Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
22-02-2017 (Passed: 20-04-2017)
Hi all

Here are some tips to share based on my own experience:

1) Do not follow the Canadian PR/Citizens queue even though you are landing as a PR.
2) Join the other line for International Arrivals (just like other tourists). Scan/Print out your custom declaration at the machine kiosks. No Canadian custom forms provided during my flight.
3) You may fill in the custom declaration manually (paper) if the machine fails to read your CBSA app e-declaration. The helpful airport support staff are always there to assist.
4) You will only be allowed to join the CBSA queue with the pre-printed slip containing your photo taken + your declaration details.
5) Inform the CBSA officer that you are coming to Canada as a new immigrant. This is where you show your passport, COPR, custom goods forms etc. The landing formality is only conducted at a separate hall, not during this stage. I was asked on the total funds I brought into Canada but the officer did not request to see the proof.
6) Next you shall be directed to collect your checked luggages (if any) at the carousels about 30-40m away after clearing CBSA.
7) Then you have to walk back (right side) to the hall with the Students/Work Permits & New Immigrants sign. An officer will ask for your passport/COPR before allowing entry.
8) Here, you will wait to be called up with others to complete your 'actual' landing formalities as a PR. No queue number provided. You will be asked the questions on your COPR. Once the officer signs it, you are officially a landed Canadian PR. The COPR with your photo will be retained by the officer. You will be given the other copy.
9) If you do not have a mailing address for the PR card to be sent, you can update it later via phone/fax/IRCC online address notification.
10). Do not forget to show the custom declaration form again before you exit the airport custom area as this is the final checkpoint, even if you have no items to declare.

In short: Print custom form at kiosk- CBSA clearance - Collect checked luggage - Enter the hall for new immigrants- Return printed custom form - Exit airport custom area

I arrived on the morning where many other international flights from Far East landed within the same hour. It was very crowded during the custom clearance part. The PR landing formalities took about 40 minutes. My flights landed at 10.30am & I was out of the airport by 12.15pm.

Last edited:

fotjon

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Category........
FSW
Hi,

Concerning the CBSA app e-declaration, how should you answer "Are you a CC or a Permanent Resident of Canada?"

Should you answer NO, if you are entering as a new immigrant, even though you have a COPR?

joes

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
02-08-2017
Doc's Request.
11-09-2017
Nomination.....
NOT APPLICABLE
AOR Received.
03-08-2017
IELTS Request
NOT APPLICABLE
File Transfer...
21-09-2017
Med's Request
14-09-2017
Med's Done....
02-10-2017
Interview........
NOT REQUESTED
Passport Req..
15-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2018
LANDED..........
27-03-2018
Hi all

1) Do not follow the Canadian PR/Citizens queue even though you are landing as a PR.
2) Join the other line for International Arrivals (just like other tourists). Scan/Print out your custom declaration at the machine kiosks. No Canadian custom forms provided during my flight.
3) You may fill in the custom declaration manually (paper) if the machine fails to read your CBSA app e-declaration. The helpful airport support staff are always there to assist.
4) You will only be allowed to join the CBSA queue with the pre-printed slip containing your photo taken + your declaration details.
5) Inform the CBSA officer that you are coming to Canada as a new immigrant. This is where you show your passport, COPR, custom goods forms etc. The landing formality is only conducted at a separate hall, not during this stage. I was asked on the total funds I brought into Canada but the officer did not request to see the proof.
6) Next you shall be directed to collect your checked luggages (if any) at the carousels about 30-40m away after clearing CBSA.
7) Then you have to walk back (right side) to the hall with the Students/Work Permits & New Immigrants sign. An officer will ask for your passport/COPR before allowing entry.
8) Here, you will wait to be called up with others to complete your 'actual' landing formalities as a PR. No queue number provided. You will be asked the questions on your COPR. Once the officer signs it, you are officially a landed Canadian PR. The COPR with your photo will be retained by the officer. You will be given the other copy.
9) If you do not have a mailing address for the PR card to be sent, you can update it later via phone/fax/IRCC online address notification.
10). Do not forget to show the custom declaration form again before you exit the airport custom area as this is the final checkpoint, even if you have no items to declare.

In short: Print custom form at kiosk- CBSA clearance - Collect checked luggage - Enter the hall for new immigrants- Return printed custom form - Exit airport custom area

I arrived on the morning where many other international flights from Far East landed within the same hour. It was very crowded during the custom clearance part. The PR landing formalities took about 40 minutes. My flights landed at 10.30am & I was out of the airport by 12.15pm.
Great information!

Although here's a question regarding the CBSA border app. It asks "How long have you been away from Canada?"

If you're entering Canada for your first time, which answer would you pick?

When I set up a new traveller where it asks "Are you a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident of Canada"?, it gives you a different set of questions.

My wife is entering Canada as a permanent resident.

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
Hi,

Concerning the CBSA app e-declaration, how should you answer "Are you a CC or a Permanent Resident of Canada?"

