No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
Hi there,

Some time it becomes very difficult to chose something while leaving the other of the same worth. If I quote in Bill Clinton's Words. "if you have to chose a lady out of the 10 most beautiful women of the world, you always have feeling of regret for not choosing the other after choosing one". I am going through the same situation.

I had been granted PR in October 2013 as QSW (Chemist) with zero proficiency of French. I was lucky to find work soon after my landing in a call center with reasonable income to make my both ends meet; and still carrying on the same as I am having difficulty to find the job in my field. I even have not got the equivalence of my foreign qualification here in Quebec. Though I have learned some basic level of French but by no means feel comfortable to communicate in French at this hour; not even working level knowledge.

I have sponsored my family [my spouse and two kids] recently in April 2014 and waiting for approval of sponsorship and CSQ.

At the same time, I have been blessed with an opportunity of PhD studies with full scholarship [about 2000CA$ p.m.) from a top notch university of world back in Asia (ranked among top 50 universities of the world in Chemistry). There, I have to commence my studies soon. I have applied for PhD studies in Canada but I am asked for IELTS, GRE and etc. I could manage these test but it may take an other year or more for that.

Having said, may I have your expertise opinion that:

a-how may I grab both the opportunities?
b-I dont want to loose either but if I have to, which one should I loose? Which one over weigh the other?
c-What steps should I take to find a job in my own field (either staying in Quebec or some where else in Canada)?

I dont want to give my kids the future where I have survived without ease.

Thanks in advance for the sincere advise.

Best Regards

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
JMOBhatti said:
Hi there,

Some time it becomes very difficult to chose something while leaving the other of the same worth. If I quote in Bill Clinton's Words. "if you have to chose a lady out of the 10 most beautiful women of the world, you always have feeling of regret for not choosing the other after choosing one". I am going through the same situation.

I had been granted PR in October 2013 as QSW (Chemist) with zero proficiency of French. I was lucky to find work soon after my landing in a call center with reasonable income to make my both ends meet; and still carrying on the same as I am having difficulty to find the job in my field. I even have not got the equivalence of my foreign qualification done here in Quebec. Though I have learn some basic level of French but my no means feel comfortable to communicate in French at this hour; not even working level knowledge.

I have sponsored my family [my spouse and two kids] recently in April 2014 and waiting for approval of sponsorship and CSQ.

At the same time, I have been blessed with an opportunity of PhD studies with full scholarship [about 2000CA$ p.m.) from a top notch university of world back in Asia (ranked among top 50 universities of the world in Chemistry). There, I have to commence my studies soon. I have applied for PhD studies in Canada but I am asked for IELTS, GRE and etc. I could manage but it may take an other year or more for that.

Having said, may I have your expertise opinion that how may I grab both the opportunities?
I dont want to loose either but if I have to, which one should I loose?
What steps should I take to find a job in my own field (either staying in Quebec or some where else)?

I am from a developing country of Asia with lack of fundamental facilities even like electricity, clean drinking water, education and health care. Thus I dont want to give my kids the future where I have survived without ease.

Thanks in advance for the sincere advise.

Best Regards
Canada used to issue Returning Permits for people in your case,
but they don't do that anymore, one way is that
You can consult with an immigration lawyer about your intentions of
taking your PhD opportunity and he will know which is the necessary protocol,

It is not really something that can not be solved,
You have the intentions of returning to Canada after you complete your PhD,
and that is what matters,

Other options is that
You can leave the country and contact the embassy of Canada and inform them of your
situation, that proves your intentions...and keep proof ... that is very important...

