+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First month in Canada on PR

SanRoque

Jan 19, 2012
Please don't argue here for anything not helpful in this forum. SO many things happening around the world vis-a-vis religion, race, politics and now in this small world we have in this forum we're heading to that point.

Mikenz already ended this discussion, let move forward guys. Let's look up to Sonea and other forum mates here.

Sometimes, personal views might be good to be keep at ourselves.

Peace everyone.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
28/11/11, recieved by VO 12/12/11
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
coolguy2010 said:
Hi Sonea,

Would like to know about Finance/Accounts jobs.....we are planning to land in August in Toronto.
I don't have much idea about jobs in Toronto but all i have seen so far is that many people are moving from Ontario and BC to Alberta because of less job opportunities there .. when we went to Canada immigration orientation session held in London they specifically mentioned that the first mistake people make is that they all want to get settled in Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver and they forget that Canada has other cities too which offer better salaries and job opportunities .. and because mostly people go in these cities the immigrants population is growing at a fast pace which is creating further problems for them to get settled and find jobs eventually they have to take on odd jobs and loose their savings to survive.

My husband was working in a bank in England but still he chose Edmonton and Mashallah he got a job in a couple of months in a bank and now he has already completed his mutual funds, lending and other required licenses.. i believe if we would have chosen any other city it wouldn't be that simple there for us due to completion and less job vacancies

Initially you need to enter the market and after that you are free to go anywhere in Canada because canadian experience is very much valueable than forign experience so first focus on getting somewhere where there are more opportunities and less competition and once you get a job get all required licenses or qualification (for which you company pays)then you can apply for inter company transfer and when ever there's a position they will transfer you over there as the companey don't wanna loose an employee for whom they have spent thousands on training courses

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
thanks a lot sonea

sonea said:
I don't have much idea about jobs in Toronto but all i have seen so far is that many people are moving from Ontario and BC to Alberta because of less job opportunities there .. when we went to Canada immigration orientation session held in London they specifically mentioned that the first mistake people make is that they all want to get settled in Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver and they forget that Canada has other cities too which offer better salaries and job opportunities .. and because mostly people go in these cities the immigrants population is growing at a fast pace which is creating further problems for them to get settled and find jobs eventually they have to take on odd jobs and loose their savings to survive.

My husband was working in a bank in England but still he chose Edmonton and Mashallah he got a job in a couple of months in a bank and now he has already completed his mutual funds, lending and other required licenses.. i believe if we would have chosen any other city it wouldn't be that simple there for us due to completion and less job vacancies

Initially you need to enter the market and after that you are free to go anywhere in Canada because canadian experience is very much valueable than forign experience so first focus on getting somewhere where there are more opportunities and less competition and once you get a job get all required licenses or qualification (for which you company pays)then you can apply for inter company transfer and when ever there's a position they will transfer you over there as the companey don't wanna loose an employee for whom they have spent thousands on training courses

paramjit

Star Member
Oct 3, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi,India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2013
LANDED..........
In July-2013
@ sonea

I am having experience in telecommunication field and my wife is an nurse. can u pl. guide on the jobs related and licensing .
What r our prospects in telecom field in edmonton.
pl. guide

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
paramjit said:
@ sonea

I am having experience in telecommunication field and my wife is an nurse. can u pl. guide on the jobs related and licensing .
What r our prospects in telecom field in edmonton.
pl. guide
for telecommunication you will have to secure a job first in your field and your companey will provide you all the training and license (if any) for your wife as far as i know she has to first get related qualification then she can get a job in her field but she has a good chance because nurses have high salaries and better job opportunities here

nvln

Mar 14, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Hopefully will be waived....!!
sonea said:
i must share my experience here. We landed in Edmonton, AB and had no trouble settling down here in a few days. gov of Alberta has many programs for new immigrants and people who need gov help at any later stage they give you affordable housing here specially for families with small children, you get education grants to improve your qualification according to Canadian levels not only you get free up gradation but you also get some money to support your family while you study, if you are unemployed. i don't recommend people to abuse these facilities and apply ONLY if you really deserve. However, we got settled so quickly with a full time job in a bank that we didn't need any of these ..

survival jobs are available here but you should know where to begin.... if you come to Edmonton you will see job vacancies everywhere these days specially in stores such as old navy, gap, Walmart etc.. in Edmonton there is a company called Manpower which hires on behalf of shaw you can approach them. Shaw gives you good pay as well as great bonuses.. there is another telecommunication company Telus. these companies usually have job vacancies all year round, I am not talking about any technical jobs in these companies i am mentioning about "customer service representatives" kind of jobs they usually pay $19 per hour here which is a good start and with quarterly bonuses based on your sales (which is not at all impossible even an inexperienced person can get at least $200 bonus) they give you full training so previous experience is not an issue if you have language skills and your are people friendly kind of person.

