+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Final Decision : India or Canada - 15 days left to decide.

kn2172

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
I have a Q regarding making the move ,

It would be great if you can share your views.

We are family of 3 , Me 33 , husband 35 and Kid 3. We have got our PR cards and planning to move. But still in dilemma. we earn around 18-20 LPA here in a software company. Job is relaxed easy going. Approximately how much time should i give before getting an IT job. Secondly ,if not a software job , would I be able to get a decent survival job at least to pay rent ,food and fees for my family alone ? Please share your views..The only things we are concerned about are not able to survive with a single person (husband) working in minimum wage jobs. Apart from that we don't have any other issues to move.. What would you do if you were in my place ?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto

We are family of 3 , Me 33 , husband 35 and Kid 3. We have got our PR cards and planning to move. But still in dilemma. we earn around 18-20 LPA here in a software company. Job is relaxed easy going. Approximately how much time should i give before getting an IT job. Secondly ,if not a software job , would I be able to get a decent survival job at least to pay rent ,food and fees for my family alone ? Please share your views..The only things we are concerned about are not able to survive with a single person (husband) working in minimum wage jobs. Apart from that we don't have any other issues to move.. What would you do if you were in my place ?
There is no correct answer to this and the decision to switch countries is a very personal one to make.

I would budget for 6 months for finding a job, many folks find it faster, many take longer. Sw is a transferable skill unlike say doctor or marketing , so you are in good domain from that pov.

Regarding survival, rarely do folks reach that level. If folks are unable to find a job that satisfies their criteria of living standard, they just return to their home country. Do some research to get a good picture of job market in your discipline so that you have a head start and can take up any course or certificate to improve your chances.

It is important to remind yourselves why you are doing this move and project what you want to achieve and enumerate what needs to happen for that. Work through those things one step at a time with a positive approach. If things don't work, you have a fallback option.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If possible would suggest that you move to Canada before your wife and child to start looking for a job and looking for housing. I agree that immigrating is a very personal decision. Your lifestyle can often go down when moving to Canada if you are living a comfortable life in your home country. Most Canadian families need to have both parents working to somewhat afford the life they want. Many have lots of help at home and are used to having someone to cook, clean, help with childcare, gardening, etc. That won’t be the case in Canada. There are also no guarantees that family will be able to move to Canada. If you are looking for an adventure and a safe and clean place for your family and have realistic expectations moving to Canada might be a good idea.

Smith261215

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
It totally depends. everybody's luck is different but i can see that you are an IT professional so don't worry you can get a good job within 3 months. my brother moved to canada in April 2017 and he got his first job as web developer within one month with $70000 annually he accepted, later he got another offer with $85000.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Move to Canada.. You can move first, establish yourself and then have your family move. Getting job in IT is quite easy and might 2-3 months to get a job. If you want to play safe, just take long vacation from your work and look for jobs.

schilz

Star Member
Dec 25, 2018
Keep in mind that while a salary could be higher in Canada, living expenses are too.
The quality of life you might have back home with 18-20 LPA could be much higher than what you can get with a higher paying job in Canada, as the cost of living is greater. Plus there is a risk that your skills might not get you a high paying job, depending on the market and your particular set of skills.
Overcrowded markets like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc. are filled with skilled workers all competing for the same jobs which makes a job hunt much more difficult.

In either case, its a very personal decision and I wish you the best of luck!

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
I thought Indian parents sacrifice everything for their kids "bright" future.

You will not do the same ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I thought Indian parents sacrifice everything for their kids "bright" future.

You will not do the same ?
Coming to Canada doesn’t ensure that your children will have a brighter future versus staying in India. It really depends on your situation. In many ways there are much more opportunities in India. Very individual choice.

Reactions: Tarun1306

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015

It depends on what your priorities are. If you and your kids are happy where you are and you feel that you can save enough for retirement including medical expenses and the kids' education then I can say you are set there. However, if you feel that you want to provide your children with other opportunities that are not available where you are now, maybe you can consider moving to Canada.

If you want to move but afraid of expenses, the either husband or wife can move first and find a job, find a home in a good neighbourhood and the family can follow after a couple of months. This can also help you gauge the day to day expenses, typical life here, weather, etc. As for the available jobs, you can check Indeed Canada and try looking for companies currently hiring.

