+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FEBRUARY 2020 - Spousal Sponsorship for DACA recipient

TheHzM

Feb 10, 2020
Hi everyone,

I recently got married in Florida, roughly a month back. I am a Canadian citizen with 0 criminal record. My wife is of Bangladeshi origin and she happens to be a DACA recipient. She has work and residency permits and goes to University. She has 0 criminal background.

I only recently discovered this forum but I was hoping if folks could help me in answering the following:.

1) Can I sponsor my wife while I am not working full-time? I have recently been made aware that my contract came up for the organization I worked for last month and I intend on applying for EI. We live in a joint household (I.e me and my immediate family) in a rather large place of many bedrooms so the idea was to have my wife live with us for the first few years (and BCs housing crisis sucks). Provided that her basic amenities can still be covered, am I still required to have a full-time job at the time of the application?

2) I have heard that a 10 year ban back to the US goes into effect for all DACA recipients upon entry. Information online seemed scarce and the lawyers I spoke to leading up to our marriage said nothing of the sort. A) is the 10 year ban true and b) can obtaining a citizenship be worked around for my wife so that she only need wait 3 years?

3) given that my wife has a Bangladeshi passport, would she be required to go to the Bangladeshi consulate via Bangladesh at any point during the application process?

4) Is there any other hurdles to be mindful of when applying for a spousal sponsorship for a DACA recipient?

Hope that all made sense. I am appreciative of any and all comments that can be of help, as I'm fairly new to this.

5) what is the difference between an Inland and Outland sponsorship? What would apply in my circumstance?
Thank you :)

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
1. You can sponsor while on EI. You cannot sponsor while on welfare. EI is not welfare, it’s just insurance that you paid for.

2. Her status in the US or any bans will not affect her Canadian process. Simply be honest in your application.

3. depending on the time she spent in Bangladesh and her age at that time (18+), she may need a police certificate from Bangladesh. This may require her to visit the embassy. That’s about the only reason why she may have to.

4. Her lack of status isn’t a big deal if it’s declared on the application. Do not lie at any point. Other than that, you will need to prove that your marriage is real and not just done to get her citizenship. You’ll have to provide proof of your relationship - showing how it developed over time,etc.
5. Yours is an Outland since your wife is not in Canada. If she was already here (as a visitor, say) you could choose inland or Outland.