for housing and other things you can use www.kijiji.com this is a free classified website and you can post or see free ads from other people or you can search for accommodation but again be ware of fraudsters you should cross check before making a final decision on getting an apartment/house/condo or any other item..

another thing that people have in mind about Edmonton is that the weather is too cold .. well i moved from UK and i found it better because here we see proper summer unlike rainy England all year round ... but for winter it get quite cold but its bearable not really hard to get settled .. this year Toronto had more snow storms than Edmonton so i think its not too bad after all.. plus you get free heating here (Gas bills are included in rent) so you get 24/7 heating and you don't feel cold inside the house and also you don't have to worry about the gas bill..

mobile service is same throughout canada its quite expensive in canada.. but you should keep an eye on wind mobile deals they are usually cheaper than others..

i hope this will help you decide where you want to start your life in canda
Hi Sonea,

Please advise of how to get jobs in Banks in Canada.

Thank you in advance.

Regards.
NVLN.

satwant08

Jun 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 1, 2010
Doc's Request.
June 12, 2010
AOR Received.
September 9, 2010
IELTS Request
IELTS Done
Med's Request
Jan 25, 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 5, 2013, RPRF encashed March 6, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 25, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 14, 2013
LANDED..........
July 13, 2013 at Pearson Airport
sonea said:

Hi sonea,

I am from India and planning to land in Mississauga in July, I have even booked my air tickets for mid July. On reading your post, I feel that may be I have made a mistake to go to Ontario. Actually I chose Mississauga because I have initial support there from a friend of mine who will let me and my family stay at his place for the initial few days and will also find me a suitable house in the same locality.

My question to you is when I do my landing at Pearson Airport all the paper work will be done at the airport itself like PR card, SIN, health insurance, etc. If later I plan to go to Edmonton or Calgary, do I again have to apply for these documents there. Especially, the Health insurance, since Ontario has 3 months waiting for health insurance. If I move to Edmonton after say 2 weeks, will I get health insurance from day 1. Please advise. Thanks

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
nvln said:
Hi Sonea,

Please advise of how to get jobs in Banks in Canada.

Thank you in advance.

Regards.
NVLN.
you will have to visit individual bank website to apply. there are many banks like TD, BMO, RBC etc TD usually has more hiring than any other bank they have sub categories of their business like TD insurance, if insurance is your field, you should apply directly there.. basically you have to search online for jobs avoid agencies when it comes to applying job in banks. Search for your self everything is posted online by the banks they usually don't use any recruiting agencies to help them hire.. to enter in a bank is difficult but once you get there you can easily excel so grab what ever you get initially. hiring personnel are very professional if during the telephone interview they feel that you are more qualified for a certain job and you have the expertise to handle a more challenging role they will forward your details to the related department for job.

start from making an appropriate CV there are 2 types of CVs functional CV and i forgot the other name... :) basically the difference is that if you have switched many jobs and have a lengthy CV you should go for functional CV it has a single heading of "Professional experience" ... make sub headings like "people management" "retail" "sales" "new business development" and "customer service" etc.. and you need to put all your important valuable experience under that for all jobs..

then you make a heading of "work history" where you tell about all your job positions, company name and duration.. (starting from most recent job)

after this comes the heading of "education" where you put your university degrees details including completion year t.. and then you put a heading of "Training and qualifications" where you put all your training and other qualifications/courses

in the end mention "references" just put available on request this type of CV make the employer better understand your key skills and your international experience are represented in a fine manner which Canadians can easily understand according to their requirements for a specific job

the other kind of CV is the one which we normally use (and recommended if your experience is based on a few companies and less years of work history) .. it has the information in descending order starting from you most recent job, company name, duration and job duties... everything else goes in same fashion as above(functional cv) but you need to explain each job independently

also make a cover letter it takes some time but makes a difference

i would suggest to attend the orientation session (CIIP) which CIC provides everyone before the applicants land in Canada its really informative and helpful you will get an invitation for that with your PR or may be with passport request

SanRoque

Jan 19, 2012
Great sonea, it's really really hands on information your are sharing with. I used to work back home in the banking industry but here in NZ got a lenghty experience in payroll with the Ministry of Education. Hope I can get in either in a bank or in any public/government instituion.

My son is 14 years old and he's year 10 here in NZ, what grade is the equivalent there in Canada? I have read in the net that the top senior high school is in Edmonton - OSRA HS that offers IB but with limited slot of enrolment.

I'm after as well for the best education my son can get once we settle in Edmonton. Any other schools you heard of that hs a good standing in Admonton.

