+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

File taxes outside Canada

Zelsan

May 6, 2013
Last year I worked for a company in Vancouver until early July and after that my work visa unfortunately ended so I had to leave the country. Now that I have to file my taxes I'm not quite sure how to do so.

I read on the CRA website that I can't use netfile because I have an address outside of Canada so I have to use a regular paper form. That sucks but I can live with it. My problem comes when having to figure out which forms I'm supposed to use.
At first I thought I had to use the non-resident tax forms, but according to a page I found on the CRA website (the forum won't let me post the link, but it's titled "Leaving Canada (emigrants)") I have to use the general income tax package for the province where I was living in (BC in my case).
If I'm understanding that page correctly I would only have to use the non-resident one if I had any income during the second part of 2013. I haven't been working since I left Canada, so that means I don't have to fill it out, right? ???

Am I correct in understanding that I only have to fill out the BC forms (plus schedule 1 for the federal taxes, of course) or do I actually have to fill out the non-resident ones?

Any help would be appreciated!!!!! ;)

Rosie1957

Mar 9, 2014
You would never have to file two different returns for the same year. For the year that you emigrated, file your return using the BC tax package. You need to report:
- All income received from any country from January 1 to the date of emigration; and
- Any Canadian-source income received from the date of emigration to December 31.

For example, say that you left money in a Canadian bank account and it earned interest. That income would be taxable for the entire year because it's Canadian-source income. But money you earned from a job in another country after the date of emigration is *not* taxable by Canada.

Be careful when calculating your non-refundable credits, because you may not be able to use the default amounts.

I'd suggest that you have at publication T4056, "Emigrants and Income Tax," which is available on the CRA site both in HTML and PDF form.

bobi123

Jul 24, 2014
Hello,
I will be obliged if you please help me out in this query.
I am planning to land in calgary as new immigrant in spetember 2014. I will open a bank account and deposite some amount. After two weeks, I will go to Republic of Congo ( no tax treaty exist) to start a job as expatriate. My company will pay income tax on my salary. This contract is 2 years. In these two years, i can go two calgary two times for 1 month only. After completion of contract, i will permanently stay in Calgary. My salary account is not canadian bank account. please help me in the following queries:-

1) If SIN card is issued to me, when should I have to file a tax return? after two years or from next year 2015 or 2016.

2) Do I have to pay tax in canda on this foreign income?

3) Do I have to declare this foreign amount, but not paying tax?

4) As I would be having bank account in calgary, Do I have to pay tax? Do I have to file tax and when?

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Hello bobi123,

I replied to your query in your original message.

Madan Chartered Accountant team
www.madanca.com

prace72

Aug 6, 2016
I have a question: I left canada on june 2016. I worked from january til june 2016. Do I have fill tax return next year if I don't live in canada anymore, but I am still canadian citizen? And can I do this online?