+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FIRST ATTEMPT: Permit rejected - need advice (UAE)

ks32

Aug 3, 2014
Hey guys,

I've been lurking this website for about 30 minutes and I've learned quite a bit that I should have utilized in my original application.

To begin with, my first application for study permit (along with a temp. resident visa for my dad to accompany me there) was rejected.
The reason provided by the visa officer for my study permit was "You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay. Factor: our personal assets and financial status".

The bank statement I provided did not contain the WHOLE year's cost and I think that is the primary reason for my dismissal. Naturally, my dad's application was denied (as the purpose for his visit was unnecessary if my application is rejected!). Additionally, I made a clerical error in adding up the total cost. I noted that the total cost for University was $32k but mentioned that $30k was available only.

I have proceeded to include the whole year's amount for my next application.
Also, since I reside in Dubai, is it necessary for me to submit my biometrics again? It really is a hassle for my dad since he has to take another day off etc and the commute! It would seem gratuitous going all the way to Abu Dhabi to submit information that is already available to the officers.

Having read all the other applicants, I think it is best I include a letter along with my application, mentioning my error and emphasizing home ties.

It is important to note that although we are not "permanent residents" of UAE (by the Canadian standard/international standard) my parents have resided in UAE of nearly 30 years and my dad has worked for Emirates for nearly 25 years. I think that shows a significant amount of "home ties" to UAE (returning to a country FROM Canada, in this scenario). Along with documents showing ties to our country of citizenship, demonstrating home ties shall be a non-issue, no?

I'm just brainstorming here since I'm collecting additional documents and submitting them all over again. I appreciate any insights or tidbits you guys can offer to expedite the process of applying and such. I need this visa well before August 25.

thanks guys and have a good one!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Is $32K the amount of your first year tuition only? Or the amount of your first year tuition + $10K for living expenses?

sam89

Star Member
Apr 3, 2012
other seniors may have different views,

in your scenario home tie will be Key factor, as you mentioned living in UAE for last 30 years , but its not your home country and you are not permanent resident .
Father is accompany you might get suspicious signals to visa officer, in my opinion he should wait atleast you to get visa.

mizan776

Jan 27, 2014
Muscat, Oman
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2014
Med's Request
Exempted
Med's Done....
Exempted
Interview........
Exempted
Passport Req..
21-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
19-08-2014
The bank statement I provided did not contain the WHOLE year's cost and I think that is the primary reason for my dismissal. THIS IS YOUR MAIN REASON

Naturally, my dad's application was denied (as the purpose for his visit was unnecessary if my application is rejected!). Additionally, I made a clerical error in adding up the total cost. I noted that the total cost for University was $32k but mentioned that $30k was available only.
THIS CANNOT BE A REASON. I ALSO DID THE SAME AS YOU DID AND I GOT THE VISA

Also, since I reside in Dubai, is it necessary for me to submit my biometrics again? NO IDEA FOR 2ND TIME BIOMETRICS

It is important to note that although we are not "permanent residents" of UAE (by the Canadian standard/international standard) my parents have resided in UAE of nearly 30 years and my dad has worked for Emirates for nearly 25 years. I think that shows a significant amount of "home ties" to UAE (returning to a country FROM Canada, in this scenario). Along with documents showing ties to our country of citizenship, demonstrating home ties shall be a non-issue, no?

For home ties you can include fixed deposit or any kind of bonds or any assets that your father posses back in your home country. Your father can write a letter of sponsorship where he can mention his service in Emirates for a long time. Also in that letter he can mention your responsibility to the family and your importance of returning back. There are many ideas you can come up with. Try to make the best use. Good luck

ola1974

May 21, 2014
NIGERIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bio-metric is compulsory for every new application unlike medical that last a year.

rcpp

Star Member
Jan 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Passport Req..
27-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-2014
Hey,

My first application was also rejected due to the same reason: financial status and assets. But I got the visa on my second attempt. What we did was, we submitted additional financial documents to prove my parents' capability to support me. We also passed documents coming from my uncle who is in Canada with his family.

Here are the doc's:
1) Letter of Support/Sponsorship and Notarized Affidavit of Support from both Parents (Like what mizan776 said)
2) Loan Certificate (Loan money was added to the savings in the bank)
3) Notarized Letter of Support and Affidavit of Support from Uncle
4) Uncle's Bank Statement for 6 months
5) First semester fees - receipt with an explanation letter about registration <- This is very helpful.

