+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

File transfer from Buffalo to a satellite office (NYC, Seattle, LA, Detroit)

silverbee

Star Member
May 22, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo --> NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 15, 2010
File Transfer...
August 15, 2010
Passport Req..
November 9, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010
So I have been doing some thinking while I wait...

If your application is going to get refused, then they must ask for an interview, which only happens at the satellite locations. Therefore, if you get transferred, you are of the group that may be declined, as opposed to those that do not get transferred (and therefore not interviewed, and not refused). So while being transferred may be good for those "expedited" applications, it also increases the possibility of being interviewed and potentially declined. Any thoughts?

K

kalew2010

bonacker said:
My NY-office-specific instructions for return of my passport to my current address IN CANADA (I'm here on a visitor's visa) say that they cannot and will not send things back via courier like Fedex to a Canadian address. They say there is only one exception: If you use a "prepaid courier envelope from a CORPORATE account." So I'm leery of trying to just set up my own personal account and using a Fedex envelope. Anyone? Anyone??
Hey bonacker...we sent it with a person account. We figure the worst that can happen is they will toss out the return envelope we sent and send it via regular mail to Canada. I think having a personal account is good enough for them they just don't want things like "pay on delivery" or whatever else is available. I'll keep you up to speed on things. We sent the passport on Wednesday so if the FedEx envelope works we should see it back in a week or so (possibly)

K

kalew2010

silverbee said:
If your application is going to get refused, then they must ask for an interview, which only happens at the satellite locations. Therefore, if you get transferred, you are of the group that may be declined, as opposed to those that do not get transferred (and therefore not interviewed, and not refused). So while being transferred may be good for those "expedited" applications, it also increases the possibility of being interviewed and potentially declined. Any thoughts?
I don't think that the transfer makes you any more or less likely to be refused. We were transferred as well and I had no reason to think they would refuse the application. Many apps that were transferred have been approved (LA, Detroit, NYC etc) and without an interview from what I can remember. We seem to just be luck of the draw to have been sent to NYC. I doubt that they looked into our apps much other than to confirm everything was there before it was transferred. Of course I have no idea of the specific process but this is just what I can imagine happens since we had a solid case and submitted a ton of evidence. Hope this helps and try not to stress too much!! Wishing for a quick decision for you!

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
26-07-2010 (Aug.6 rec'vd by Ottawa)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
hello everyone, we got an email today saying that our application for PR was transferred to L.A. consulate. is this a good thing? do they process applications faster?

AngelB

May 13, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 7th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 26th 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Nov 11th 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 23rd 2010
LANDED..........
Nov 26th 2010
I guess it's my turn to join here... Our application is now in Detroit. This is incredibly confusing. :(

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
AngelB said:
I guess it's my turn to join here... Our application is now in Detroit. This is incredibly confusing. :(
they are transferring a lot of files today...been reading about it in different cateogries too like mine (Provincial nominee) and skilled worker...

iLoveSnow

Sep 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My file was transferred to Detroit today. I'm glad I found this thread! It's encouraging to read everyones accounts. Also very encouraging to read that Detroit hasn't been taking a long time for most people. I'm hoping for a quick resolution! :)

ryand

Oct 27, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffallo then NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-8-2010
File Transfer...
22-08-2010
Application was transferred to NYC.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I sent in an address change twice (moved to new apartment) and when I check status for the application online, it still says the old address. Emails sent indicate that we shouldn't contact Buffalo office for information of application now that it is transferred.

Has anyone had luck contacting the NYC office to see status of application process?

rubyalabar

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2010
Nomination.....
21-02-2010
AOR Received.
23-06-2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
23-06-2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-01-2011
LANDED..........
04-02-2011
i actually have a somewhat related question. just go the email yesterday that our file was transferred to Los Angeles. we are about to send change of address to buffalo visa offfice, but because of the email we are unsure if we should send it now or wait a week or two. if they send an email saying the file was tranferred, is the acutal file already physically transferred to the new consulate at the time the email was sent or is it still in transit?

i dont want to send the change of address and RPRF if our file is not there yet.

K

kalew2010

ryand said:
Application was transferred to NYC.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I sent in an address change twice (moved to new apartment) and when I check status for the application online, it still says the old address. Emails sent indicate that we shouldn't contact Buffalo office for information of application now that it is transferred.

Has anyone had luck contacting the NYC office to see status of application process?
No luck contacting them. We sent an email (twice) and then a fax. We got the PPR just fine at the new address though so I wouldn't worry about it....they won't confirm this so you just have to trust that it's updated.

ryand

Oct 27, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffallo then NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-8-2010
File Transfer...
22-08-2010
kalew2010 said:
No luck contacting them. We sent an email (twice) and then a fax. We got the PPR just fine at the new address though so I wouldn't worry about it....they won't confirm this so you just have to trust that it's updated.
Ok, thanks for the info. My wife and I also tried the US immigration process. At least the Canada process is a little bit transparent.

thebaileyohana

Aug 5, 2010
Hawaii/Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
9-01-10
AOR Received.
10-16-10
File Transfer...
10-28-10
Med's Request
None
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
16-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2010
LANDED..........
19-11-2010
Hey everyone! Soo... hows this for irony! Yesterday, I began reading this thread about file transfers to other offices, this morning I get an email saying MY file has been transfered from Buffalo to Los Angeles! lol. :p Hopefully this WILL expedite the process!

iLoveSnow

Sep 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just a quick update. My wife called MICC and they informed us that they opened our case on the 19th and that it takes about 20 working days to process. Soo...so much for hoping we'd get approved in two weeks like some people had (after the transferring of their file). Anyway...still hoping for the best.
Oh and Ohana
Welcome to the club ;)

K

kalew2010

FYI - passport is on its way back from NYC. FedEx works but you have to set up an account. :)

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
27-07-2010 (to Detroit 15/09/10)
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2010 (arrived 01-11-2010)
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
Hey guys!

No update for me yet :( I am still waiting for my passport to return with the visa. The Detroit office received it on Oct 12 so it will be 3 weeks next Tuesday.

Anyone knows how long I should expect? I am starting to get worried that it is lost...but I know the mail system can be slow on top of the CIC process.