+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Few questions on outland application for spousal sponsorship

ThadJarvis

Aug 23, 2013
Hi folks,

Going on some of the helpful responses on this forum, I have been guided towards an Outland application as my visa office (SYD) has a shorter queue than inside (around 6 months average.)

I have been steadily preparing my paperwork and have got to the point where I have a few questions again. What a fun process!

- I understand outland applications first go to Mississauga, ON. I am in Canada currently so I will just mail it there. The question is, how do I indicate that it is an outland application and not an inside Canada application? I have not seen anywhere to indicate this on the forms I'm populating.
- What are the must-haves for maximizing chance of avoiding in-person interview?
- For relationship proof, do I need to include stat decs? If so, is there a template for what they should say?
- What pieces of evidence need to be certified and which don't? Do any need to be certified?
- I'm guessing the panel physician up-front is a must? Do I need this for my sponsor as well, or just me?
- On my IMM008, if I am applying to be sponsored by my common-law sponsor with 0 dependents, what do I answer to the question "how many people are in this application" or "how many people are in your family?"

Sorry for the mixed bag of questions but I did not want to create a separate topic for each! I have tried to search in many cases and have answered some questions but could not find specific to these.

Thank you

Cheers

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
ThadJarvis said:
Hi folks,

Going on some of the helpful responses on this forum, I have been guided towards an Outland application as my visa office (SYD) has a shorter queue than inside (around 6 months average.)

I have been steadily preparing my paperwork and have got to the point where I have a few questions again. What a fun process!

- I understand outland applications first go to Mississauga, ON. I am in Canada currently so I will just mail it there. The question is, how do I indicate that it is an outland application and not an inside Canada application? I have not seen anywhere to indicate this on the forms I'm populating.
- What are the must-haves for maximizing chance of avoiding in-person interview?
- For relationship proof, do I need to include stat decs? If so, is there a template for what they should say?
- What pieces of evidence need to be certified and which don't? Do any need to be certified?
- I'm guessing the panel physician up-front is a must? Do I need this for my sponsor as well, or just me?
- On my IMM008, if I am applying to be sponsored by my common-law sponsor with 0 dependents, what do I answer to the question "how many people are in this application" or "how many people are in your family?"

Sorry for the mixed bag of questions but I did not want to create a separate topic for each! I have tried to search in many cases and have answered some questions but could not find specific to these.

Thank you

Cheers
1) Make sure your forms are from this page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp and that you have the relevant checklist IMM 3906 in your case, for your country. All forms get mailed here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/mississauga.asp the top option (not the living in Canada option). I also put outland application in bold letters on my document package.

2) Pictures, filling out the additional information parts clearly and accurately, include all documents, chat logs, tickets etc. It's all on the checklist.

3) Not sure what you mean by stat deck, is that related to Hearthstone? j/k. Edit: Ok I get it, statutory declaration of common-law union. This is a good thing to have if you are applying as common-law, along with signed and notarized letters from family that know your relationship is genuine. The more the better I say.

4) Upfront is not a must do, but in my mind it's better to get it done and out of the way to avoid delaying your application when they request it. Only you (the applicant) and any dependent you might sponsor in the future need it (like children).

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
ThadJarvis said:
The application to sponsor is the same, but the application for permanent residence is different. The mailing addresses are also different, one goes to box A and one to box B or somesuch.

Still, some applicants (myself included) have accidentally had an outland application initially classified as inland. If this happens, then Mississauga can correct it when notified.

It depends greatly on the application itself and upon the source countries. You are applying from Sydney, so the principal applicant is Australian? That helps, since one factor for increased scrutiny is whether there is an "economic" demand for immigration fraud, and generally Australians and Canadians have the same broad quality of life.

Aside from that, interviews are called for when there are questions of criminality or whether the relationship is sincere/genuine.

Are you applying in a common-law class? If so, a statutory declaration of common law union (pdf) would be advisable. It is not necessarily required, but a number of applicants have been asked for one so it cannot hurt to include it.

