+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First month in Canada on PR

SanRoque

Jan 19, 2012
Great information and thanks for sharing your personal experiences. I have been there last month and just out of Canada at the moment and have been to Toronto, Kingston, Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec then Vancouver and never been to Edmonton or in Alberta region but have heard good feedback in terms of job opportunities and settlement and now thinking about it to settle in any key cities of Alberta.

Hope people in this forum will share some success and even struggles that can be of big help for us who will be settling in the future.

Cheers.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
28/11/11, recieved by VO 12/12/11
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
natasha963 said:
Thanks Deepbrits and Sonea for the lovely posts. I n my husband, we are planning to move to canada to alberta in a few months. This is also for the fact that i will not b able to afford a delivery in any other state as i will b 7 months pregnant when we arrive there. Please comment is Alberta a good Option to settle? My hubbys into air conditioning n i m into customer service.
It's a really good option in my opinion if u decide to move in Edmonton you can always send me a PM here and I will be glad to guide you if I could .. As I said there are many job opportunities here or if your husband wants to get Canadian qualification he will be able to get grant for that so that he can get a kick start in his career because certain technical jobs require Canadian license or training to get into the field although your husband's occupation must have great value here

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
i heard a lot about University of Alberta as well..wat if some one already got admission in any of the prog offered by University of Alberta before landing as immigrant??

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
klmy said:
i heard a lot about University of Alberta as well..wat if some one already got admission in any of the prog offered by University of Alberta before landing as immigrant??
In what sense are you asking about this? i think if you get admission as non immigrant or foreign student you will have to spend more on fee and all.. its better to get student loan on your PR basis and then start your education this will be economical for you... second option is that if you have already completed your education in any other country and you want to have Canadian education to boost your chances of getting job then best way is that first come here and visit Universities personally and ask if only up gradation would be good enough for you to get into the desired level of your field .. up gradation is free of cost and as i explained before Government of Alberta also provide you some funds/bus passes/medical insurance etc to help in your monthly expenses based on your family composition while you study.

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
sonea said:
In what sense are you asking about this? i think if you get admission as non immigrant or foreign student you will have to spend more on fee and all.. its better to get student loan on your PR basis and then start your education this will be economical for you... second option is that if you have already completed your education in any other country and you want to have Canadian education to boost your chances of getting job then best way is that first come here and visit Universities personally and ask if only up gradation would be good enough for you to get into the desired level of your field .. up gradation is free of cost and as i explained before Government of Alberta also provide you some funds/bus passes/medical insurance etc to help in your monthly expenses based on your family composition while you study.
dont take me wrong or think that m acting smart..actually m waiting for my Passport request if everything goes right..at the same time i contacted UOA for upgradation of my degree as well..hopefully i can get admission in my desired program...wat u suggest??should i wait for my PR and then apply or should go at the same time for both things??

SanRoque

Jan 19, 2012
Thanks Sonea. I guess you're the headmaster of this thread. :) ;) :) Keep it up.

Now I am 80% sure of landing in Edmonton with what I read in the website.

Just a quick question, how is the day to day life there in Edmonton like the shopping and restaurant? What I mean is the life after work?

Cheers.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
SanRoque said:
Thanks Sonea. I guess you're the headmaster of this thread. :) ;) :) Keep it up.

Now I am 80% sure of landing in Edmonton with what I read in the website.

Just a quick question, how is the day to day life there in Edmonton like the shopping and restaurant? What I mean is the life after work?