Good luck!

momemon

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017

If you guys are hustlers and willing to work hard, North America is the place to be regardless of living expenses/taxes. You both have a pretty good chance of finding a decent job here within the first few months. I don't know which province/city you want to move to, but I'd advice to absolutely check winter weathers and plan your move accordingly. If you are moving to say Greater Toronto Area, it is better to make the move during summer/early fall rather than around winter months. That will give you a good few months to navigate, find a place to live, find jobs, and settle before winter. Lastly, think about why you guys spent time, efforts, and money in getting the PR in the first place? If your initial goal was to settle in Canada for good, do NOT fall back now based on uncertainty of job/expenses. You'll never know what good is written for you until you make the move. Feel free to ask if you have any other/more specific questions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Really has to do with personal preference. You are currently making a very good salary in India. This likely allows you to send your children a good school, live comfortably, you can live on a single income. You also are guaranteed that you can live/care for your parents. If you come to Canada and lived in Toronto your wife would probably have to find a good job and work if you want a similar lifestyle. Depending on how much you earn and if your wife earns something similar private school would still be in reach. Without a second income private school is out. You will likely have to make more compromises on houses, cars, after school activities, travel, etc. It is not all possible. Immigration from various countries made sense for most people 10-15 years ago. That is not necessarily the case now. I think many are pressured by their family or community to immigrate to another country without actually looking at possible opportunities in their own country. It is much easier to build the next big business in India versus Canada. A lot less rules and red tape, labour costs are lower, potential customer/user base is huge compared to Canada.

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
jan 2012 along with medicals
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
nov 16 2012 :D
You should be fine as long as you dont mind adjusting to Canadian way of life (paying taxes, law abiding etc). Just the clean environment and safety in canada makes it worth moving to.

kn2172

Star Member
Jul 30, 2014
Hi Everyone, who posted feedback and stories of each. That was quite helpful... So now, here is my conclusion when i matched what people say and what my situation is :

I am (35) & we are family of three. Wife (33) & Kid(3). We are all PR holders of Canada under the Nova Scotia provincial nominee program. This year we are planning to make a permanent move to Canada within the next 30-40 days.

On the professional front, I have been working as an Oracle DBA since the past 11 years with Amdocs & Infosys in India.

Before making the move we started researching and taking feedback from many people in Canada through various mediums (personal contacts, WhatsApp, Facebook, etc.) regarding the current job scenario for new immigrants. From most of the people, the feedback we got was that it does make sense to make the move in our case due to age, technology(DBA) & financial savings. On checking further we found people in the IT industry were quite positive. But again, when we checked more we found that the IT people who were happy about coming to Canada were all developers and testers.

At the same time we started checking various job portal and found there are very few jobs for DBAs and even if they are there, most of them required MS SQL server skills.

So ultimately when we matched my skills (Oracle DBA) with the available jobs, we found it negative and stuck in dilemma. We went further and started talking with DBAs who are currently working in Canada and found that DBA work is mostly handled by internal people and there are very chances that the organizations put up the job openings for DBAs.

From all these conversation & research, we concluded a few things and started finding answers for the same. It would be really great if you can share your advice on the same and we would be highly glad if you can help us in any way to get into the first job at any level.

Below are the concerns that we are facing now and finding out the way to get over them.

1) How is the job market for Oracle DBAs in Canada? Is the DBA job market dying in Canada? If Yes, where are the people moving from DBA profile?

2) Are most of the DBA jobs looking for MS SQL Server instead of Oracle?

3) Or are most of the DBA jobs looking for multiple technologies?

4) Are the DBAs in Canada moving to become Data Engineer? If yes, how easy is for them to get jobs as data engineers? Is there any good training or internship programs where we can get into the industry at a beginner level and move up from there.

5) How can I improve myself to get a good job in Canada with an oracle DBA background? Also, I would like to honestly state whatever work I have done in DBA experience is very superficial and was never much challenging. I started to move my career towards AWS and also completed AWS cloud certification but never got a chance to work on an actual project.

I am attaching my resume for your reference.

Thank you so much for the time & support you are providing.

leothelion123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2012
From a fellow Indian who was earning exactly the same amount in India in 2015 at the same age - was working in Accenture though and in .NET. In short:

DON'T MOVE

1. The money you are making in India in terms of purchasing power parity is close to 200k in places like Toronto.
2. Very unlikely that you will get a perm job with 200k in next 5 years.
3. You will forever have to stay in a Cockroach and Beg Bug infested apartment and drive an old car in Toronto if you plan to SAVE money with a full time job in Toronto.
4. The moment you come you will see the immense backlog in day care(s) - you can be lucky if you start the process the day you land here.
5. The only option which you will be pushed into to maintain your lifestyle - is contracting. And the stress wouldn't be worth it.
6. Don't listen to the BS of child s education - there are way affordable private education options in India which will be very close to the public ones here. You won't be able to afford private education in Toronto.
7. Last option - both of you work full time then you will spend whatever you save on the down payment of a condo. The cycle will continue again.

Hope this harsh truth helps.

PS: Don't think you can survive in Canada on $100k - those (as you mentioned in your post) are appealing to developers not people with our profiles.

This is from Toronto perspective - don't think NS will be very different.

Reactions: canuck78