+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FEBRUARY 2019 *OUTLAND* SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP

Jaybee43

Feb 28, 2019
Ah ok. I'm under the impression that he won't be sending his passport in because he's from a visa-exempt country and those nationals only need to send a photo of the information page in. Hopefully, since he just renewed his passport (at CIC request) last month and uploaded the new copy of that they will just use that.
That makes sense so guess in your case theyll mail the copr

vaudsama

Feb 23, 2019
@vaudsama

In our case the PA has the GCKey account and it still shows that it is in progress. I, the sponsor, have the eCAS account that is showing "Decision Made".

We are also the London Visa Office.

We had an email from LVO earlier this month to confirm they had updated my address and it also said "We will be in further contact once a review of your file has been completed. We anticipate this will be before the end of November."

I wasn't really confident that they actually meant our application would be complete by the end of the month but maybe it will be!
My husband and I came to Canada mid October and my husband was given a 6 month visitors visa under dual intent, so we had to update our address too. We received an email saying that ours was updated a few weeks back, but it didn't say anything about the end of November! I'm sincerely hoping that this is all done soon! Our address has been updated properly. It's a shame they flubbed yours up!

Reactions: Lee&Stacey

dmurrman

Dec 5, 2018
My PA came in august under dual intent, I called and changed her address to our place here in canada. We didn't get any confirmation email or what have you, were we supposed to? I'm always spooked they'll mail something to our old home in the UK

vaudsama

Feb 23, 2019
My PA came in august under dual intent, I called and changed her address to our place here in canada. We didn't get any confirmation email or what have you, were we supposed to? I'm always spooked they'll mail something to our old home in the UK
I'm not 100% sure about the protocols. What I have learned about this process is that there is no set way things are done. Have you checked online to see if it has changed over yet?

Reactions: dmurrman

Anaw2019

Nov 18, 2019
Hi everyone,

I came across this thread and looks like I could use some help too. I am going to start the application for my husband residing in US, but I have few questions before I dive in,

1) If I (Cdn spouse) is residing outside Canada in US, since that's where my spouse lives. Can I still sponsor him for Cdn PR from.US?

2) while the application is submitted, can he get this so called Open Work permit, if so, how? Do you really need an offer letter from a Canadian employer to do that?

3) Does my husband need to get biometrics, medical and criminal check all that done in US or he can do all that while in Canada (assuming if I end up having to reside in Canada for the application process)? (since medical could costs an arm and a leg in US)

4) what happens if my husband sponsors me for green card in US but then we decide to move to Canada? (P.s. I have family in Canada and he has always lived in US and doesn't want to move until he finds a well paid job in Canada. ) My concern is what happens if we start the 2 applications in a matter of 3 to 5 months, (since I really want him to get the Cdn PR and move here) Can this be harmful?

Thank you so much

I have gathered up the forms but trying to convince him still

Last edited:

patvicto

Champion Member
Mar 18, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
2019-02-19
Doc's Request.
2020-02-14
AOR Received.
2019-03-26
File Transfer...
2019-10-25
Med's Request
2019-03-30
Med's Done....
2019-04-23
Passport Req..
2020-10-01
VISA ISSUED...
2020-10-14
Hi everyone,

I came across this thread and looks like I could use some help too. I am going to start the application for my husband residing in US, but I have few questions before I dive in,

1) If I (Cdn spouse) is residing outside Canada in US, since that's where my spouse lives. Can I still sponsor him for Cdn PR from.US?

2) while the application is submitted, can he get this so called Open Work permit, if so, how? Do you really need an offer letter from a Canadian employer to do that?

3) Does my husband need to get biometrics, medical and criminal check all that done in US or he can do all that while in Canada (assuming if I end up having to reside in Canada for the application process)? (since medical could costs an arm and a leg in US)

4) what happens if my husband sponsors me for green card in US but then we decide to move to Canada? (P.s. I have family in Canada and he has always lived in US and doesn't want to move until he finds a well paid job in Canada. ) My concern is what happens if we start the 2 applications in a matter of 3 to 5 months, (since I really want him to get the Cdn PR and move here) Can this be harmful?

