+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finally in Canada for at least six months!

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
I crossed at Sarnia with my children on Wednesday. As some of you may know I had gotten a visitor record in September. In Sarnia I of course was sent to immigration but fiance was with me this time. We tried to think of everything they would come up with and provide an answer a head of time. The only thing we did not think of was insurance. The IO took out a refusal order and I asked what the issue was and she replied that I did not have health insurance for Canada. I blinked and said I would go get some right now on my lap top. She denied me doing that until my fiance stepped in and asked to see her superior. Finally the superior agreed that as long as I could show proof of travel insurance I could cross.
She would not stamp my passport however she stamped the children's for memories. Really I will need it for an extension once we file our application because I never want to cross again without PR status. It was very frightening and irritating that she was just not going to let me in no matter how many right answers we had.

mittens

Star Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2011
Med's Done....
20-04-2011
great news! pleased for you all

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Good to hear! :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The lesson that everyone can learn from this is, that the IO makes the decision (sometimes in spite of what the visitor might want).
In some cases like this one, it is possible to get a supervisor to change the decision, but this is certainly not always the case.

Clearly you had as much proof as you thought you needed, but it was a close call.

This is why applying for an extension (where possible) is usually a less risky option than crossing a border.

It is good that you got in, well done.

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok...hold the phone. I'm going to visit my fiance in Canada for May and June, bringing her home with me for July and returning to Canada with her "permanently" as of August. I need proof of health insurance to cross the border? Is this a requirement? They've never asked me for that before. Please clarify if you can.

-Wolf

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pseudowolf said:
Ok...hold the phone. I'm going to visit my fiance in Canada for May and June, bringing her home with me for July and returning to Canada with her "permanently" as of August. I need proof of health insurance to cross the border? Is this a requirement? They've never asked me for that before. Please clarify if you can.

-Wolf
Health insurance cover is not mandatory. Visitors to Canada are not usually covered by the healthcare system.
However, the specific IO (and supervisor) did want to see medical cover.

Apart from health cover being a very good idea, the IO may have taken that line because visitors need to "have enough money for your stay".
The amount of money required depends on what you intend to do when in Canada (if you stay in hotels then you will obviously need more cash).
I say this to show that other factors do come into play when an IO makes a decision.
Without private insurance cover, there is a risk that the visitor could incur a big expense if taken ill, the longer the stay the bigger the risk.

So that may, or may not be the thinking behind the IO's request.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
private insurance is not that expensive. hubby paid about $350 for three months for me with blue cross.
its best to have it, cause if you get sick, tough luck..hospital bills can run in the thousands. a friend of my hubby was relating to how his family member came across and then got sick and spent one night in the hospital. i think the bill quoted was 10,000 CAD.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pseudowolf said:

-Wolf
You know that you have to be careful how you do this, right? If it looks to the IO like you're coming to Canada "permanently" - then you might be refused entry. I think you're probably familiar with all of this but thought I'd mention it anyway. :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HoneyBird said:
private insurance is not that expensive. hubby paid about $350 for three months for me with blue cross.
its best to have it, cause if you get sick, tough luck..hospital bills can run in the thousands. a friend of my hubby was relating to how his family member came across and then got sick and spent one night in the hospital. i think the bill quoted was 10,000 CAD.
It is expensive without cover - I know a visitor who was billed over $600 for a "pulled muscle" in his back. That was for a hospital visit and two physiotherapy sessions.

Private cover is a smart move.

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Yes so now we are going to shop to make sure that we are covered so that when we apply for an extension we can show that. I am definitely not leaving unless told to so no flagpoling because it is way to risky. I think that if my fiance was not there I DEFINITELY would have been refused.
What is interesting is the IO was questioning our relationship and I was skirting around how serious we were. The more I just replied we have been dating the more she kept asking how serious. I did not cross with my ring showing either. Long three hour story we did finally get through and what a relief!
Baloo-we asked if it was mandatory for coverage and she said it was. I showed more than 9,000 in an account for a six week stay as far as she knew. So really confused but Patrick felt like she was searching for a reason to keep that refusal order valid and we just kept proving more ties etc so the insurance was the final nail in the coffin.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Patricksgirls, I would like to see the note that says that health insurance is mandatory, I have never seen or heard that before.
As my signature states I am not a lawyer, I also don't claim to know everything :)
Maybe she (the IO) was defending her opinion rather than stating a legal fact, no doubt others will comment.

I think you are correct on the outcome if your partner had not been with you.

It is good that you are now inside Canada, it is a wonderful place, all the better when your family is with you ;D

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
My bf went to the emergency because something snapped in his foot when playing BBall. The bill was $590. So we were happy we had the coverage. They paid the bill directly. Very easy and totally worth it.

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
You know that you have to be careful how you do this, right? If it looks to the IO like you're coming to Canada "permanently" - then you might be refused entry. I think you're probably familiar with all of this but thought I'd mention it anyway. :)
Thanks for the heads up, scylla! I am aware that looking too much like i'm moving there is a danger so we're trying to figure out a solution. I have few ties tot he US other than family since I am a student and am only employed for short peridos. I will look more into the insurance idea for the short term but I'm not sure whether I will be covered under my fiance's plan once we're married because i'm an not a PR yet.

Thanks Baloo - insightful as always!!

The waters of immigration just seem to get deeper and more choppy farther in you wade........

-Wolf

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Baloo there was no paper stating that fact it is just she (the IO)kept saying part of their criteria. It went round and round and round for sure! I was shaking and did not relax until I walked into our home here.
The funny thing is that we are both truck drivers and thought the issue would be the fact that we crossed in a commercial vehicle even though I did not drive. That was not even brought up.
I am glad that I did not pack much. They searched the inside of the truck and luckily there was just one suitcase for each of us. We had all my immigration proof and paperwork inside his briefcase and that was the one thing they did not open! I am not sure why I am flagged as I have never overstayed, not waiting for PR at the moment and no criminal record. Just in love with a Canadian.
When I asked to see a supervisor I had to answer all the same questions AGAIN even though he was standing there from the beginning. I think also if we were not in the truck I would have been turned around back to Port Credit. I thought that Sarnia was the pleasant crossing lol!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just in love with a Canadian.
Now we can see what the real problem is.....

grabbing a Canadian citizen for yourself, a heinous crime :)

Actually I wasn't suggesting that the IO had a piece of paper detailing mandatory health cover, I meant somewhere on an official document.

When I asked to see a supervisor I had to answer all the same questions AGAIN even though he was standing there from the beginning.
SOP - Standard Operating Procedure, to check if your story was real (or if your memory works).