+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flag pole To Extend PGWP, With expired visa and permit

Canguy05

Jan 23, 2016
Hi Experts
I was entitle to a 3 year PGWP but only got it until my passport expiry (Nov 29 2015)
Sent Paper application for PGWP extension, CPC recieved it on october 19th,
Returned my application yesterday, Turned out that i paid $ 155 Instead of $255,

My Visa is expired and PGWP is also expired. But I have a WORK PERMIT SUPPORT LETTER Form PNP
So my question is:
can I Flagpole with expired visa and PGWP to extend my PGWP, ?

Thanks in advance for the help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to be in status and have a valid multiple entry visa in order to flagpole. Since you are out of status, you need to apply for restoration along with applying for the PGWP extension again.

numair728

Star Member
Apr 19, 2014
scylla said:
You need to be in status and have a valid multiple entry visa in order to flagpole. Since you are out of status, you need to apply for restoration along with applying for the PGWP extension again.
Hi,
i have got my pgwp until march 24 2016. my visa is expired and i do not have a u.s visa as well. can you please tell me if i am able to flagpole. or should i apply for the visa today. and get the visa and then go for the flagpolling.

Regards,
Numair

nelaturuk

Jan 27, 2016
Can anyone explain to me what flagpole is ? My husband has a valid visitor visa. I am on a PGWP. Can he do flagpole to get Open work permit for himself?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
nelaturuk said:
Can anyone explain to me what flagpole is ? My husband has a valid visitor visa. I am on a PGWP. Can he do flagpole to get Open work permit for himself?
Does he hold a valid multiple entry visa or single entry?

diamondxxx

Star Member
Sep 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August-27-2015
Nomination.....
August-13-2015
AOR Received.
November-20-2015
Med's Request
June-1-2016
Med's Done....
June-27-2016
Passport Req..
Dec-8-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Dec-13-2016
LANDED..........
Dec-17-2016
Hello OP don't let Scylla confuse you man. You can re-enter canada with any valid permit as long as you haven't been outside the USA and mont-pierre island (Can't really remember the name but it's a french Island). I did it while i was a student without a valid TRV and i'm going to do it again to renew my WP. Put a call through to CBSA if you are in doubt, i called CBSA personally and they confirmed you don't need a TRV to come into canada from the USA and the other island all you need is a valid and genuine Work Permit, Study Permit or Visitor's Record (Which is also known as Visitor's Permit). I hope you find this helpful.

numair728

Star Member
Apr 19, 2014
diamondxxx said:
Hello OP don't let Scylla confuse you man. You can re-enter canada with any valid permit as long as you haven't been outside the USA and mont-pierre island (Can't really remember the name but it's a french Island). I did it while i was a student without a valid TRV and i'm going to do it again to renew my WP. Put a call through to CBSA if you are in doubt, i called CBSA personally and they confirmed you don't need a TRV to come into canada from the USA and the other island all you need is a valid and genuine Work Permit, Study Permit or Visitor's Record (Which is also known as Visitor's Permit). I hope you find this helpful.
can you share the phone number of CBSA? i want to ask them if i can extend my permit by flagpolling ( i have heard stories about refusals. but since mine has a mistake from cic's side. i want to be 100% sure before i go to flagpole)

thanks and regards

Roah

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
scylla said:

Hi,

I need help, I'm very confused as to what to do..
I work as I caregiver.
I applied for my work permit in New York ( since I'm in Canada as a tourist and got offered a positive LmO for LCP program ), the release date was June 13, 2014 and the expiry date is June 15,2016 ( on the sticker )
I flagpoled in Surrey, BC in July 2014 for the 're-entry' , and i got approved!
My employer put me in her payroll in August 01, 2014, my taxes and everything shows I started working in that date.

Now working my way into my contract
My question is when does the 1st day of 24 months start? In my case, I am really confused.
I know a person needs 24 months or 3,900 hours of work to apply for open work/ Permanent residency. I feel like I am missing 'weeks'

Should I apply before June for worke permit extension and then apply for open work/PR once August is over?

I hope you can help me.
Thank you so much for your precious time.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
numair728 said:
Hi,
i have got my pgwp until march 24 2016. my visa is expired and i do not have a u.s visa as well. can you please tell me if i am able to flagpole. or should i apply for the visa today. and get the visa and then go for the flagpolling.

Regards,
Numair
If your Visa is expired YOU CAN'T COME BACK to Canada.

numair728

Star Member
Apr 19, 2014
Gregor.Samsa said:
If your Visa is expired YOU CAN'T COME BACK to Canada.
HI thank you for replying, one thing i missed to mention that i have a valid PGWP until 24 march 2016. eligible for extension. i got it until my passport's expiration date.
thanks

Abhir1989

Feb 25, 2013
Hello Guys,

I am in a situation and hope you can help me out with it.

My wife has applied for a PGWP and the current processing time is showing up as 140 days. Her sister is getting married and we have booked tickets for March.

Seeing that the processing times were too high she is a bit dejected that she would not be able to go home. I saw your post and got a ray of hope and was wondering how to go about it.

I have some questions that I could not get out of your comments there

1) We do not have a car, can we just walk over and get this done?
2) Her Study permit only expires in March can she still do it?

Your help would be more than appreciated

Thanking you

Abhinav R

nipuns1

Star Member
Nov 8, 2012
canada
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-06-2017
Passport Req..
05-10-2017
LANDED..........
04-11-2017
hi

my work permit is expiring on 12 march 2016 . my employer requires me to get a renewed work permit before expiry. i am planning to do a flagpole is it the best option for me to o or should i get a implied status letter from cic but it will take a long time since i applied in january end

Thanks

diamondxxx

Star Member
Sep 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August-27-2015
Nomination.....
August-13-2015
AOR Received.
November-20-2015
Med's Request
June-1-2016
Med's Done....
June-27-2016
Passport Req..
Dec-8-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Dec-13-2016
LANDED..........
Dec-17-2016
If you have a valid study permit, work permit, or visitor record, and you leave Canada and visit only the United States, you do not need a valid temporary resident visa (TRV) to re-enter Canada. (See the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, Part 9, Division 5, Section 190:3f). This also applies to visitors, provided you return to Canada by the end of the initial period authorized for your stay in Canada (typically six months or less).

YOU DO NOT NEED A TRV TO FLAGPOLE AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A VALID PERMIT!

Reactions: pattipatts