Thank you.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
satwant08 said:
Hi sonea,

I am from India and planning to land in Mississauga in July, I have even booked my air tickets for mid July. On reading your post, I feel that may be I have made a mistake to go to Ontario. Actually I chose Mississauga because I have initial support there from a friend of mine who will let me and my family stay at his place for the initial few days and will also find me a suitable house in the same locality.

My question to you is when I do my landing at Pearson Airport all the paper work will be done at the airport itself like PR card, SIN, health insurance, etc. If later I plan to go to Edmonton or Calgary, do I again have to apply for these documents there. Especially, the Health insurance, since Ontario has 3 months waiting for health insurance. If I move to Edmonton after say 2 weeks, will I get health insurance from day 1. Please advise. Thanks
sorry i missed your post before .. actually you can move later on here you don't need to apply for PR/SIN cards again but when you apply for them in the first place you have to provide them with a permanent address because PR cards can take upto a couple of months to reach you but it does not stop you from doing your other paper work you have to use your landing paper for applying other things such as medical cards and so on .. the landing paper is attached to your passport by the immigration officer at your landing airport you have to keep this safe until you get citizenship ..

i've heard that medical cards can take around 3 months in Ontario but in our case (in Edmonton) we got them within 2 weeks after applying .. once you get them you r good to use them right away since all medical checkups and tests are free of cost here you just need to show your medical cards .. you only need to pay for medicines check out this site to get a general idea of how and when to apply http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-health.asp

i don't really know about transferring the medical cards i think you can apply for them from any state as soon as you start living there but please check this thing with your friend since he is there and can make a couple of calls to ask about this issue

I've heard that once you apply for child tax credit from one state and then you move to another state .. it causes the payments to get delayed and takes more time to process

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
SanRoque said:
Great sonea, it's really really hands on information your are sharing with. I used to work back home in the banking industry but here in NZ got a lenghty experience in payroll with the Ministry of Education. Hope I can get in either in a bank or in any public/government instituion.

My son is 14 years old and he's year 10 here in NZ, what grade is the equivalent there in Canada? I have read in the net that the top senior high school is in Edmonton - OSRA HS that offers IB but with limited slot of enrolment.

I'm after as well for the best education my son can get once we settle in Edmonton. Any other schools you heard of that hs a good standing in Admonton.

Thank you.
hi,
my elder daughter is 7 years old and she is in grade 2 .. this sept she will start grade 3 and will be 8 years in Nov .. by my calculation your 14 years old son should be admitted in grade 9.. or if he turns 15 this year he will start grade 10 from September.

schools for little children doesn't make any major difference except discipline wise this is why people prefer catholic schools more here but to get admission there is not easy also they have separate transportation system their buses don't cover all areas so parents have to arrange pick and drop too if transportation is not available in their residential area.

i don't have much information about highs schools in Edmonton as my friends and my children are under 10 years old

i think you can collect information by searching online and read the reviews to have a better idea on that

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonea said:
South side is mostly populated with south Asian community.

IT has good scope here as Edmonton is growing at a fast pace so all technical fields have scope here

http://manpowerab.com/shaw_edmonton.html

You can check this link out if this type of job is right for you to get started..
Thanks A lot Sonea, you are helping a lot of people
+1 for you

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Thanks A lot Sonea, you are helping a lot of people
+1 for you

satwant08

Jun 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 1, 2010
Doc's Request.
June 12, 2010
AOR Received.
September 9, 2010
IELTS Request
IELTS Done
Med's Request
Jan 25, 2013
Med's Done....
Feb 5, 2013, RPRF encashed March 6, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Jan 25, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 14, 2013
LANDED..........
July 13, 2013 at Pearson Airport
sonea said:
sorry i missed your post before .. actually you can move later on here you don't need to apply for PR/SIN cards again but when you apply for them in the first place you have to provide them with a permanent address because PR cards can take upto a couple of months to reach you but it does not stop you from doing your other paper work you have to use your landing paper for applying other things such as medical cards and so on .. the landing paper is attached to your passport by the immigration officer at your landing airport you have to keep this safe until you get citizenship ..

i've heard that medical cards can take around 3 months in Ontario but in our case (in Edmonton) we got them within 2 weeks after applying .. once you get them you r good to use them right away since all medical checkups and tests are free of cost here you just need to show your medical cards .. you only need to pay for medicines check out this site to get a general idea of how and when to apply http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-health.asp

i don't really know about transferring the medical cards i think you can apply for them from any state as soon as you start living there but please check this thing with your friend since he is there and can make a couple of calls to ask about this issue

I've heard that once you apply for child tax credit from one state and then you move to another state .. it causes the payments to get delayed and takes more time to process
Thanks sonea !!!