+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filling out ArriveCAN form

linhbui

Nov 28, 2018
Hi everyone,

I'll do my first landing in Vancouver in a couple of weeks with my COPR and I'm having a few questions regarding the arriveCAN app:

1. The 1st question on the form "What best describes you or your primary reason for entering Canada?" . These are the options:

a. Canadian citizens and others with a right of entry (PR, a person registered under the Indian Act)

b. Work/ employment or essential reasons

c. Discretionary/ optional travel

d. Study

e. Compassionate entry

f. Family reunification

g. Other

I'll be landing as a new immigrant so I assume I should choose option a?

2. I'm aware that I will need to provide my address in Canada on the form.

For this first landing, I will be staying in the country for 1-2 months only at some airbnb accommodations. For receiving the PR card, I'm going to use a friend's address in Vancouver. I think I will need to provide my friend's address when I arrive at the airport. For the arriveCAN form, I should give the airbnb address, right? Would be there any issues if/when the officer at the airport sees that I provide 2 different addresses?

3. Apparently the app also requires a phone number. Since I'll be arriving for the first time, I don't have a Canada number yet. Can I provide the number I'm using in my home country and update it later once I've got a Can sim card? I read somewhere that it is possible, but I hope someone can confirm.

Many thanks!

Reactions: manideeplanka

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think:

1 G because you are a new immigrant and not yet a PR.
2 Airbnb address. Depends on the immigration officer if you need to update a permanent Canadian address later
3 You can use your home country's phone or your Canadian friend's cell phone.

Reactions: linhbui

linhbui

Nov 28, 2018
I think:

1 G because you are a new immigrant and not yet a PR.
2 Airbnb address. Depends on the immigration officer if you need to update a permanent Canadian address later
3 You can use your home country's phone or your Canadian friend's cell phone.
Thanks so much for your reply!

manideeplanka

Apr 15, 2019
Hey thanks for the answer @steaky

Same case here. Can you please also tell how to show that I can quarantine at my cousin's place?
Is their address enough? Or is something else required?

Also, just like @linhbui , I'll be staying only a couple of weeks and will come back later. Can I tell the same to the immigration officer?
I'm asking this because this is what I have in my CoPR:

(the first point in the extra requirements)

linhbui

Nov 28, 2018

Same case here. Can you please also tell how to show that I can quarantine at my cousin's place?

Also, just like @linhbui , I'll be staying only a couple of weeks and will come back later. Can I tell the same to the immigration officer?

I've just arrived this morning and the officer was aware that I was doing a soft landing only. She said it's ok to have my PR card sent to a friend's address in Canada, and it may take 2-3 months.

FYI, on the ArriveCAN form I chose "other" for question 1, and I provided the airbnb address where I am staying. But at the immigration desk I gave my friend's address for PR cards. No issues at all. The officers were very friendly and patient with some others who didn't speak much English.

manideeplanka

Apr 15, 2019
Oh you landed already? Great!
That sounds assuring, thank you!
So two things:
1. I can tell them I came only for a soft landing and that I’ll plan to come back later permanently
2. I can give them the address I’ll be staying and no extra proof is required

WBC

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
I've just arrived this morning and the officer was aware that I was doing a soft landing only. She said it's ok to have my PR card sent to a friend's address in Canada, and it may take 2-3 months.

FYI, on the ArriveCAN form I chose "other" for question 1, and I provided the airbnb address where I am staying. But at the immigration desk I gave my friend's address for PR cards. No issues at all. The officers were very friendly and patient with some others who didn't speak much English.
Congrats on landing. Could you please advise:

1. did they ask you for quarantine plan?
3. did you provide a goods accompanying list? If yes, did you have a handwritten/typed out list or did you use a form? (assume no goods to follow as this was a soft landing)
2. were you asked to do a covid test?
3. how long would you estimate the process was to get through?
Congratulations again and welcome to Canada!

tomx420

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020

When was you're CoPR issued?
Mine was issued dec-2021 and didnt have anything like this. Infact it did say I can come temporarily but need to have an address for pr card.

manideeplanka

Apr 15, 2019
Mine was issued in October 2021.

@linhbui how did the officer know you came for soft landing? did she ask it specifically? or did you volunteer the info yourself?

sumcando

Mar 16, 2019
Congratulations @linhbui!!

Can you also advise if you were able to get SIN at Vancouver airport or you had to go to some other ServiceCanada office?

Keen to know your response on quarantine plan as you mentioned that you are staying at an AirBnB. Are AirBnB bookings accepted as quarantine plan ?

WBC

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
I landed! Do we have to book an appointment to apply for a SIN in person?
If you didn't do it at the airport then you can go to any Service Canada office that offers SIN card registration between their office hours. No appointment necessary. You can google to find which office is nearest your location. Welcome to Canada. Please do share your landing experience along with Covid requirements please and thanks.