Cheers.
thanks for the complement :) actually my answers are based on personal observations and experiences .. after work life depend on what kind of entertainment you want actually

there is a famous mall "West Edmonton mall" its one of the biggest malls in Canada or i guess north america.. there are all kinds of restaurants.. location wise Calgary is 3 hours and jasper national park(one of the most beautiful places i've ever visited) is 4 hours away Vancouver is 13 hours..

there are recreation centers in every area which have swimming pools. gyms, fitness classes, squash etc free for the first year for new immigrants :)

i don't know about clubs and pubs as i don't go there but over all life is as active as in any other city of canada

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
klmy said:
dont take me wrong or think that m acting smart..actually m waiting for my Passport request if everything goes right..at the same time i contacted UOA for upgradation of my degree as well..hopefully i can get admission in my desired program...wat u suggest??should i wait for my PR and then apply or should go at the same time for both things??
in my opinion wait for your PR if possible... it will be much beneficial for you .. if you want to pay your fees and all then you can go ahead with this otherwise as i stated before on PR basis you get much more benefits as well as free up gradation.. so why waste money?

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
sonea said:
in my opinion wait for your PR if possible... it will be much beneficial for you .. if you want to pay your fees and all then you can go ahead with this otherwise as i stated before on PR basis you get much more benefits as well as free up gradation.. so why waste money?
thanx for ur valuable suggestions..may i know wats the better way to contact you??through email if possible? m planning for edmonton actually

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
you can inbox me here i am a homemaker but will try to help u as much as i can :) .. good luck

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
sonea said:
you can inbox me here i am a homemaker but will try to help u as much as i can :) .. good luck
i hope u check ur inbox of this forum regularly..thanx for ur help and advice...

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonea said:
Hi there,

At first, I would like to appreciate your work through out this thread for helping newcomers to Canada.

May I ask what about car insurance cost in Edmonton. I've heard about Ontario, where car insurance very expansive for newcomers.

Thanks.

natasha963

May 8, 2011
Markham Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-04-2010
File Transfer...
23-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
25th Apr 2014
LANDED..........
25th May 2014
sonea said:
It's a really good option in my opinion if u decide to move in Edmonton you can always send me a PM here and I will be glad to guide you if I could .. As I said there are many job opportunities here or if your husband wants to get Canadian qualification he will be able to get grant for that so that he can get a kick start in his career because certain technical jobs require Canadian license or training to get into the field although your husband's occupation must have great value here
Thanks for the valuable information Sonea. Now that I know life n job opportunities are good there, there are just 2 things I m worried about. (1) Will I be covered from day 1 under medical insurance for delivering my baby? How much can the medical expenses be. (2) My husband is hard working but not familiar with english language. Will he be able to earn well without attaining any further degree/ course in Alberta? Please comment as per your knowledge. I will highly appreciate your thoughts on this.

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Hi Natasha,

Hope your case is reopened now....pls share

natasha963 said:
Thanks for the valuable information Sonea. Now that I know life n job opportunities are good there, there are just 2 things I m worried about. (1) Will I be covered from day 1 under medical insurance for delivering my baby? How much can the medical expenses be. (2) My husband is hard working but not familiar with english language. Will he be able to earn well without attaining any further degree/ course in Alberta? Please comment as per your knowledge. I will highly appreciate your thoughts on this.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
natasha963 said:
You get medicals coverage as soon as you get your medicals cards you have to apply for them on day one right after u land there is no hospital charge I myself am expecting and didn't give a single dime as yet for any test or US you just have to choose a family doctor and they redirect you to the gynocologist sometimes it takes around a month to get your first appointment with the gyne but depending on ur condition they put u on priority as u said u'll be 7 months I think you'll get everything done quickly I've chosen grey nuns hospital this is one of the best hospital in Edmonton they give u semi private room after delivery which is free but u if u want private room it will only cost u $40/ day In normal delivery cases they only keep u in hospital for a day otherwise they will moniter your condition. You have to purchase medicines on ur own expense like prenatal vitamins and so on but if u have a proper job they will provide u with medicals insurance or if u are enrolled in university grant program or if ur on low income u get insurance from Gov of Alberta.

Secondly for ur husband language is the key to success along with skill I think if he has time right now he should join language courses in India to at least get some language skills before coming here otherwise it will be hard for u guys as u can't work in this condition and ur husband will have difficulty finding a job in such circumstances

Can u tell me about your family composition like kids and all so that I can guid you accordingly ??