+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

February 2020 Spousal sponsorship Outland

NK^2

Star Member
Feb 24, 2020
A very few lucky ones are, and they’re simple applications via Mississauga. This is not the norm.

Most receive it in 6-12 months. They are the majority of cases and the most realistic expectation.
I’ve been trying to figure out if there is any criteria that determines what goes to Mississauga and what goes to say New Delhi. But looking at 2019 stats it looks random

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
I’ve been trying to figure out if there is any criteria that determines what goes to Mississauga and what goes to say New Delhi. But looking at 2019 stats it looks random
I can only give my own experience, but I have noticed the trend tends to be cases that can be easily processed. I’ve mentioned my own previous history before in a effort to help others understand. My husband was the PA. Our application from the day it was sent to COPR was 109 days and processed in Mississauga. No dependents, no criminal histories, no visa refusals, clean travel histories. First and only sponsorship on sponser’s side, first and only marriage/common law partner on both sides, couple for eight years, PA from visa exempt English speaking country, no interview, no country specific requirements, and not once ever asked for additional documents at any point in processing.

A lot of cases I’ve seen that went to Mississauga and were processed quickly have been similar to my own.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I can only give my own experience, but I have noticed the trend tends to be cases that can be easily processed. I’ve mentioned my own previous history before in a effort to help others understand. My husband was the PA. Our application from the day it was sent to COPR was 109 days and processed in Mississauga. No dependents, no criminal histories, no visa refusals, clean travel histories. First and only sponsorship on sponser’s side, first and only marriage/common law partner on both sides, couple for eight years, PA from visa exempt English speaking country, no interview, no country specific requirements, and not once ever asked for additional documents at any point in processing.

A lot of cases I’ve seen that went to Mississauga and were processed quickly have been similar to my own.
Although there are possibly occasionally other reasons to send to country offices, the simple truth is that visa offices abroad are more expensive than those in Canada. Therefore it makes quite a bit of sense that wherever possible, they process those in Canada that do not require any 'local knowledge' or other resources in the region. (Note I'm referring to outland applicaitons, I'm just not following the inland ones much). Mind, it's also possible they do some shifting around between offices for resource reasons (which offices are more busy etc or for testing reasons or whatever).

One thing I'd caution to add though is that 'being sent to Mississauga' is not determinative that files will be processed quickly. There are occasional cases that are sent there to begin with and later sent to a country office. Some in M may go slowly, and some sent to country offices may go (relatively) quickly, too.

The other thing is we see comments here often that someone was 'lucky' to have their file sent to Mississauga. But it's not a random process. If a file is sent to mississauga and they don't have the resources to deal with complex cases, it likely won't be any faster.

And of course, what seems to be complex to applicants is not the same to visa officers at the other end.

walxaf

Feb 25, 2020
Hello , I have applied by myself. without any agent etc. My medical is done and passed already. Awaiting further news from IRCC.

AutumnSkies

May 31, 2019
Although there are possibly occasionally other reasons to send to country offices, the simple truth is that visa offices abroad are more expensive than those in Canada. Therefore it makes quite a bit of sense that wherever possible, they process those in Canada that do not require any 'local knowledge' or other resources in the region. (Note I'm referring to outland applicaitons, I'm just not following the inland ones much). Mind, it's also possible they do some shifting around between offices for resource reasons (which offices are more busy etc or for testing reasons or whatever).

One thing I'd caution to add though is that 'being sent to Mississauga' is not determinative that files will be processed quickly. There are occasional cases that are sent there to begin with and later sent to a country office. Some in M may go slowly, and some sent to country offices may go (relatively) quickly, too.

The other thing is we see comments here often that someone was 'lucky' to have their file sent to Mississauga. But it's not a random process. If a file is sent to mississauga and they don't have the resources to deal with complex cases, it likely won't be any faster.

And of course, what seems to be complex to applicants is not the same to visa officers at the other end.
Exactly, I often stress that as well. Just because it’s sent to Mississauga doesn’t necessarily mean it will be processed quickly, and sometimes they are initially sent there and then sent off to other Visa offices. I also think it does have to do with resources, as well. I know in my case there also weren’t any ‘cultural norms ‘ to consider either, plus the PA didn’t live anywhere other than his home country and Canada. Less work to dig up info for past history and no needing multiple police checks as well. Plus in our case it’s relatively easy for them to collect information from New Zealand. Like you said, there have been cases of fast processing times at other offices as well. Mississauga isn’t necessarily the ‘golden ticket.’

Reactions: armoured

Jamal A.

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Hey guys, I was trying to link my application ( like every day) and finally it was linked!! but I did not see the AOR 1 date , I wanted to update the spreadsheet that is why I am asking

srinipunna

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
Hi guys.. My package got delivered today. Do I have to wait for AOR1 to link my application online? Please advise! Thank you!!

Jamal A.

Star Member
Jan 13, 2019
Hi guys.. My package got delivered today. Do I have to wait for AOR1 to link my application online? Please advise! Thank you!!
you need to wait at least 8-10 days to try to link your application online, if you checked the spreadsheet some people received AOR in 8 days some after. In most cases yes you should wait the AOR1 to be able to link it , but in some cases like mine I was able to link it without receiving it but I think I will receive it soon tomorrow or by the end of the day . so if after 8- 10 days you did not receive the AOR try to link your application

Stargaze

Star Member
Feb 12, 2020
Hey guys, I was trying to link my application ( like every day) and finally it was linked!! but I did not see the AOR 1 date , I wanted to update the spreadsheet that is why I am asking
The AOr1 date is when you received the email.. you will not see any details yet when you just linked your application

Reactions: Jamal A.

Stargaze

Star Member
Feb 12, 2020

It depends. That was just our thoughts but we don’t know what they are thinking or what are their proper procedures regarding in our applications.If yours was 109 days, i know someone who processed their application in just 38days. Received application to COPR. that was a spousal outland application.. so it means it depends and it means there are applicants that are faster than your application.principal applicant with accompanying 3children, many travel history, 10 years of marriage, clean criminal records, never asked addtl docs, no interview, 2 US visa refusal, and she applied in canada for us visa, she was approved. Just saying it depends and not processed in Mississauga.

NehaB Canada

Jan 7, 2020
A very few lucky ones are, and they’re simple applications via Mississauga. This is not the norm.

Most receive it in 6-12 months. They are the majority of cases and the most realistic expectation.
I know that not all get it within 3-4 months. It all depends case to case. But if you have provided all the evidences with clear records and background and stay positive, it might get processed faster as well. I feel like it's best to stay positive with our thoughts and imagination. :) If it happens faster, that's great, if it takes little longer, that's great too. I am not worried about the process at all. I will be flying to my Spouse's place and live with him until he gets his PR.