If you are applying common-law, you need to provide affirmative evidence of cohabitation in a "marriage-like" relationship, for a duration of 12 months or more. This involves evidence that your and your partner's affairs are intermingled, that you've met each others' families, and overall that you're an "ordinary" couple.

If you are applying under spousal sponsorship, then the 12 months cohabitation is not necessary (but the marriage documentation is.) CIC will still care that the marriage is sincere and not simply arranged for immigration purposes, so a broad outline of the relationship's development would be appropriate.

See the country-specific guide for the nation of citizenship. Certification is necessary mostly for translated documents.

It's a very good idea, especially if the applicant is from a visa-exempt country. Medicals last for 12 months anyway, so if the processing time is 6 months then there's no reason at all to wait. For applicants from a visa-exempt country, if the process is smooth then the applicant will often hear nothing between sponsor approval and receiving the COPR in the mail.

The sponsor does not need to undergo a medical exam.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You must be certain that you're using the Outland guide/forms, as they differ slightly from the Inland ones.

Outland:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

To answer a few of your questions:

Common-Law applicants require at least two letters which must be notarized (Statutory Declarations).

Only you, the applicant, needs the medical and it is suggested that it be done before you submit your application.

Just follow the document checklist and you should be fine.

Good luck!

ThadJarvis

Aug 23, 2013
Thank you all for the quick response!

I am going to summarize what I have learnt below, please correct me or expand if you see anything amiss.

This is a great forum.

Think I'm clear on this. Use the 3906 checklist and make sure I outline OUTLAND APPLICATION on the package. There was a comment about them going to separate addresses...I simply send the whole package to the Mississauga address though, right? Am I missing anything else on this?

So basically be thorough and get a common-law union stat dec done. Thanks!

So 2 is the minimum. Are parents of either the sponsor or applicant acceptable? I would think these would carry significant weight since it demonstrates a genuine relationship. I ask because our parents would get this done quickly as opposed to imposing on friends etc.!

So mainly for translated stuff then. Does anything else need to be certified? Passport documentation, birth certificate...anything like that? Or am I good to just send in copies?

Thanks for the answers here. I will book it in for myself (main applicant) and not for my sponsor (Canadian.)

Don't think I got an answer on this..input appreciated!

Thanks again

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
ThadJarvis said:
Thank you all for the quick response!

I am going to summarize what I have learnt below, please correct me or expand if you see anything amiss.

This is a great forum.
Think I'm clear on this. Use the 3906 checklist and make sure I outline OUTLAND APPLICATION on the package. There was a comment about them going to separate addresses...I simply send the whole package to the Mississauga address though, right? Am I missing anything else on this?
So 2 is the minimum. Are parents of either the sponsor or applicant acceptable? I would think these would carry significant weight since it demonstrates a genuine relationship. I ask because our parents would get this done quickly as opposed to imposing on friends etc.!

So mainly for translated stuff then. Does anything else need to be certified? Passport documentation, birth certificate...anything like that? Or am I good to just send in copies?
Thanks for the answers here. I will book it in for myself (main applicant) and not for my sponsor (Canadian.)

Don't think I got an answer on this..input appreciated!

Thanks again
Unless it asks specifically for the original, a photocopy is fine, no need for certification. We had nothing certified for our application.

We had members of both families complete the stat dec, 3 in total.

IMM008 I put 1 for this, as my common law partner is my sponsor. I assume this is correct, if not please correct me I'm yet to send in my forms haha :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ThadJarvis said:

As the others have stated, make sure to use the outland application package. Inland and outland applications are different, with some different forms and documents. The addresses they are sent to in Mississauga are also different.

There is no need for a Stat Dec of Common-law. It is not required and not commonly requested. You have pretty much no chance of being called for an interview unless you have some massive red flags that you haven't stated on here.

Stat Decs from parents are perfectly fine.

puppyeyes

May 2, 2015
Hello everyone. We are quite confused on where to send our Outland Spousal Sponsorship Application.
Here are the choices:

CASE PROCESSING CENTRE - MISSISSAUGA
CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION CANADA
2 ROBERT SPECK PARKWAY SUITE 300 MISSISSAUGA,
ON L4Z 1H8

or

CPC Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A Mississauga,
ON L5A 4N6

What are the difference between the 2 address? Hoping someone can address my concern. Thank you.

