+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding a job while waiting

Mo!

Apr 15, 2019
Hello everyone! Please is there any advice you can give on what to do while waiting to get a feedback on my application? I applied for permanent residency a month ago. I do not know what to do with job applications since it seems employers prefer people who already have their cards. Is there a way to secure a job while waiting?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello everyone! Please is there any advice you can give on what to do while waiting to get a feedback on my application? I applied for permanent residency a month ago. I do not know what to do with job applications since it seems employers prefer people who already have their cards. Is there a way to secure a job while waiting?
Until you become a Permanent Resident, you have to go through the same steps as any other Foreign National to gain employment. That means that you will need to obtain a work permit and any employer will probably be required to apply for an LMIA. This makes it very difficult to get a job.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
What you can do while waiting for your PR visa? Research, research and research on the job market needs, look at job postings for your industry and familiarize yourself with the Canadian requirements, identify any skills gaps you may have/or opportunities to enhance existing skills - to position yourself as a competitive candidate after you move. Identify companies that have a need for your skills, try to build connections to those companies through linkedin, connect with industry recruiters on linkedin while abroad and get in touch with them after you move here...etc. Search for industry specific Bridging programs that can help you get employment or build connections to potential employers.

There's definitely a lot you can do, it just depends how much effort are you willing to put into it.