+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First thing to do after landing

baba79

Jan 9, 2015
Please guide me about the initial things to do after landing

1- Applying the PR Card (that will be done at Airport)
2- Applying to Social Insurance Number (SIN Card) for this we have to visit Govt service office
3- Applying for Medical Card (how I don’t know)
4- Open Bank Account
5- Register for National Tax System (by this we can get the benefit of kids)
Please guide me how to do this

Thanks

Baba

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Assume you are a new landing immigrant, you should have applied your PR card before receiving your COPR in your passport. So, no, you don't need to apply the PR card again at the airport
2) If you are landing at YYZ, you can apply your SIN Card at the airport
3) Go to the registry or mail a form (if in BC)
4) Just visit any bank branches
5) Visit http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cctb/ and mail your forms

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SIN card at Service Canada. Health at Service (province), Service Alberta, Service Ontario, etc. There may be a wait period to qualify for coverage but you may still apply for the card regardless. Tax related questions should be directed to CRA, best to speak to an agent on phone.

baba79

Jan 9, 2015
steaky said:
1) Assume you are a new landing immigrant, you should have applied your PR card before receiving your COPR in your passport. So, no, you don't need to apply the PR card again at the airport
3) Go to the registry or mail a form (if in BC)
4) Just visit any bank branches
thanks for reply
about point no. 1
last month i get immigrant visa with landing paper , what is this "COPR"
i don't understand your point , may you explain further ?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
baba79 said:
thanks for reply
about point no. 1
last month i get immigrant visa with landing paper , what is this "COPR"
i don't understand your point , may you explain further ?
Your landing paper = COPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence. After reading the thread below, you might have better understanding that you don't need to apply the PR card again at the airport:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/weird-landing-experience-t263880.0.html

ramanweb

Dec 15, 2014
Hi
What all we should have while landing at the airport ?
I mean what are dos and donts while landing for the first time in Canada.

Regards,

AMJ

Mar 2, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
CanV said:
....... There may be a wait period to qualify for coverage but you may still apply for the card regardless.
Yes & for new immigrants, it is advisable to get 3 months health coverage from the country of their residence as the wait period for Health Card is nearly 3 months.

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AMJ said:
Yes & for new immigrants, it is advisable to get 3 months health coverage from the country of their residence as the wait period for Health Card is nearly 3 months.
Good advice. Also would like to point out that for Manitoba and Alberta, coverage might be available immediately for newly landed immigrants to Canada without any waiting period. Ontario has the 3-month waiting period. I don't know about other provinces.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
I would also recommend meeting with the immigrant service organization in your area to see what help they offer.

arifsaha

Nov 21, 2013
steaky said:
This is not correct. What happened is, once the PR is granted (by signing Confirmation of PR letter which accompany the PR visa), then CIC automatically started the PR Card application process.

steaky said:
This is good to know.

arifsaha

Nov 21, 2013
AMJ said:
for new immigrants, it is advisable to get 3 months health coverage from the country of their residence as the wait period for Health Card is nearly 3 months.
This is not accurate. If one moved to Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland and Labrador from outside Canada (e.g. landing and go directly to those provinces to stay), then your health coverage start the moment you arrived, no waiting period, therefore there are no need for 3 months health coverage.

ht7

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Your landing paper = COPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence. After reading the thread below, you might have better understanding that you don't need to apply the PR card again at the airport:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/weird-landing-experience-t263880.0.html
I read it and one thing is not clear to me. Can I apply for a PR card before landing? Can I give a friend's address online in advance?

Bincanada

May 19, 2015
ht7 said:
I read it and one thing is not clear to me. Can I apply for a PR card before landing? Can I give a friend's address online in advance?
No, you can't apply for PR Card before landing. What you can do is update your Canadian based address - if you know it in advance - using ECAS before you land. And once at the border, the officer will ask you what your Canadian address will be and you'll further confirm with them.

If you don't know your Canadian address before-hand and during landing, then you have up to 180 days I think it is to update your address in ECAS online for PR Card purposes. Then they will mail the PR Card to that address after normal processing time.

Re: original post, your first and most important obligation is to go to a Service Canada location immediately upon landing and get your Social Insurance Number. SIN SIN SIN! That is step #1 after landing. You aren't able to utilize your Canadian residency until you get your SIN and its a good idea to memorize it and make it your own. The SIN is your key to any employment activity, banking, social services, and it is important for basic things like credit applications even if you're at a store and just want to purchase goods on credit.

*Everything else* comes after that, you already have a good idea based on the list I read. Go to the provincial services offices and get either an ID Card or Driver License if you already qualify, and get your health card. Sometimes you can do this at the same agency, but here in Manitoba I had to go to two offices for health and then driver license and/or provincial ID.

Once you get these basic items, you can then use your COPR and SIN and Provincial ID/driver license to start your life and create a bank account, phone service, etc. Banking, utilities, etc. come last. You need your SIN, provincial health and ID first. And for those that have a 3 month wait, go to the health office and request information anyway. They can at least show you what to do, and maybe assist in getting private coverage if needed.

Michal

Jun 17, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2015
AOR Received.
15-11-2015
IELTS Request
Never
Med's Done....
July 2015
Passport Req..
04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-12-2015
steaky said:
Is that still the case - is there a Service Canada office directly at the airport?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Michal said:
Is that still the case - is there a Service Canada office directly at the airport?
I don't think that Service Canada offers services directly at the airport anymore, but I might have just not paid attention to it. Steaky, when did you land? Recently or some years ago?

It definitely can't hurt to look out for one. Best thing you can do is just ask the immigration officer during the landing process if that is still possible. But even it if isn't, SC has offices all over the place and as long as you don't during the later afternoon (when people come from work) you wait for maybe 10 minutes, if even (at least that was the case for the four times I had to go to a SC office).