After you complete your PhD, and
At your return to Canada, the immigration officer at the airport can not stop you from entering the country,
(Providing that you and your family have the necessary Permanent Resident Card)

but he/she can send you with a immigration judge who will decide if you had valid reasons to stay
outside Canada for extended period of time,

but you need to prove that your intentions were always to return to Canada,
meanwhile, you continue to be a permanent resident at your return, until a judge decides in your case,

Very important is that as soon as you finish your PhD you return to Canada,
If you take a job after your PhD is completed, then it will kill your case, as taking
a job in another country means that you don't have intentions to return to Canada,

Write to your MP, and explain your situation and ask for advise,
that is a document that you can present in the future as a proof of your intentions to return,

Write to the Minister of Immigrations,
make it registered letter, and even when the minister don't answer, you can keep it a proof
of your intentions to return to Canada at the completion of your PhD,

Those cases take a few years to be finalized, .... the most important thing is that you
will need to prove that your intentions are to return to Canada ... and you went outside
only for your PhD...

(it is very important for you to maintain links to Canada, maybe maintain an open bank account,
Maintain a Mail box in your name, (a friend can check your mail and pay the rent every year), and
if possible leave goods stored that you will need at your return, and keep proof of everything )
(you will need to withdraw your application for your family at this time, and apply for them in the future),

Good luck with your PhD

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
Thanks for your sincere reply. I cordially appreciate it and am obliged.

I fully understand the meaning and importance of having a PhD degree but my kids are at an age which is making the choice tough for me. My daughter is 10 while son is 8 years old. If I delay the process of sponsoring them right now, it will be too late. PhD programme may take 4 years to finish. The sponsorship process is already elongated for my country [32 months for CHC Islamabad]. I am afraid that its already late for their age but till then, they will have difficulty in integrating in the society and adopting to the education system of here. Its a pity but bitter reality that there is far more difference between culture, values and education standard of my native country and Canada.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
JMOBhatti said:

I fully understand the meaning and importance of having a PhD degree but my kids are at an age which is making the choice tough for me. My daughter is 10 while son is 8 years old. If I delay the process of sponsoring them right now, it will be too late. PhD programme may take 4 years to finish. The sponsorship process is already elongated for my country [32 months for CHC Islamabad]. I am afraid that its already late for their age but till then, they will have difficulty in integrating in the society and adopting to the education system of here. Its a pity but bitter reality that there is far more difference between culture, values and education standard of my native country and Canada.
In life you have to make choices,
and some are difficult to make... looks to me that your family is you number one priority, then bring them to Canada,
there is always tomorrow...
Myself I just got an scholarship to do my PhD, but here in Canada...
So, you need to live according to your priorities,
and sometimes postpone a commitment doesn't mean that you are giving up......

Canada is a good place, and having your kids here should be your number one priority.

Blessings

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Since you are a PR, you must be living in Canada in order to qualify as a sponsor. If you leave Canada to study abroad before your family's PR visas are issued, you should expect their applications to be canceled because you are no longer living in Canada. So you are going to have to make a choice between continuing to sponsor your family for PR status in Canada and taking the PhD abroad. You can't "grab both opportunities". You will have to pick one over the other.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
JMOBhatti said:

Canada is (slowly) making it very difficult to sponsor adult children, so it's my honest opinion that you continue their sponsorship, and let them come to settle here in Quebec. It may be difficult to sponsor them if they go close to 18 or over that as CIC thinks of them as adults (18+).
It's better they come now within 1-2 years.

After they come, then you may pursue whatever you need to do in order to further your study or career. Please ask your univ/institution for
some extra time before joining them, hopefully your family can be here soon.

After that, you may decide to study in Canada, or take up job abroad. When your family will be here in Canada, it will help you in many ways.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Regardless of whether you "prepare the ground", or not, for your residency obligation noncompliance, CIC is unlikely to give you an easy ride if you choose to leave Canada for 4 years to study abroad. You could, at the last moment, lose everything you have worked for.

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
scylla said:
Since you are a PR, you must be living in Canada in order to qualify as a sponsor. If you leave Canada to study abroad before your family's PR visas are issued, you should expect their applications to be canceled because you are no longer living in Canada. So you are going to have to make a choice between continuing to sponsor your family for PR status in Canada and taking the PhD abroad. You can't "grab both opportunities". You will have to pick one over the other.
Thanks again for the message.

