+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First-time Landing for Canada PR: Can I land at the airport from a third country ?

viske998

Jun 15, 2018
Hi All,

I am supposed to land in Canada for the PR activation before 1st June 2019. I will be moving there permanently at a later point in time, so would be making a short-trip before June for the mandatory formalities.

Situation:
My company is sending me to the UK for 2 months on a project (April - May), so I am thinking of landing in Canada directly from the UK rather than coming back to India and then going there. This would cut-down my flight travel time and the cost by half (it is quite considerable from India) and makes more sense to me personally.

Ask:
Is it possible? Basically, is there a requirement to make the first landing from the country the PR was applied from ? (I am in doubt because a friend of mine in Canada raised this point when I spoke to him about my tentative plans).

Appreciate your inputs.

PS: This forum has helped me immensely on my PR journey and I just can't thank people enough.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So a question on why someone would have an issue if there are no direct flights from their home country they would be arriving from a country other than their home country even if that was via a transit or layover country they would have no choice.

Others can comment as well but do not think makes any difference which country you fly in from as long as you have all the necessary documentation to board a flight and complete your PR landing.

Keep in mind that you still need a Canadian address for your PR card which you will need or a PRTD to fly back eventually to Canada whether that is from India or the UK. Initial cards can take 6-8 weeks and will not be mailed by IRCC outside of Canada, there is no published time for PRTDs. So this needs to be factored into your plan given your UK timeline.

Last edited:
Reactions: zardoz and viske998

soniasam

Jun 19, 2018
hi, can i know if its ok to land in canada from a country OTHER than your home country? I need to make a trip to US, and a round trip from JFK is much cheaper than multi trip. Please advise
Thanks

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I have no idea where/why people assume these myths. This, and the “use a TRV within 6 months” nonsense. I’m so confused where they get these from.

Reactions: k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Uninformed consultants and advisors spinning stories that gain the weight of truth because everyone says them.

I'm halfway tempted to say that you can only arrive in Canada via a third country only if you have transited both the equator and either the 180 or 0 latitudes in a clockwise manner. Any other path involves the immediate cancellation of both your visa but also your passport, and you will be stuck at Pearson for the rest of your natural life.