+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Filing tax returns after becoming a Permanent Resident

rhetorisch

Full Member
Jun 12, 2008
42
1
Once you become a PR, do you need to file a tax return even if you have no income? It may sound foolish that one doesnt have any income at all. However in the case of most newcomers it would be a few months or even many months before they get a job. In other cases (like myself), there may be a huge span of time before the PR actually starts living and working in Canada. I became a PR in October 2010. I plan to start living there may be a year later. Until that time I have no income whatsoever so I obviously pay no taxes. Do I still need to go through the ritual of filing a return stating ZERO income?
 

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
10,712
782
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may want to file a tax return even if you have no income but would like to get benefits such as UCCB. See the website for details.
 

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
21,957
1,277
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to file taxes if you were not living in Canada so say you did not live in Canada for any part of 2010 or 2011, you do not have to file taxes for those years. If you arrive in late 2011, you can file a zero tax return to ask for your HST/GST credit. They will give you a little money if you do that.
 

olags

Full Member
Oct 25, 2011
26
0
Does it means if I arrived early 2012 my income outside canada will be subject to tax also or only my income inside Canada in 2012 will be subject to tax?
 

FARPADANA

Star Member
Nov 1, 2010
75
2
Visa Office......
london
App. Filed.......
april 2009
Med's Request
10/05/2010-24/08/2010
Med's Done....
15/09/2010
Passport Req..
23/12/2010
VISA ISSUED...
12/12/2010
LANDED..........
20/08/2011
olags said:
Does it means if I arrived early 2012 my income outside canada will be subject to tax also or only my income inside Canada in 2012 will be subject to tax?
I have the same question. I landed sep 2011. I filled tax return and child benefit after landing and receiving the monthly small amount of money.but I left Canada after 1 month. I plan to go back to Canada for good early 2013!. for the current year do I need to fill up the forms?
 

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
21,957
1,277
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FARPADANA said:
I have the same question. I landed sep 2011. I filled tax return and child benefit after landing and receiving the monthly small amount of money.but I left Canada after 1 month. I plan to go back to Canada for good early 2013!. for the current year do I need to fill up the forms?
A requirement to getting child tax benefit is that you are living in Canada. You are not so you are not entitled to it. If you have been getting it in error, you should notify CRA that you are not living in Canada and offer to pay it back.

By filing taxes right after you arrived, you made yourself a tax resident of Canada. You could ask CRA to not consider you a tax resident of Canada as you are not living in Canada right now. Then you would not have to file. Otherwise, they will expect you to file.
 

cooldoc80

Hero Member
Nov 1, 2010
587
16
NOC Code......
4111
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
dear leon the mightly ;D

could you please help me with this question .

After i become a permenant resident i plan to leave me wife at canada( 6 months a year) and I come visit (3 months a year )


I plan on repeating this scenario for ( four years ) !

my question is , do i have to pay taxis while i'm working outside of canada or not ?


thanks alot for your answer
 

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
1,675
258
cooldoc80 said:
dear leon the mightly ;D
could you please help me with this question .
After i become a permenant resident i plan to leave me wife at canada( 6 months a year) and I come visit (3 months a year )
I plan on repeating this scenario for ( four years ) !
my question is , do i have to pay taxis while i'm working outside of canada or not ?
thanks alot for your answer
If your wife is living in Canada, you will most likely be considered a resident for tax purposes and will have to pay tax on your global income.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cmmn/rsdncy-eng.html
 

cooldoc80

Hero Member
Nov 1, 2010
587
16
NOC Code......
4111
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
EVEN IF MY WIFE LIVES ONLY 6 MONTHS A YEAR ? WOULD THAT CONSIDER ME TO BE A RESIDENT AND PAY TAXES?
 

jazibkg

Hero Member
Apr 4, 2014
379
34
cooldoc80 said:
dear leon the mightly ;D

could you please help me with this question .

After i become a permenant resident i plan to leave me wife at canada( 6 months a year) and I come visit (3 months a year )


I plan on repeating this scenario for ( four years ) !

my question is , do i have to pay taxis while i'm working outside of canada or not ?


thanks alot for your answer
You do realize you'll lose your residency this way too?
 

cooldoc80

Hero Member
Nov 1, 2010
587
16
NOC Code......
4111
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
torontosm said:
You can check with the CRA, but I'm pretty sure that it would.

THANKS DEAR

SO, LETS ASSUME I HAVE TO PAY TAXES HOW WILL THEY CHECK MY SALARY AND HOW WILL THEY CALCULATE HOW MUCH I SHOULD PAY ?

ALSO ANOTHER QUESTION PLEASE , IF I HAVE PROPERTIES WHICH I INTEND TO SELL LATER AFTER GETTING PERMENANT RESIDENCY , WILL I HAVE TO PAY TAX CUT ON THEM TOO , OR THINGS I HAVE BEFORE PR DOSENT COUNT ?

THANKS
 

cooldoc80

Hero Member
Nov 1, 2010
587
16
NOC Code......
4111
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
jazibkg said:
You do realize you'll lose your residency this way too?
THANKS FOR THE REMINDER JAZ , ACTUALLY I INTEND TO STAY 3 MONTHS A YEAR FOR ( 4 YEARS ) AFTER THAT I WILL STAY PERMENANTELY IN CANADA SO HOPFULLY I WONT LOSE MY PR
 

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
1,675
258
cooldoc80 said:
THANKS DEAR

SO, LETS ASSUME I HAVE TO PAY TAXES HOW WILL THEY CHECK MY SALARY AND HOW WILL THEY CALCULATE HOW MUCH I SHOULD PAY ?

ALSO ANOTHER QUESTION PLEASE , IF I HAVE PROPERTIES WHICH I INTEND TO SELL LATER AFTER GETTING PERMENANT RESIDENCY , WILL I HAVE TO PAY TAX CUT ON THEM TOO , OR THINGS I HAVE BEFORE PR DOSENT COUNT ?

THANKS
I'm not sure how they will check your salary, but I would caution you against lying to the CRA or misrepresenting your income in any way. They can come after you with severe fines and penalties, and can even pursue criminal charges if they want.

As for your properties, you will be responsible for the capital gains you realize when you sell them, or income tax on any rental income you receive from them. For now, you just have to disclose that you own them (assuming they are worth more than $100,000).
 

kunde052

Member
Oct 24, 2017
13
0
Few scenario questions:

1. On PR and I have no income - Should I still file tax returns? ( Assuming I do not need the benefits mentioned here)?
2. On PR and I have no income and only lived 2 weeks in one whole year in Canada - Should I still file the tax returns?? (Assuming I do not need the benefits mentioned here)