Yes, I am thinking the same. Because after 15, CHC Islamabad ask for more documents from the male member of your family which ad to the difficulties. If I have to, I am thinking to give up PhD offer but I am still looking for some advise of garbing both option. I believe that people with broader vision and exposure do have suggestions which can help me to work out this situation in better manner.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
JMOBhatti said:
Thanks again for the message.

Yes, I am thinking the same. Because after 15, CHC Islamabad ask for more documents from the male member of your family which ad to the difficulties. If I have to, I am thinking to give up PhD offer but I am still looking for some advise of garbing both option. I believe that people with broader vision and exposure do have suggestions which can help me to work out this situation in better manner.
If you were Canadian instead of PR, then you would have had the same opportunity to grab both options. Unfortunately you don't have much of a choice. Either one or the other.

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
zardoz said:
Regardless of whether you "prepare the ground", or not, for your residency obligation noncompliance, CIC is unlikely to give you an easy ride if you choose to leave Canada for 4 years to study abroad. You could, at the last moment, lose everything you have worked for.
Thanks for the sincere comment.

I have talked to the CIC help line and have been advised that if I can manage to visit Canada once in the year and dont stay out of Canada for extended period of 3 years, I can manage to meet my residency requirement. With fingers crossed, I am figuring out to enhance my stay in Canada while availing the opportunity of PhD by having some internship or collaboration with a Canadian university. I yet have to communicate with my supervisor but I believe there might be some options. Need seniors opinion please.

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
screech339 said:
If you were Canadian instead of PR, then you would have had the same opportunity to grab both options. Unfortunately you don't have much of a choice. Either one or the other.
Thanks for the kind comment.

Back in our country or even in the continent, Cricket is very famous. If you are aware about the game, some time we say that he bowled such a nice delivery that if the batsman dont hit it, he would had been bowled.

Honorable bro/sis! if, but, may be, alas, ......they are killing words.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Why didn't you include your family as accompanying when you immigrated? If you had done that, you wouldn't be facing the problems you are now.

I'm assuming your family was included in your PR application but were flagged as "non-accompanying" and so they didn't get the PR visa and land along with you last October.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
JMOBhatti said:
Thanks for the sincere comment.

I have talked to the CIC help line and have been advised that if I can manage to visit Canada once in the year and dont stay out of Canada for extended period of 3 years, I can manage to meet my residency requirement. With fingers crossed, I am figuring out to enhance my stay in Canada while availing the opportunity of PhD by having some internship or collaboration with a Canadian university. I yet have to communicate with my supervisor but I believe there might be some options. Need seniors opinion please.
I think that you may have misunderstood the reply. The residency obligation requirements are very clear and just coming to Canada once each year is not going to help. (All it would do is enable you to appeal for your PR inside Canada, instead of being locked out by a PRTD refusal).

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
scylla said:
Why didn't you include your family as accompanying when you immigrated? If you had done that, you wouldn't be facing the problems you are now.

I'm assuming your family was included in your PR application but were flagged as "non-accompanying" and so they didn't get the PR visa and land along with you last October.
Thanks for your comment.

Well, its an interesting question. With out opening my entire gut, I believe it will answer your question if I narrate that I use to fetch drinking water from the near-by river on my head/bicycle for my home and had to sell the pet goat to pay the tuition fee for my graduate studies. After my studies, Almighty has blessed & rewarded me abundantly for all my efforts. I got a chance to meet noble laureates and study in top notch universities of the world in EU, Latin America and Asia. Even though it looks so now but it was by no mean an easy path to follow.

You are right that my family was included in the application but they were nominated as not accompanying members.

We dont have reverse button in life; other wise if I had foreseen the situation, I might have had them along with as accompanying members or etc etc.

"Money makes the mare go".

Availing the opportunity, my humble request for future commentator will be to kindly be specific for the assistance requested in the main thread.

Gratitude

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
zardoz said:
I think that you may have misunderstood the reply. The residency obligation requirements are very clear and just coming to Canada once each year is not going to help. (All it would do is enable you to appeal for your PR inside Canada, instead of being locked out by a PRTD refusal).
Might be.......thanks for enlightening me.