Thank you so much

Sponsorship is about intentions ... if his intention is to stay in US and putting conditions to it (finding a good paid job blabla)... asking for a PR here sounds a bit special. Canada will want to know if you guys are ready to live here and wants before even starting a process checking which is a bit normal. If you guys are already in a process that is some kind of permanence into US and then you are asking to change country.. i don't know how it will be seen.

Usually the sponsor need to live in Canada (at least 6 months / year as far as i know) and proving having ties to Canada to be able to sponsor. If you , the sponsor is most like out of your country like that, will take really high proofs as to tell them an address , a house a place where your family will stay and all. Yes you can sponsor husband to Canada if you are in US but if you are most likely "living there". They will want to know which province you are applying to , guarantee of you guys returning and so on.

If i was you i would contact IRCC and explaining your case, they would be able to guide and tell you if that's possible or not and how it can be done if so.

Last edited:

Lee&Stacey

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
I would check eCAS and log in using both the sponsor's and the applicant's information to show the information is correct. There is a section for home address and another for mailing address.
This is the only place we've found that shows our addresses.

Lee&Stacey

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much

1) Yes, you can apply for PR for your spouse while you, the Canadian, are living outside of Canada. That is how our application started. We applied in February and I lived in Texas but I knew I was moving back to Canada in the summer (which I did). If you are living outside of Canada you have to provide proof that you intend to live in Canada when the application is approved. We did this by sending examples of where we were talking to real estate agents about rental properties we're going to buy for income, letter from my parents that we could live with them until we found our own home, proof that my house in Texas had been put on the market to be sold, etc. I also provided them with information about why I couldn't move back to Canada any sooner than the summer and a timeline of when I would be back to Canada.

2) I believe you can only get the work permit for your husband if he applies as an "inland" applicant which means he's already in Canada, but you may want to check on that. We applied for my husband as an "outland" applicant, because he's living in the UK while we wait, and he can't work until he gets approved for PR and immigrates.

3) I *think* it's either the biometrics or medical (or both) that have to be done outside Canada. You would need to check around on that some more to confirm. The medical is likely going to cost a lot regardless (it was £330 for my husband to have it done in the UK). It isn't a part of any health care services and you can only go to a physician that is on their list. I doubt it would be covered by any insurance in the US either.

4) I agree with @patvicto that it could complicate things if you are applying to two countries for residence. At the very least, it could cause delays which will just extend the time one or the other of you isn't in your intended country.

I would recommend if you are looking at possibly applying in both countries, that you speak to an immigration lawyer for each country and get their advice.

Reactions: Anaw2019

Lee&Stacey

Star Member
Mar 15, 2019
Ohhh I only see our home address on ecas, but I'm on mobile so it's probably not showing me everything
Not necessarily. I would double-check on desktop too but only seeing the home address could be an indication they don't have it correct.

I called in to change my address in June and they changed it. I checked eCAS and my "home address" showed it correctly in Canada. I didn't notice at the time but the "Mailing Address" section wasn't showing at all.

Then in October they sent me an email with a PDF of a letter attached. It showed a mailing address on it and it was my OLD address in Texas.

I then sent in a message on the webform that something wasn't right because that letter was showing the Texas address. When they sent me an email several weeks later to confirm they'd changed my address I checked on eCAS again and then I could see both a "home address" and a "mailing address" and they now both show Canada.

Ideally, I think you want there to be a "home address" and a "mailing address" section showing on eCAS and for them to match.

Anaw2019

Nov 18, 2019
Sponsorship is about intentions ... if his intention is to stay in US and putting conditions to it (finding a good paid job blabla)... asking for a PR here sounds a bit special. Canada will want to know if you guys are ready to live here and wants before even starting a process checking which is a bit normal. If you guys are already in a process that is some kind of permanence into US and then you are asking to change country.. i don't know how it will be seen.

