+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Stage Approval - Work Permit

azarme09

Oct 25, 2013
App. Filed.......
22-10-2018
Hi!

I am in the processes of starting an inland PR application soon (I'm getting married next month). I currently have a visit visa. I know that I will be eligible to apply for a work permit after the first stage approval but I was wondering if that permit can be granted before a job offer has been made or do I have to apply for a job first, get the employment, and then apply for a work permit?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this question.

Cheers!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will be applying for what is called an Open Work Permit (OWP) which would allow you to work *almost* anywhere (i.e., you can't work as a stripper).

You can either send the OWP with your Inland sponsorship application, or wait until you have your AIP (First stage approval) and then apply for your OWP.
Either way, it will likely be ~11 months before you receive it.

So, I suspect your potential employer would rather you had your approved OWP in hand, before offering you a job, but...who knows.

Good luck!

azarme09

Oct 25, 2013
App. Filed.......
22-10-2018
Ponga said:
You will be applying for what is called an Open Work Permit (OWP) which would allow you to work *almost* anywhere (i.e., you can't work as a stripper).

You can either send the OWP with your Inland sponsorship application, or wait until you have your AIP (First stage approval) and then apply for your OWP.
Either way, it will likely be ~11 months before you receive it.

So, I suspect your potential employer would rather you had your approved OWP in hand, before offering you a job, but...who knows.

Good luck!
Thank you! Do you think they take exactly 11 months or the process could be sped up? My fiance makes enough money but I like being at least somewhat independent :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The current processing time seems to be about 11 months for AIP, and you can probably add a least a couple of weeks on top of that for OWP.

The times are ALWAYS changing, but I wouldn't expect a substantially shorter wait.

Be very careful while you are `sitting around' waiting. I've heard that even doing volunteer work can be devastating to your entire PR application!!
Maybe you could look into telecommuting outside of Canada for some sort of income. This is what I do, as I have not yet received my OWP.