+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding a job in Vancouver BC

shishirkona

Jul 20, 2018
Hi,

I have a Masters degree from Duke University, USA and a Bachelors in Engineering from Singapore and 7+ years of experience with Accenture in South Asia. I have been actively looking for a job in Vancouver in Marketing and Communications (my NOC) for 3+ weeks now. But I am not even getting short listed. I am applying through LinkedIn and Indeed. I am also trying to network with recruiters and decision makers over LinkedIn. But nothing has come out of it so far. The lack of progress is really disheartening and I am now wondering if I am doing it all wrong! What is the right approach for finding a job? I have researched online on recruitment agencies and have also sent my resume to a few. But no response at all.

I would really appreciate some practical advice from people who have gone through the job search process and triumphed it.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi,

I have a Masters degree from Duke University, USA and a Bachelors in Engineering from Singapore and 7+ years of experience with Accenture in South Asia. I have been actively looking for a job in Vancouver in Marketing and Communications (my NOC) for 3+ weeks now. But I am not even getting short listed. I am applying through LinkedIn and Indeed. I am also trying to network with recruiters and decision makers over LinkedIn. But nothing has come out of it so far. The lack of progress is really disheartening and I am now wondering if I am doing it all wrong! What is the right approach for finding a job? I have researched online on recruitment agencies and have also sent my resume to a few. But no response at all.

I would really appreciate some practical advice from people who have gone through the job search process and triumphed it.
Are you already a PR in Canada, or are you looking from overseas?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hmm, then it comes down to the factors common to any job search. Your immigration status has nothing to do with it.

You need to look at your resume, the kinds of jobs you're applying to, the experience you have as opposed to what the employers want etc. How long have you been applying? Have you had someone look over your resume to make sure it's in the format US/Canadian employers expect?

Are you perhaps applying to jobs you don't have the experience for - remember that South Asian (Indian?) experience is somewhat discounted by Canadian employers. OTOH, you worked for Accenture and have a US Masters, so those are positive factors.

I got a job in Canada, and multiple interviews, as did many other people I know. It's certainly not impossible.

You should also try Meetup.com and going to events that are relevant to you. Get to know people in your field.

Good luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Employment and interviews tend to move at a slower pace but you can have similar issues in the US. Canadian employers will be familiar with a masters from Duke. Would imagine you may be coming from a bigger city than Vancouver and are used to the fast-paced world of consulting. Mid to top tier positions take longer to secure. Vancouver is also no really the ideal location for your skills.

shishirkona

Jul 20, 2018
Hmm, then it comes down to the factors common to any job search. Your immigration status has nothing to do with it.

You need to look at your resume, the kinds of jobs you're applying to, the experience you have as opposed to what the employers want etc. How long have you been applying? Have you had someone look over your resume to make sure it's in the format US/Canadian employers expect?

Are you perhaps applying to jobs you don't have the experience for - remember that South Asian (Indian?) experience is somewhat discounted by Canadian employers. OTOH, you worked for Accenture and have a US Masters, so those are positive factors.

I got a job in Canada, and multiple interviews, as did many other people I know. It's certainly not impossible.

You should also try Meetup.com and going to events that are relevant to you. Get to know people in your field.

Good luck.
Thanks! I am applying to roles where I do have the required skills and experience. Which online job portals did you use? Did you contact any recruitment agencies? I have been in this for 3 weeks ... I know its not a long time but since I am not getting any response at all, I am wondering if there is a better way to approach this. The resume is US/Canadian format and I have had a recruiter look over it.

shishirkona

Jul 20, 2018
Employment and interviews tend to move at a slower pace but you can have similar issues in the US. Canadian employers will be familiar with a masters from Duke. Would imagine you may be coming from a bigger city than Vancouver and are used to the fast-paced world of consulting. Mid to top tier positions take longer to secure. Vancouver is also no really the ideal location for your skills.
What are some of the ways I can look for a job? Right now I am just doing it online - LinkedIn and Indeed. I have also contacted a few recruitment agencies.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks! I am applying to roles where I do have the required skills and experience. Which online job portals did you use? Did you contact any recruitment agencies? I have been in this for 3 weeks ... I know its not a long time but since I am not getting any response at all, I am wondering if there is a better way to approach this. The resume is US/Canadian format and I have had a recruiter look over it.
Are you applying to jobs in Toronto? All the big consulting companies are here. KPMG, Accenture, etc. etc.

I applied directly to the companies I was interested in through their corporate web sites. Tech companies in my case, I worked with one of the FAAMNGs in the US so it was pretty easy to get interviews.

Try looking in the Toronto area.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What are some of the ways I can look for a job? Right now I am just doing it online - LinkedIn and Indeed. I have also contacted a few recruitment agencies.
Would leverage some contacts you made through Accenture and consulting. As I said, Vancouver is a smaller city that has a more relaxed pace.

Reactions: shishirkona

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you applying to jobs in Toronto? All the big consulting companies are here. KPMG, Accenture, etc. etc.

I applied directly to the companies I was interested in through their corporate web sites. Tech companies in my case, I worked with one of the FAAMNGs in the US so it was pretty easy to get interviews.

Tech jobs are in demand so you had that advantage.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Make sure you apply on the company website as well as LinkedIn. LinkedIn kinda sucks at connecting your application to the HR systems that many companies use. I know people at LinkedIn who were working on fixing this...

shishirkona

Jul 20, 2018
Would leverage some contacts you made through Accenture and consulting. As I said, Vancouver is a smaller city that has a more relaxed pace.
Thanks! Yes, I have started the rehiring process with Accenture but roles are hard to come by in Vancouver.

shishirkona

Jul 20, 2018

I am focusing on Vancouver as of now - thanks for the help - will start thinking of relocation if things dont start looking positive in a few weeks.