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
puppyeyes said:
Hello everyone. We are quite confused on where to send our Outland Spousal Sponsorship Application.
Here are the choices:

CASE PROCESSING CENTRE - MISSISSAUGA
CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION CANADA
2 ROBERT SPECK PARKWAY SUITE 300 MISSISSAUGA,
ON L4Z 1H8

or

CPC Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A Mississauga,
ON L5A 4N6

What are the difference between the 2 address? Hoping someone can address my concern. Thank you.
I'm not sure where the first one is from, but the Spousal Sponsorship Guide instructs you to send it to the second one.

Beaverdiva

Aug 5, 2013
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
AOR 26/08/2015. SA 28/09/2015. In Process on eCAS - 6/10/2015
File Transfer...
29/09/2015
Med's Request
UPFRONT. Medical Results Received 14/10/15
Med's Done....
06/07/2015
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made 09/12/2015, COPR arrived 15/1/16 deadline to land 7/7/16
LANDED..........
7-06-2016
Robert Speck Parkway address is if you're sending your application via COURIER.

PO box 3000 address is if you're using regular mailing services, such as Canada Post.

Hope that helps

tannguyen

Jul 21, 2015
HI guys,
Im new to this forum and don't really know how to post a new topic so I decided to post a reply here hopefully someone can help me with my questions!
My girlfriend and I have been living together for 4 years. I got my PR status in Canada recently. Unfortunately my girlfriend has been overstaying for 4 years. We are planning to go back to our home country and to get married there. My girlfriend will stay back home and I will then come back to Canada and submit my sponsorship application. I am planning not to lie in the application. I will make it clear that my girlfriend has overstayed for 4 years and will provided all evidences that we had been living together during that period of time. I will have the marriage certificate and all photos available and will submit with my application.
Question is: How will likely my application be refused due to my girlfriend's overstay?
Thank you so much everyone!!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
tannguyen said:
HI guys,
Im new to this forum and don't really know how to post a new topic so I decided to post a reply here hopefully someone can help me with my questions!
My girlfriend and I have been living together for 4 years. I got my PR status in Canada recently. Unfortunately my girlfriend has been overstaying for 4 years. We are planning to go back to our home country and to get married there. My girlfriend will stay back home and I will then come back to Canada and submit my sponsorship application. I am planning not to lie in the application. I will make it clear that my girlfriend has overstayed for 4 years and will provided all evidences that we had been living together during that period of time. I will have the marriage certificate and all photos available and will submit with my application.
Question is: How will likely my application be refused due to my girlfriend's overstay?
Thank you so much everyone!!!!
As long as you have evidence to show your relationship is genuine and are honest about her immigration history in Canada - your application should be approved. You may experience longer processing times and she may have to attend an interview due to her overstay.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
tannguyen said:
My girlfriend and I have been living together for 4 years. I got my PR status in Canada recently.
If you have been living together for 4 years, you were common-law when you applied for PR. She should have been declared in your PR app and become a PR at the same time as you. I'm guessing you didn't include her because of the overstay. If that's the case, then she is forever excluded from the Family Class and you cannot sponsor her.

tannguyen

Jul 21, 2015
I have never been asked if I have a common law partner or not. All I was asked was:

Have you married or divorced?

· Have you given birth or adopted a child?

· Do you intend to get married or divorced prior to becoming a permanent resident?

· Do you intend to give birth or adopt a child prior to becoming a permanent resident?

· Have you or your family members been charged or convicted of a criminal offence?

· Have you changed your contact information: e-mail address/mailing address/telephone number?
So I thought including my girlfriend in my PR application would not be a good idea for both of us. What do you think?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tannguyen said:
I have never been asked if I have a common law partner or not. All I was asked was:

So I thought including my girlfriend in my PR application would not be a good idea for both of us. What do you think?
Too late. As canuck_in_uk has mentioned, you can never sponsor her...even if you get married.