+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Financial Ability

kaleon

Jan 27, 2008
Just trying to clarify something about the financial ability section...

"Financial requirements for Canada Family Class Sponsorship for those residing in Canada (excluding Quebec):

A Sponsor must demonstrate a level of income that meets the minimum necessary income or low-income cutoff (LICO) for a given family size, as established by Statistics Canada. The Sponsor is freed from this requirement if:

* The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Canadian Sponsor; or
* The individual requiring sponsorship is the dependent child of the Canadian Sponsor." (from http://www.canadavisa.com/immigration-financial-ability.html)

Does this mean that if I am married to the person that I (as a Canadian citizen) am trying to sponsor (i.e. my spouse), then the financial requirements section does not apply?
I am a bit confused. I have been a full time student for the last 6 years, and work part time. Will this have any negative effects?

Nancy

Nov 24, 2007
Hi,

You must meet the fiancial requirement under the immigraiton status. If you do not meet the requirement and cannot support for fiancee for the next 3 years you will be turned down.

Good luck and Gradualtions in your up coming marriage

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nancy said:
Hi,

You must meet the fiancial requirement under the immigraiton status. If you do not meet the requirement and cannot support for fiancee for the next 3 years you will be turned down.
No, she/he must not.

The Sponsor is freed from this requirement if:

* The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Canadian Sponsor; or

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
You do not need to worry about any financial requirements. Shouldn't matter that you are a student, or that you only earn part-time wages. What matters to CIC is that you are not legally bankrupt, and that you are not receiving social benefits, which student loans are NOT considered.

mmmm

Mar 10, 2008
Im sorry for repeating but what about in Quebec?

Is it same?

I can't seem to find the answer on cic site.

thanx!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mmmm said:
Im sorry for repeating but what about in Quebec?

Is it same?

I can't seem to find the answer on cic site.

thanx!
No, read the requirements here: http://tinyurl.com/2xbo82

PMM

mmmm

Mar 10, 2008
thanx! PMM

sorry but just to make sure,

If you sponsor your father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, a dependent child who has a child or a close relative who is a minor and an orphan, you must prove that you have at your disposal sufficient financial resources for the duration of the undertaking (see financial standards).

no mention of common-law here so financial standards is not required, right?

i just really wanna make sure.

thanks!!!

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
mmmm said:
thanx! PMM

sorry but just to make sure,

If you sponsor your father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, a dependent child who has a child or a close relative who is a minor and an orphan, you must prove that you have at your disposal sufficient financial resources for the duration of the undertaking (see financial standards).

no mention of common-law here so financial standards is not required, right?

i just really wanna make sure.

thanks!!!
The only reason why you'd have to meet financial requirements in a common-law relationship is if your common-law partner is bringing in "a dependent child who has a child or a close relative who is a minor and an orphan".

In other words, if your common-law partner has children, and those children have children, either biological, or other children through family or adoption, then yes, there's a financial requirement. Otherwise, no.