For home ties, I used the immigrations stamps on my passport, which I got from going in and out UAE to and fro Philippines, since we usually pay a visit nearly every year. Another document for home ties was a copy of my parents' Properly-land title, named after the two of them.

You are asked to submit a "Study Plan", right? Make sure to mention in there points you want to prove the VO about your previous rejection. What I did was, I answered everything point by point and -- added 2-3 paragraphs (fitting into one page) about my reasons for wanting to study in Canada and who will be my sponsors (residency status here in UAE, and other helpful info about my parents) and my plans.

Question:
- Does that $32k include your living expenses or no? It would be better to show more than the minimum required, if you haven't used any money to pay for your tuition yet.

ks32

Aug 3, 2014
scylla said:
Is $32K the amount of your first year tuition only? Or the amount of your first year tuition + $10K for living expenses?
$32,000 is inclusive of: first year tuition (approx. $20k) + living costs (approx $8k) + general expenses (approx $4k)

sam89 said:
other seniors may have different views,

in your scenario home tie will be Key factor, as you mentioned living in UAE for last 30 years , but its not your home country and you are not permanent resident .
Father is accompany you might get suspicious signals to visa officer, in my opinion he should wait atleast you to get visa.
I understand that, completely. My point of view is that my parents have resided in this country for 28 years and my dad has worked for (I did not want to mention the company but I guess I will..) Emirates for 25+ years. He holds a respectable position in the company and has great loyalty for them (his tenure is testament to this).

Does that hold any weight in providing sufficient 'home ties'? I ask this because since we were born and bred in UAE, I consider it my home country. My parents do have sufficient property back in our home country for which I shall include the property documents therein.

mizan776 said:
Naturally, my dad's application was denied (as the purpose for his visit was unnecessary if my application is rejected!). Additionally, I made a clerical error in adding up the total cost. I noted that the total cost for University was $32k but mentioned that $30k was available only.
THIS CANNOT BE A REASON. I ALSO DID THE SAME AS YOU DID AND I GOT THE VISA
Really? I presumed it was because in my dad's rejection letter it stated that his application was refused due to "Purpose of visit not being clear" or something along the lines. Since his purpose of visit in the visa documents stated 'accompanying son to university,' I believed they would reject him if my application did not go through.

mizan776 said:
For home ties you can include fixed deposit or any kind of bonds or any assets that your father posses back in your home country. Your father can write a letter of sponsorship where he can mention his service in Emirates for a long time. Also in that letter he can mention your responsibility to the family and your importance of returning back. There are many ideas you can come up with. Try to make the best use. Good luck
Interesting post. Thank you, I will discuss the case of owning long term bonds and such with my parents.

CONTINUING POST ON NEXT REPLY!

mizan776

Jan 27, 2014
Muscat, Oman
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2014
Med's Request
Exempted
Med's Done....
Exempted
Interview........
Exempted
Passport Req..
21-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
19-08-2014
Really? I presumed it was because in my dad's rejection letter it stated that his application was refused due to "Purpose of visit not being clear" or something along the lines. Since his purpose of visit in the visa documents stated 'accompanying son to university,' I believed they would reject him if my application did not go through.
Sorry. Made a mistake in the editing. My answer applies to only: Additionally, I made a clerical error in adding up the total cost. I noted that the total cost for University was $32k but mentioned that $30k was available only

Naturally, my dad's application was denied (as the purpose for his visit was unnecessary if my application is rejected!).
This is True

ks32

Aug 3, 2014
ola1974 said:
Bio-metric is compulsory for every new application unlike medical that last a year.
Ah alright. I guess I'll have to put together the arrangements for the long commute to Abu Dhabi again :(

rcpp said:
Hey,

My first application was also rejected due to the same reason: financial status and assets. But I got the visa on my second attempt. What we did was, we submitted additional financial documents to prove my parents' capability to support me. We also passed documents coming from my uncle who is in Canada with his family.

Here are the doc's:
1) Letter of Support/Sponsorship and Notarized Affidavit of Support from both Parents (Like what mizan776 said)
2) Loan Certificate (Loan money was added to the savings in the bank)
3) Notarized Letter of Support and Affidavit of Support from Uncle
4) Uncle's Bank Statement for 6 months
5) First semester fees - receipt with an explanation letter about registration <- This is very helpful.
By letter of support/sponsorship, do you mean a simple letter by my parents accepting responsibility of all expenses over the course of the study period and signed by them? Or an official letterhead with an official notary?