Should you answer NO, if you are entering as a new immigrant, even though you have a COPR?
I ticked YES for that and the machine failed to process my details. Ended up declaring manually.
I am unsure what would happen if the answer is otherwise.
In my opinion the app is not working as well as we probably expected.

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
Great information!

Although here's a question regarding the CBSA border app. It asks "How long have you been away from Canada?"

If you're entering Canada for your first time, which answer would you pick?

When I set up a new traveller where it asks "Are you a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident of Canada"?, it gives you a different set of questions.

My wife is entering Canada as a permanent resident.
Tricky one..back in Jan this year the machine failed to read the info I saved on the app.
Yes, you are right. The questions asked were not adequately linked. However the situation could change for better (or hopefully not worse) in the near future.
In the worst scenario..I would advise your wife to declare manually upon landing.

joes

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
02-08-2017
Doc's Request.
11-09-2017
Nomination.....
NOT APPLICABLE
AOR Received.
03-08-2017
IELTS Request
NOT APPLICABLE
File Transfer...
21-09-2017
Med's Request
14-09-2017
Med's Done....
02-10-2017
Interview........
NOT REQUESTED
Passport Req..
15-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2018
LANDED..........
27-03-2018
Tricky one..back in Jan this year the machine failed to read the info I saved on the app.
Yes, you are right. The questions asked were not adequately linked. However the situation could change for better (or hopefully not worse) in the near future.
In the worst scenario..I would advise your wife to declare manually upon landing.
Thank you for the information. The last time I arrived through YVR, I filled out a Traveller Declaration card - Form E311. Although I'm a Nexus member so I always use the machine for re-entering Canada. Does airlines still hand out those forms, even though YVR went all digital should their kiosk fail to read data entered into the app?

StonicStone

Jan 5, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
03-03-2017
Med's Done....
Thank you for the information. The last time I arrived through YVR, I filled out a Traveller Declaration card - Form E311. Although I'm a Nexus member so I always use the machine for re-entering Canada. Does airlines still hand out those forms, even though YVR went all digital should their kiosk fail to read data entered into the app?
I took Japan Airlines & wasnt given the declaration card.
I wasnt sure about other airlines though.

munozgerman

Jan 4, 2018
Thank you so much. I have 2 questions:

1. Did the procedure to give you your SIN happen in the airport? Did you leave the airport with that number?
2. What others errands you had to do immediately after getting out the airport (other than health insurance, House rental)?

I’ll appreciate your response

Hi all

Hi all

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much. I have 2 questions:

1. Did the procedure to give you your SIN happen in the airport? Did you leave the airport with that number?
2. What others errands you had to do immediately after getting out the airport (other than health insurance, House rental)?

I’ll appreciate your response
1) Only if you landed in Toronto, can you get SIN in the airport. As the title of thread said, the OP will have to get it outside the airport.
2) He need transportation to get out of the airport

joes

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
02-08-2017
Doc's Request.
11-09-2017
Nomination.....
NOT APPLICABLE
AOR Received.
03-08-2017
IELTS Request
NOT APPLICABLE
File Transfer...
21-09-2017
Med's Request
14-09-2017
Med's Done....
02-10-2017
Interview........
NOT REQUESTED
Passport Req..
15-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2018
LANDED..........
27-03-2018
The SIN number issuance isn’t available in YVR.

For my wife, we went to our local service Canada office and after waiting about 40 minutes, an officer issued her SIN on the spot. Make sure they bring with them their COPR document signed by the immigration officer at the airport, the Canada visa inside passport, and passport stamped by the CBSA.

You should also apply immediately for health coverage for the province to which you reside. You will also need the same items - COPR and passport with CBSA stamp inside. It can take between 5-10 business days to get the card. If medical visits are necessary, you would be charged for a visit to a doctor but save the receipts and when you get the new medical card, apply for a refund. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

joes

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
02-08-2017
Doc's Request.
11-09-2017
Nomination.....
NOT APPLICABLE
AOR Received.
03-08-2017
IELTS Request
NOT APPLICABLE
File Transfer...
21-09-2017
Med's Request
14-09-2017
Med's Done....
02-10-2017
Interview........
NOT REQUESTED
Passport Req..
15-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2018
LANDED..........
27-03-2018
One other thing experienced during the landing process at YVR is if you’re connecting to a different Canadian city, make sure you allow at least 4 hours minimum connection time. My wife took almost 3.5 hours to “get landed”.

joes

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
MANILA
App. Filed.......
02-08-2017
Doc's Request.
11-09-2017
Nomination.....
NOT APPLICABLE
AOR Received.
03-08-2017
IELTS Request
NOT APPLICABLE
File Transfer...
21-09-2017
Med's Request
14-09-2017
Med's Done....
02-10-2017
Interview........
NOT REQUESTED
Passport Req..
15-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2018
LANDED..........
27-03-2018
What is the minimum amount of cash the immigration officer would accept for one person ?
There’s not really a “minimum” to carry as they know your sponsor signed an undertaking you are financially responsible for the principal applicant. When my wife came, she had just over $250.00 Canadian funds with her. The immigration officer didn’t even ask how much money she was carrying. She travelled alone.