+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FINGER PRINTING

chella99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2007
Dear All,

My wife had applied for citizenship after fulfilling all conditions. After about 10 months, she recd a letter in Sep 2022 asking her to do finger printing. She did it at a private approved agency who said that it will send the results to RMCP (Royal Mounted Canada Police) directly, who in turn, will forward the same to IRCC, after its own verification, investigation, etc.

We are quite worried as I understand from various net search that this may be required mainly for people with any crime or other suspicious acts. We do not have any such trails at all and live like a common normal humans with the day to day chores of life.

My ques are:
1. In what situations do they ask for fingerprinting ?
2. Does it mean that they have some deep suspicion or want to investigate something further ?
3. How much time may the RMCP take to complete its formalities and send its clearance to RMCP ?
4. If the RCP has doubts or does not clear the fingerprints, what do they ask us to do ? What are the challenges that we may face ?
5. Does this delay the processing enormously ?

I would be very thankful for valuable feedback.

asamad88

Star Member
Sep 14, 2022
1. No.
Dear All,

My wife had applied for citizenship after fulfilling all conditions. After about 10 months, she recd a letter in Sep 2022 asking her to do finger printing. She did it at a private approved agency who said that it will send the results to RMCP (Royal Mounted Canada Police) directly, who in turn, will forward the same to IRCC, after its own verification, investigation, etc.

We are quite worried as I understand from various net search that this may be required mainly for people with any crime or other suspicious acts. We do not have any such trails at all and live like a common normal humans with the day to day chores of life.

My ques are:
2. Does it mean that they have some deep suspicion or want to investigate something further ?
3. How much time may the RMCP take to complete its formalities and send its clearance to RMCP ?
4. If the RCP has doubts or does not clear the fingerprints, what do they ask us to do ? What are the challenges that we may face ?

1. I think they are randomly selecting for fingerprinting. I've noticed a lot of them got request for fingerprints this year.
2. Not really. I got fingerprint notice and as soon as IRCC received my results, the background check was completed.
3. 2-3 weeks.
4. If the fingerprints are not cleared, your results will be delayed. No idea about consequences.
5. No it does not delay the process.

chella99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2007
1. No.

1. I think they are randomly selecting for fingerprinting. I've noticed a lot of them got request for fingerprints this year.
2. Not really. I got fingerprint notice and as soon as IRCC received my results, the background check was completed.
3. 2-3 weeks.
4. If the fingerprints are not cleared, your results will be delayed. No idea about consequences.
5. No it does not delay the process.
Thanks a lot Assamad88 for your valuable response.

mubasshirali

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Surrey, BC
As per my best knowledge if your name is common and matched with any person who had any criminal background they ask for the fingerprints to clear you out.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Dear All,

My ques are:

It took just over a month for our FP process to be completed and updated on the citizenship application tracker...
FP Applied on Mar 12, BG completed on Apr 24

Most FP process is completed within 4-6 weeks.

But then there have been few others whose FP process has gone longer than the avg 4-6 weeks. This usually is part of security screening (SS)... If someone is unlucky there application may fall under the non routine application category...
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5

I dont know how much time is required to complete the SS process.

ryalla

Star Member
Jan 5, 2019
Dear All,

My ques are:

no need to worry. dont overthink. its quite common. once finger prints provided they will validated in 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: iceman55

chella99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2007
It took just over a month for our FP process to be completed and updated on the citizenship application tracker...
FP Applied on Mar 12, BG completed on Apr 24

Most FP process is completed within 4-6 weeks.

But then there have been few others whose FP process has gone longer than the avg 4-6 weeks. This usually is part of security screening (SS)... If someone is unlucky there application may fall under the non routine application category...
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5

I dont know how much time is required to complete the SS process.
Thanks a lot Mr. Abbas

CoorsHeavy

Star Member
Jul 16, 2022
Dear All,

My ques are:

They just randomly pick people for FP, my name is not too common in this country.

rishisingh86

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Dear All,

My ques are:

Hi - I had to give my fingerprints thrice during the entire process. Based on my experiences:

1. It could be random, if you have a common surname/name you might be asked for fingerprints.
2. as above. I have a very common surname and last name, the reason I believe I had to give my fingerprints. It happened for my PR application also.
3. It took close to a month for the fingerprints results to be updated with IRCC
4. Not sure about additional consequences.
5. Usually fingerprint results are valid for a year. So if your overall process gets delayed and your fingerprint results expire, you may have to provide them again (as it happened to me). Applied for citizenship on Mar 2019, 1st FP request - Aug 2019, COVID HIT, 2nd FP request - Mar 2021, 3rd FP request - May 2022.