+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing taxes while wife is Indian citizen

deep143

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
I am a Canadian PR holder and got married to an India citizen girl in India in oct 2020.

I am back to Canada now but our relationship isn’t going well that’s why I haven’t sponsored my spouse yet.

I need to file my income tax return for 2020 in Canada. As a married person, I guess I need to report her income in India too. How do I report my spouse’s income if she isn’t willing to share it with me accurately? I know her approximate income though. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
I am a Canadian PR holder and got married to an India citizen girl in India in oct 2020.

I am back to Canada now but our relationship isn’t going well that’s why I haven’t sponsored my spouse yet.

I need to file my income tax return for 2020 in Canada. As a married person, I guess I need to report her income in India too. How do I report my spouse’s income if she isn’t willing to share it with me accurately? I know her approximate income though. Thanks!
If she isn't willing to tell you her accurate income that is problematic on many levels but if she is unwilling submitting an estimate is better than nothing.

Amit_gupta143143

Star Member
May 7, 2021
I reported my status in CRA to ‘separated’ in May 2021. I applied for divorce from Canada in June 2021 but didn’t serve the papers to her as we reconciled before I could do that. I didn’t withdraw the divorce file from court because my lawyer told me that the divorce application will automatically become null and void within a year if papers aren’t served to the other party.

My question is - in this situation, Should I change my marital status to married and file my 2021 taxes as married.

Thanks in advance!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I reported my status in CRA to ‘separated’ in May 2021. I applied for divorce from Canada in June 2021 but didn’t serve the papers to her as we reconciled before I could do that. I didn’t withdraw the divorce file from court because my lawyer told me that the divorce application will automatically become null and void within a year if papers aren’t served to the other party.

My question is - in this situation, Should I change my marital status to married and file my 2021 taxes as married.

Thanks in advance!
Ask your lawyer.