Interview........
N/A, Background check In-Process: 23-11-2016
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 12-01-2017; PPR Email: 23-01-2017; DM on MyCIC: 06-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR sent: 06-02-2017
LANDED..........
11-02-2017
I was hoping someone could clarify a few things for me. I've done a good amount of research on the subject but still confused as to the process. My wife and I are living the US and will be moving to Canada in the next 6 months. We want to "land" so I could receive my PR card (we can have it mailed to my in-laws house) even though we will not be moving until summer. So a few questions

1. Do we list our car on the B4 form? I understand there are paperwork needed to be completed once we officially import the car, but if we are just "flagpoling" at the Canadian border, will listing the car on the B4 be sufficient until we officially come back to permanently move with the car?

2. When we arrive at the border, should we state our intention of not permanently moving to Canada just yet? Or should we just just not say anything about going back to the US?

3. If in the next 6 months we accumulate anything else (get a new car, new furniture, etc) is there an addendum to the B4 or will we be taxed on anything else we acquire after we file the B4 even though we haven't officially moved.

4. How about listing a hunting rifle on the B4 form? I understand there is a bunch of licensing procedures to do including getting a temporary 60 day license at the border while we apply for a license for the hunting rifle, but for the purposes of landing simply listing the rifle on the B4 should be alright, correct? (assuming of course the rifle will not be with us for the landing process)

Thank you for the help! Getting the PR card is very important for me to look for work which is why we want to "land" before we actually move (as well as to expedite Citizenship timeline, etc.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
1. yes, if you intend to import your car at some point, you want to list it as a conveyance on the declaration form you tick as "goods to follow". it is not necessary to import it at that time. you can import it at a later date.

2. i would not recommend giving out that information to CBSA. We have seen stories on this forum where CBSA has refused to land people because they mention this type of thing. That isn't to say this is the "norm". This is to say it can happen and it's none of CBSA's business what you do after landing. if they specifically ask, then you want to tell the truth. It is doubtful they will ask.
Note you will need to provide a canadian address for your PR cards. This can be a family or friend's address in canada. the cards will not be mailed outside of canada.

3. generally, i'd say if you buy anything that is not on the goods to follow form, then you'll be subject to duty. i believe they also take into account when the item is purchased. that being said, you can always ask the CBSA officer about this when they are processing your forms. For big ticket items such as a car and furniture, it's usually better to buy these things in Canada anyway. The exchange rate isn't that great, and the prices really aren't going to be any different than in Canada for most things. Especially when you take into importing a car. it would be an unnecessary hassle.

4. Yes, if you plan to bring a rifle into Canada, it needs to go on your declaration form. I'd imagine CBSA would tell you what other paperwork is needed upon your declaration. You can always call the CBSA office and ask or look on their website for information.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
CDNPR2014 said:
3. generally, i'd say if you buy anything that is not on the goods to follow form, then you'll be subject to duty. i believe they also take into account when the item is purchased. that being said, you can always ask the CBSA officer about this when they are processing your forms. For big ticket items such as a car and furniture, it's usually better to buy these things in Canada anyway. The exchange rate isn't that great, and the prices really aren't going to be any different than in Canada for most things. Especially when you take into importing a car. it would be an unnecessary hassle.
Also, you can add few extra items in "Good to follow" lists if you anticipate few additions between "short landing" and "actual landing". For ex- If you have 20 suitcases of clothes now and you anticipate 25 suitcases at the time of "actual landing" , just mention 25.

Similarly , if you plan to buy some new furniture after "short landing" then just add it to "Good to follow" list now.

Off course , this won't work for Automobiles as we need to mention VIN in B4 forms but might even work for items like Laptops and Cameras as CBSA does not match Serial # of electronics items mentioned in B4 against actual serial #.

knowledge101

Aug 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-08-2016
File Transfer...
22-08-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront, 04-08-2016
Interview........
N/A, Background check In-Process: 23-11-2016
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 12-01-2017; PPR Email: 23-01-2017; DM on MyCIC: 06-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR sent: 06-02-2017
LANDED..........
11-02-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
1. yes, if you intend to import your car at some point, you want to list it as a conveyance on the declaration form you tick as "goods to follow". it is not necessary to import it at that time. you can import it at a later date.

2. i would not recommend giving out that information to CBSA. We have seen stories on this forum where CBSA has refused to land people because they mention this type of thing. That isn't to say this is the "norm". This is to say it can happen and it's none of CBSA's business what you do after landing. if they specifically ask, then you want to tell the truth. It is doubtful they will ask.
Note you will need to provide a canadian address for your PR cards. This can be a family or friend's address in canada. the cards will not be mailed outside of canada.

4. Yes, if you plan to bring a rifle into Canada, it needs to go on your declaration form. I'd imagine CBSA would tell you what other paperwork is needed upon your declaration. You can always call the CBSA office and ask or look on their website for information.
Thanks!

APPNOV2014NY said:
Also, you can add few extra items in "Good to follow" lists if you anticipate few additions between "short landing" and "actual landing". For ex- If you have 20 suitcases of clothes now and you anticipate 25 suitcases at the time of "actual landing" , just mention 25.

Similarly , if you plan to buy some new furniture after "short landing" then just add it to "Good to follow" list now.

Off course , this won't work for Automobiles as we need to mention VIN in B4 forms but might even work for items like Laptops and Cameras as CBSA does not match Serial # of electronics items mentioned in B4 against actual serial #.
Thank you! Exactly what I was planning on doing.