Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
Abhir1989 said:
Hello Guys,

I am in a situation and hope you can help me out with it.

My wife has applied for a PGWP and the current processing time is showing up as 140 days. Her sister is getting married and we have booked tickets for March.

Seeing that the processing times were too high she is a bit dejected that she would not be able to go home. I saw your post and got a ray of hope and was wondering how to go about it.

I have some questions that I could not get out of your comments there

1) We do not have a car, can we just walk over and get this done?
2) Her Study permit only expires in March can she still do it?

Your help would be more than appreciated

Thanking you

Abhinav R
Hi! Any update on your flagpoling?

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
Abhir1989 said:
Hello Guys,

I am in a situation and hope you can help me out with it.

My wife has applied for a PGWP and the current processing time is showing up as 140 days. Her sister is getting married and we have booked tickets for March.

Seeing that the processing times were too high she is a bit dejected that she would not be able to go home. I saw your post and got a ray of hope and was wondering how to go about it.

I have some questions that I could not get out of your comments there

1) We do not have a car, can we just walk over and get this done?
2) Her Study permit only expires in March can she still do it?

Your help would be more than appreciated

Thanking you

Abhinav R
1.- Yes (some borders have pedestrian paths)
2.- Yes (she has a valid permit)

rosamae

Star Member
Sep 17, 2010
If you have a valid study permit, work permit, or visitor record, and you leave Canada and visit only the United States, you do not need a valid temporary resident visa (TRV) to re-enter Canada. (See the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, Part 9, Division 5, Section 190:3f). This also applies to visitors, provided you return to Canada by the end of the initial period authorized for your stay in Canada (typically six months or less).

YOU DO NOT NEED A TRV TO FLAGPOLE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A VALID PERMIT!
Hi,

Is my expired work permit considered valid if I am on "implied" status? (I applied for work permit extension, before it's expiry). My visa sticker is also expired. Can I still do flagpole to get a new work permit?

td88

Aug 8, 2019
If you have a valid study permit, work permit, or visitor record, and you leave Canada and visit only the United States, you do not need a valid temporary resident visa (TRV) to re-enter Canada. (See the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, Part 9, Division 5, Section 190:3f). This also applies to visitors, provided you return to Canada by the end of the initial period authorized for your stay in Canada (typically six months or less).

YOU DO NOT NEED A TRV TO FLAGPOLE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A VALID PERMIT!
Hi, my wife's work permit has expired since July 31st. She applied for a Temporary Visitor record before the work permit expired. Now she is in Implied status waiting for a Temporary visitor record (has a submission confirmation). I am holding a valid work-permit now. Can both of us go flag-poling to get the spouse open work permit for my wife?
I am afraid of "no man's land" because we don't have any visa. (neither Canada nor US)

JWZR421

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
MVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
24-02-2016
Med's Request
Upfront Meds
Passport Req..
09-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2016
Hi, my wife's work permit has expired since July 31st. She applied for a Temporary Visitor record before the work permit expired. Now she is in Implied status waiting for a Temporary visitor record (has a submission confirmation). I am holding a valid work-permit now. Can both of us go flag-poling to get the spouse open work permit for my wife?
I am afraid of "no man's land" because we don't have any visa. (neither Canada nor US)
As far as I know, you will need to wait for the new permit to be approved as you have submitted it already. And they don’t issue permits at the border.

td88

Aug 8, 2019
As far as I know, you will need to wait for the new permit to be approved as you have submitted it already. And they don’t issue permits at the border.
I've already had my work permit. My wife applied for Temporary Visitor Record, not an open work permit. She's not applied for her open work permit et. I've heard lots of people get their PGWP and Spouse Open Work permit at POE by doing flagpole.

JWZR421

Star Member
Feb 24, 2016
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
MVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
24-02-2016
Med's Request
Upfront Meds
Passport Req..
09-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-06-2016
I've already had my work permit. My wife applied for Temporary Visitor Record, not an open work permit. She's not applied for her open work permit et. I've heard lots of people get their PGWP and Spouse Open Work permit at POE by doing flagpole.
Well if that's the case then go ahead. But as far as I know they do not give out TRV's at the border. I used to be on a TRV and it expired. The call center discouraged me to do flagpole bec they do not do it, instead, I applied online and waited for a new TRV.

nikhilch

Jul 26, 2020
You need to be in status and have a valid multiple entry visa in order to flagpole. Since you are out of status, you need to apply for restoration along with applying for the PGWP extension again.
Hey Scylla, I am in the same situation. Have you done flag-polling?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

nikhilch

Jul 26, 2020
I completed my master's program full-time on 28th April 2023 (Friday).
My study permit and TRV expired on 30th April (Sunday)
I received my course completion letter and official transcripts from my university on 1st May 2023 (Monday)
I applied for PGWP on 3rd May 2023 (Wednesday). I included the restoration of the student status payment receipt in the file and explained the above timeline.

In this case, I am not supposed to work until my PGWP gets approved. Processing time for PGWP is almost 5-6 months. I am a student with huge education loans and responsibilities. So I am looking for alternative ways to get PGWP and I found one option, that is flag polling.

Do you suggest me to do a flagpole in my situation? or what shall i do in this situation? Please help me.

nikhilch

Jul 26, 2020
I completed my master's program full-time on 28th April 2023 (Friday).
My study permit and TRV expired on 30th April (Sunday)
I received my course completion letter and official transcripts from my university on 1st May 2023 (Monday)
I applied for PGWP on 3rd May 2023 (Wednesday). I included the restoration of the student status payment receipt in the file and explained the above timeline.

In this case, I am not supposed to work until my PGWP gets approved. Processing time for PGWP is almost 5-6 months. I am a student with huge education loans and responsibilities. So I am looking for alternative ways to get PGWP and I found one option, that is flag polling.

Do you suggest me to do a flagpole in my situation? or what shall i do in this situation? Please help me.

prospectiveab

Star Member
Jul 19, 2020
No. I haven't.
Hey Scylla, I have a PGWP issued for 8/36 months due to an expiring passport, a reprint lost in the mail and my physical permit invalidated due to me asking for a reprint back in November 2022.

Can I flagpole having a valid TRV (visitor) and a PGWP (hard-copy) that's invalid but the valid one is lost in the mail? I want to get my extension from the border crossing as IRCC now takes 6-8 months to process applications.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey Scylla, I have a PGWP issued for 8/36 months due to an expiring passport, a reprint lost in the mail and my physical permit invalidated due to me asking for a reprint back in November 2022.

Can I flagpole having a valid TRV (visitor) and a PGWP (hard-copy) that's invalid but the valid one is lost in the mail? I want to get my extension from the border crossing as IRCC now takes 6-8 months to process applications.
I don't know.

Reactions: prospectiveab