In regards to receipt of semester fees - I have only paid the security deposit. The university has not requested funds yet but the final date of payment is September 4th. I do have the receipt for the security deposit that was paid (the deposit is included in the tuition fee, so it would count, no?). What should I include in the explanation letter?

I do have distant relatives residing in Canada but I don't think including them would be necessary. I need to submit a new application ASAP and getting in contact with them will take at least 2 days... :eek:

rcpp said:
For home ties, I used the immigrations stamps on my passport, which I got from going in and out UAE to and fro Philippines, since we usually pay a visit nearly every year. Another document for home ties was a copy of my parents' Properly-land title, named after the two of them.

You are asked to submit a "Study Plan", right? Make sure to mention in there points you want to prove the VO about your previous rejection. What I did was, I answered everything point by point and -- added 2-3 paragraphs (fitting into one page) about my reasons for wanting to study in Canada and who will be my sponsors (residency status here in UAE, and other helpful info about my parents) and my plans.

Question:
- Does that $32k include your living expenses or no? It would be better to show more than the minimum required, if you haven't used any money to pay for your tuition yet.
I'll get back to you on the study plan

in regards to your question: It includes all expenses: living, tuition, and general expenses. I shall show an amount higher than the required one. I made a mistake showing a lower amount thinking they would consider expenses on a monthly basis

thanks everyone for the replies

ks32

Aug 3, 2014
mizan776 said:
Sorry. Made a mistake in the editing. My answer applies to only: Additionally, I made a clerical error in adding up the total cost. I noted that the total cost for University was $32k but mentioned that $30k was available only

Naturally, my dad's application was denied (as the purpose for his visit was unnecessary if my application is rejected!).
This is True
Oh. Makes sense!

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
You didnt specify what your Nationality was.

You're a resident in UAE but which country are you a citizen of?

Also, ignore advice about buying long term bonds or deposits. Bonds dont do anything to improve your home ties. You could just as easily break the bond as soon as you get the visa, everyone knows this.

ks32

Aug 3, 2014
Josh21 said:
You didnt specify what your Nationality was.

You're a resident in UAE but which country are you a citizen of?

Also, ignore advice about buying long term bonds or deposits. Bonds dont do anything to improve your home ties. You could just as easily break the bond as soon as you get the visa, everyone knows this.
check your inbox

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
I only asked since applying from India, if you are Indian, is usually much quicker and more easy going then other countries.

In any case, I dont think you were refused for financial reasons solely. Being 2k$ short out of 30k$+ is nothing. You were probably refused primarily for your immigration status and ties to the country. Yes, I know you have been there for 25+ years but you're still a foreign resident to them since you dont have any permanent status.

There are alot of things that can help you depending on which applies to you. If you are very good academically for example, they usually dont care about your immigration status since they assume your primary intention is just to study anyway. I once knew a person who had 3/4 the required funds and no ties whatsoever as a resident in a foreign country but still got it in 5 days since he was a national scholar.

Other factors could be Property in your home country or a very good reason for wanting to study in Canada. Some people have a very good reason since they find a great PhD advisor in some university, but you get the jist, there are alot of ways to show your intention is just to study.

You need to find something along these lines and explain it in a letter.

ks32

Aug 3, 2014
Josh21 said:
I only asked since applying from India, if you are Indian, is usually much quicker and more easy going then other countries.

In any case, I dont think you were refused for financial reasons solely. Being 2k$ short out of 30k$+ is nothing. You were probably refused primarily for your immigration status and ties to the country. Yes, I know you have been there for 25+ years but you're still a foreign resident to them since you dont have any permanent status.

There are alot of things that can help you depending on which applies to you. If you are very good academically for example, they usually dont care about your immigration status since they assume your primary intention is just to study anyway. I once knew a person who had 3/4 the required funds and no ties whatsoever as a resident in a foreign country but still got it in 5 days since he was a national scholar.

Other factors could be Property in your home country or a very good reason for wanting to study in Canada. Some people have a very good reason since they find a great PhD advisor in some university, but you get the jist, there are alot of ways to show your intention is just to study.

You need to find something along these lines and explain it in a letter.

thanks. I am fine academically. I have done O'Levels and A'Levels and achieved A-A* in my required subjects.

Another question, in the "proof of financial statements" I have provided bank statements from my uncle as well. Do I have to have a signed affidavit from him showing that he consents to providing funding for the university? I am only showing his statement as my dad's bank balance is not enough for the minimum amount at the moment