+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fiance lives in the US

Tensa

Oct 1, 2018
Hello I'm here to hopefully get an answer to my question which is, does my Fiance from the US require a visitors visa to marry me in Ontario? I am a bit confused and read about some countries being exempt from requiring a visitors visa to visit but i'm a bit confused if marriage changes this at all? Thank you in advance.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hello I'm here to hopefully get an answer to my question which is, does my Fiance from the US require a visitors visa to marry me in Ontario? I am a bit confused and read about some countries being exempt from requiring a visitors visa to visit but i'm a bit confused if marriage changes this at all? Thank you in advance.
It depends. If your fiance is a US citizen or PR holder, then no, he doesn't need a VISA to come to Canada to visit or get married, and if your fiance holds a passport from a VISA exempt country, then no, your fiance doesn't need a VISA to come to Canada to visit or get married. Otherwise, your fiance needs a VISA to come to Canada.

Tensa

Oct 1, 2018
It depends. If your fiance is a US citizen or PR holder, then no, he doesn't need a VISA to come to Canada to visit or get married, and if your fiance holds a passport from a VISA exempt country, then no, your fiance doesn't need a VISA to come to Canada to visit or get married. Otherwise, your fiance needs a VISA to come to Canada.
Okay so she is a US citizen and carries a passport, so she can just come on a trip for about a week or two and we can just get married at City Hall?

Tensa

Oct 1, 2018
No worries. Btw, Congrats, bro!
Thank you, we've been dating for about 5 years in a long distance relationship and I proposed to her last christmas. Hoping that this marriage will finally help her come here under a spouse sponsorship.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Thank you, we've been dating for about 5 years in a long distance relationship and I proposed to her last christmas. Hoping that this marriage will finally help her come here under a spouse sponsorship.
If you prepare your spousal sponsorship application thoroughly and you can provide enough backup evidences to show a stable and long relationship, you have nothing to worry about. For most applicants from US with clean criminal records, the case will be approved as fast as less than 6 months. The one thing you need to think about it is either you guys want to apply a outland application or inland application. Both options comes with its own benefits and shortcomings. With a outland application, your future wife can stay in the States and can come to visit you as a visitor for the entire process. With a inland application, your future wife has to come and stay in Canada through the entire process (a short visit outside Canada may be OK), but she can apply an open work permit to work in Canada.

Tensa

Oct 1, 2018
If you prepare your spousal sponsorship application thoroughly and you can provide enough backup evidences to show a stable and long relationship, you have nothing to worry about. For most applicants from US with clean criminal records, the case will be approved as fast as less than 6 months. The one thing you need to think about it is either you guys want to apply a outland application or inland application. Both options comes with its own benefits and shortcomings. With a outland application, your future wife can stay in the States and can come to visit you as a visitor for the entire process. With a inland application, your future wife has to come and stay in Canada through the entire process (a short visit outside Canada may be OK), but she can apply an open work permit to work in Canada.
Wow that sounds really good to me, we may or may not stick with outland just for now so she can continue just working in the US and having some income for when she moves here. In terms of the sponsorship, do you know what the minimum wage needed to make yearly to be approved as a sponsor is? I have been working full time and been keeping all of my pay stubs to have some proof if needed.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Wow that sounds really good to me, we may or may not stick with outland just for now so she can continue just working in the US and having some income for when she moves here. In terms of the sponsorship, do you know what the minimum wage needed to make yearly to be approved as a sponsor is? I have been working full time and been keeping all of my pay stubs to have some proof if needed.
There is no minimum wage required to sponsor a spouse. You will be required to submit an NOA or Option C.

Reactions: Miraclejj