik

Star Member
Nov 8, 2019
Hello again,

Thank you,

I would say, just give a try. Don't go by Car. Go by walk , inquire before you exit.

Reactions: leite13

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I would say, just give a try. Don't go by Car. Go by walk , inquire before you exit.
1. Did you read the CBSA posting about flagpoling?

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Immigration services
Travel for the purpose of obtaining immigration services is non-essential. If you are in Canada, and are seeking to travel to the border in order to make an application for a work permit, study permit or permanent residence, you are asked to consider federal and provincial guidelines for self-isolation and social distancing. Do not travel to the border for these services until further notice. If you are currently in Canada as a visitor, student or worker, you can apply online to IRCC to extend your temporary resident status. By doing so, you can continue to stay, study or work in Canada while your application is being processed. This is referred to as implied status, and as long as you apply before your current document expires, your current immigration authorizations and conditions remain unchanged. In-Canada services are available through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Reactions: Bs65 and Buletruck

Jose85

Apr 28, 2020
Hi, have you tried flagpole by foot? I recently got a job offer starting in May but without activated IEC work permit I cannot start working and the company doesn't sound optimistic to wait... At the moment, I am with the visitor status. I am thinking trying flagpole with my job offer, hope it would help. Any suggestion? I am afraid what it could happen in the case they won´t allow me?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, have you tried flagpole by foot? I recently got a job offer starting in May but without activated IEC work permit I cannot start working and the company doesn't sound optimistic to wait... At the moment, I am with the visitor status. I am thinking trying flagpole with my job offer, hope it would help. Any suggestion? I am afraid what it could happen in the case they won´t allow me?

Thanks
Foot and car is the same thing. Flagpoling is currenty unavailable. You can certainly try but don't drive too far just to try.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Thanks
Just read what was already posted above your travel will be considered non essential both by CBSA and US CBP so do not even try as your IEC permit will not be issued. Assume you have your mandatory travel insurance in place anyway including verufying that since COVID came about it is still valid given many companies are either no longer issuing poilcies or they are specifically excluding anything COVID related.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/noncan-eng.html

Last edited:

Sukhwinder1985

May 5, 2018
Hi I am on vistor visa in Canada I have job offer with LMIA. Can I apply work permit online because this is my first work permit should I need to country out ones. As flag poling is not possible now

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I am on vistor visa in Canada I have job offer with LMIA. Can I apply work permit online because this is my first work permit should I need to country out ones. As flag poling is not possible now
if you don’t come from a visa exempt country you don’t qualify for flagpoling. Just double checking that the employer has the LMIA not you. Given that Canada is in a recession and unemployment will be much higher that may start impacting WP approvals. The processing is going to take numerous months.