canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
JMOBhatti said:
I have talked to the CIC help line and have been advised that if I can manage to visit Canada once in the year and dont stay out of Canada for extended period of 3 years, I can manage to meet my residency requirement. With fingers crossed, I am figuring out to enhance my stay in Canada while availing the opportunity of PhD by having some internship or collaboration with a Canadian university. I yet have to communicate with my supervisor but I believe there might be some options. Need seniors opinion please.
As said previously, you cannot take the PhD offer and continue to sponsor your family, regardless of how much you visit Canada or any "collaboration" with a Canadian university. You would no longer be residing in Canada, a requirement for PRs when sponsoring, so your sponsorship app would be cancelled.

If (and that's a BIG if) you manage to meet the RO while completing the PhD and return to Canada, you would have to start the sponsorship process again. That means it will be at least 5 years before your family would become PRs.

If you don't meet the RO while completing the PhD but manage to get back into Canada after it's done without being reported, you would have to wait until you once again met the RO before being able to sponsor your family, so it would be even longer than the above scenario.

Worst case, you don't meet the RO and you get reported when re-entering Canada. Going to school outside of Canada is generally not seen as an H&C reason, so you would most likely lose your PR status.

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
canuck_in_uk said:
As said previously, you cannot take the PhD offer and continue to sponsor your family, regardless of how much you visit Canada or any "collaboration" with a Canadian university. You would no longer be residing in Canada, a requirement for PRs when sponsoring, so your sponsorship app would be cancelled.

If (and that's a BIG if) you manage to meet the RO while completing the PhD and return to Canada, you would have to start the sponsorship process again. That means it will be at least 5 years before your family would become PRs.

If you don't meet the RO while completing the PhD but manage to get back into Canada after it's done without being reported, you would have to wait until you once again met the RO before being able to sponsor your family, so it would be even longer than the above scenario.

Worst case, you don't meet the RO and you get reported when re-entering Canada. Going to school outside of Canada is generally not seen as an H&C reason, so you would most likely lose your PR status.
Well, if that's the case then I have to give up the offer because at this stage the future of kids is more important. So when its decided, should I proceed to cash the situation? Does it carries any worth if I write an explanation letter to CIC Mississauga & CHC Islamabad about this decision? Will not it be taken as definite prove of my sincere efforts for settling in Canada on permanent bases?

If "Yes" is the answer for my question about writing a letter to authorities, should I attach along only the copy of offer letter or student visa as well?

Thanks again

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Which form are you going to be submitting to CIC with the "letter"? I'm confused about what the letter is for?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
JMOBhatti said:
Well, if that's the case then I have to give up the offer because at this stage the future of kids is more important. So when its decided, should I proceed to cash the situation? Does it carries any worth if I write an explanation letter to CIC Mississauga & CHC Islamabad about this decision? Will not it be taken as definite prove of my sincere efforts for settling in Canada on permanent bases?
No, writing a letter to CIC won't change anything. You are going to have to choose between staying in Canada to continue to sponsor your family or leaving Canada to do the Phd.

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
zardoz said:
Which form are you going to be submitting to CIC with the "letter"? I'm confused about what the letter is for?
Sorry, may be I was not clear. I mean to say that should I write a letter to CIC that because I intend to settle in Canada on permanent bases thus I am going to give up an offer of PhD with full scholarship from so and so top notch university. Does that makes any difference in the evaluation?

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
canuck_in_uk said:
No, writing a letter to CIC won't change anything. You are going to have to choose between staying in Canada to continue to sponsor your family or leaving Canada to do the Phd.
Yes, thats why I tried to explain in my previous post. I have decided to give up PhD offer and write a letter about the same to CIC. Could this be cashed?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
JMOBhatti said:
Sorry, may be I was not clear. I mean to say that should I write a letter to CIC that because I intend to settle in Canada on permanent bases thus I am going to give up an offer of PhD with full scholarship from so and so top notch university. Does that makes any difference in the evaluation?
If you are referring to your sponsorship application for your family, it's not going to make any differenc. You are either eligible to sponsor, or you are not... CIC don't need to know your future plans if you are applying from Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
zardoz said:
If you are referring to your sponsorship application for your family, it's not going to make any differenc. You are either eligible to sponsor, or you are not... CIC don't need to know your future plans if you are applying from Canada.
Agreed. Such a letter will have no effect on the sponsorship app.