+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First time tax filer: 3 months and counting still no tax refund. Help

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
Hello guys,

My parents and I are new immigrants last June 2015. We filed our tax (first time tax filer) last April 21, 2016 by paper return because we were told that for first time tax filers, we have to submit it by mail. It`s been three months already and we haven't received our tax return yet. We have been calling CRA and they kept on telling us to wait for 16 weeks if it`s our first time filing our taxes.

I was just wondering why it takes so long for them to respond and get our taxes back? through what process do they do that makes it so long? I`m quite worried because we have been waiting for a long time.

Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
pussmercs said:
Hello guys,

My parents and I are new immigrants last June 2015. We filed our tax (first time tax filer) last April 21, 2016 by paper return because we were told that for first time tax filers, we have to submit it by mail. It`s been three months already and we haven't received our tax return yet. We have been calling CRA and they kept on telling us to wait for 16 weeks if it`s our first time filing our taxes.

I was just wondering why it takes so long for them to respond and get our taxes back? through what process do they do that makes it so long? I`m quite worried because we have been waiting for a long time.

Your answers are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
First time tax return takes a longer time to process. It was approx 6 months in 2014. You can call CRA and they will be able to advise you what the average 1st time processing is in 2016.

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
jomz said:
First time tax return takes a longer time to process. It was approx 6 months in 2014. You can call CRA and they will be able to advise you what the average 1st time processing is in 2016.
Woah really? Yeah. It`s been 16 weeks and I still have no tax return or response or even a letter from CRA. I swear, this sucks. I don`t know if I should worry or not. :(

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Why would you be worried? CRA got lots to do, it's not like they sit around doing nothing.

First time does take longer, why is that a problem?

Many people get their T4 in February and start filing their taxes pretty much at the same time, so March, April and May is one busy time for them.

In my home country it takes way longer than in Canada and I survived :)

Relax! You're gonna be fine!

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I never have to wait here in BC. I go to HR Block, file my taxes and within an hour I get my money transferred into my account. Even when I was filing for the first time it only took days..

pussmercs

Feb 6, 2016
Yeap. I called CRA awhile ago to express my concern. They said I can file a duplicate return if the tax centre haven't responded to my written letter (which I wrote last July 23) and i'm planning to go to HR block to have me and my parents' taxes fixed. I will update you guys :)