Never
Med's Done....
July 2015
Passport Req..
04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2015
spyfy said:
I don't think that Service Canada offers services directly at the airport anymore, but I might have just not paid attention to it. Steaky, when did you land? Recently or some years ago?

It definitely can't hurt to look out for one. Best thing you can do is just ask the immigration officer during the landing process if that is still possible. But even it if isn't, SC has offices all over the place and as long as you don't during the later afternoon (when people come from work) you wait for maybe 10 minutes, if even (at least that was the case for the four times I had to go to a SC office).
Looks like Steaky wrote that a year ago. I will be landing 5.50 PM, so will visit SC sometime next day.

Michal

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
AOR Received.
15-11-2015
IELTS Request
Never
Med's Done....
July 2015
Passport Req..
04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2015
Bincanada said:
No, you can't apply for PR Card before landing. What you can do is update your Canadian based address - if you know it in advance - using ECAS before you land. And once at the border, the officer will ask you what your Canadian address will be and you'll further confirm with them.

If you don't know your Canadian address before-hand and during landing, then you have up to 180 days I think it is to update your address in ECAS online for PR Card purposes. Then they will mail the PR Card to that address after normal processing time.
I don't know if ECAS is still available for Express Entry PRs to log in. I lost access to it back in Nov. 2015 and never got it back, so I would not be able to change the address.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Michal said:
I don't know if ECAS is still available for Express Entry PRs to log in. I lost access to it back in Nov. 2015 and never got it back, so I would not be able to change the address.
You can inform them of your address during landing, that's totally routine.

Michal

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
AOR Received.
15-11-2015
IELTS Request
Never
Med's Done....
July 2015
Passport Req..
04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2015
Yeah, I know. Just wanted to point out that ECAS is not really accessible for many of us.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
If we don't have a fixed address in our destination province, what address do we give them for PR card. (planning to stay in hotel couple of days)

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
One_Topsy said:
If we don't have a fixed address in our destination province, what address do we give them for PR card. (planning to stay in hotel couple of days)
You can tell them that during landing, and they will give you a form to fax in later with your address once you know it.
It's also perfectly fine to give them a friend's or relative's address who can receive the card for you, should you choose to do that.

redrose11

Feb 26, 2016
Bincanada said:
No, you can't apply for PR Card before landing. What you can do is update your Canadian based address - if you know it in advance - using ECAS before you land. And once at the border, the officer will ask you what your Canadian address will be and you'll further confirm with them.

If you don't know your Canadian address before-hand and during landing, then you have up to 180 days I think it is to update your address in ECAS online for PR Card purposes. Then they will mail the PR Card to that address after normal processing time.

Re: original post, your first and most important obligation is to go to a Service Canada location immediately upon landing and get your Social Insurance Number. SIN SIN SIN! That is step #1 after landing. You aren't able to utilize your Canadian residency until you get your SIN and its a good idea to memorize it and make it your own. The SIN is your key to any employment activity, banking, social services, and it is important for basic things like credit applications even if you're at a store and just want to purchase goods on credit.

*Everything else* comes after that, you already have a good idea based on the list I read. Go to the provincial services offices and get either an ID Card or Driver License if you already qualify, and get your health card. Sometimes you can do this at the same agency, but here in Manitoba I had to go to two offices for health and then driver license and/or provincial ID.

Once you get these basic items, you can then use your COPR and SIN and Provincial ID/driver license to start your life and create a bank account, phone service, etc. Banking, utilities, etc. come last. You need your SIN, provincial health and ID first. And for those that have a 3 month wait, go to the health office and request information anyway. They can at least show you what to do, and maybe assist in getting private coverage if needed.
Thanks Bincanada for useful information :)

@One_Topsy COPR is very important paper, please keep it in the safe box :D

infomaniac

Apr 23, 2016
Bincanada said:

Re: original post, your first and most important obligation is to go to a Service Canada location immediately upon landing and get your Social Insurance Number. SIN SIN SIN! That is step #1 after landing. You aren't able to utilize your Canadian residency until you get your SIN and its a good idea to memorize it and make it your own. The SIN is your key to any employment activity, banking, social services, and it is important for basic things like credit applications even if you're at a store and just want to purchase goods on credit.

*Everything else* comes after that, you already have a good idea based on the list I read. Go to the provincial services offices and get either an ID Card or Driver License if you already qualify, and get your health card. Sometimes you can do this at the same agency, but here in Manitoba I had to go to two offices for health and then driver license and/or provincial ID.

Once you get these basic items, you can then use your COPR and SIN and Provincial ID/driver license to start your life and create a bank account, phone service, etc. Banking, utilities, etc. come last. You need your SIN, provincial health and ID first. And for those that have a 3 month wait, go to the health office and request information anyway. They can at least show you what to do, and maybe assist in getting private coverage if needed.
Great info, thanks!