Usually the sponsor need to live in Canada (at least 6 months / year as far as i know) and proving having ties to Canada to be able to sponsor. If you , the sponsor is most like out of your country like that, will take really high proofs as to tell them an address , a house a place where your family will stay and all. Yes you can sponsor husband to Canada if you are in US but if you are most likely "living there". They will want to know which province you are applying to , guarantee of you guys returning and so on.

If i was you i would contact IRCC and explaining your case, they would be able to guide and tell you if that's possible or not and how it can be done if so.

Hi,

Thanks for your input. However, I have not mentioned anywhere that I won't be living in Canada at all, I am still in Canada and I only visit my spouse in US for couple weeks. Hence, I was curious to find out what happens if I start the application within Canada vs outside of it as a Sponsor.

I have my entire family and a line of relatives and generations living in Canada, which is one of the reasons why I want my spouse to relocate. I am the Sponsor in this case and my permanent address is in Canada as I live with my family.

But I had certain questions before I can start the spousal sponsorship process for my partner. Your response seems rather inquisitive to my intentions of living in Canada and wasn't very helpful at all.

I read other peoples scenarios and there are a handful that has applied for the spouse or partner while living outside of Canada, and with them. I wish I had those members respond to my thread. As they seem to be in the same boat as me, now or before.

Cheers mate

Anaw2019

Nov 18, 2019
1) Yes, you can apply for PR for your spouse while you, the Canadian, are living outside of Canada. That is how our application started. We applied in February and I lived in Texas but I knew I was moving back to Canada in the summer (which I did). If you are living outside of Canada you have to provide proof that you intend to live in Canada when the application is approved. We did this by sending examples of where we were talking to real estate agents about rental properties we're going to buy for income, letter from my parents that we could live with them until we found our own home, proof that my house in Texas had been put on the market to be sold, etc. I also provided them with information about why I couldn't move back to Canada any sooner than the summer and a timeline of when I would be back to Canada.

2) I believe you can only get the work permit for your husband if he applies as an "inland" applicant which means he's already in Canada, but you may want to check on that. We applied for my husband as an "outland" applicant, because he's living in the UK while we wait, and he can't work until he gets approved for PR and immigrates.

3) I *think* it's either the biometrics or medical (or both) that have to be done outside Canada. You would need to check around on that some more to confirm. The medical is likely going to cost a lot regardless (it was £330 for my husband to have it done in the UK). It isn't a part of any health care services and you can only go to a physician that is on their list. I doubt it would be covered by any insurance in the US either.

4) I agree with @patvicto that it could complicate things if you are applying to two countries for residence. At the very least, it could cause delays which will just extend the time one or the other of you isn't in your intended country.

I would recommend if you are looking at possibly applying in both countries, that you speak to an immigration lawyer for each country and get their advice.

Thank you, Stacey. Really appreciate your thorough response. I can't and don't plan on living in US as my family is in Canada and my husband has no family ties fording him to stay in US, except his job. Which is why he is trying to look into getting a work permit and finding jobs in Canada.

patvicto

Champion Member
Mar 18, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
2019-02-19
Doc's Request.
2020-02-14
AOR Received.
2019-03-26
File Transfer...
2019-10-25
Med's Request
2019-03-30
Med's Done....
2019-04-23
Passport Req..
2020-10-01
VISA ISSUED...
2020-10-14
Hi,

Thanks for your input. However, I have not mentioned anywhere that I won't be living in Canada at all, I am still in Canada and I only visit my spouse in US for couple weeks. Hence, I was curious to find out what happens if I start the application within Canada vs outside of it as a Sponsor.

I have my entire family and a line of relatives and generations living in Canada, which is one of the reasons why I want my spouse to relocate. I am the Sponsor in this case and my permanent address is in Canada as I live with my family.

But I had certain questions before I can start the spousal sponsorship process for my partner. Your response seems rather inquisitive to my intentions of living in Canada and wasn't very helpful at all.

I read other peoples scenarios and there are a handful that has applied for the spouse or partner while living outside of Canada, and with them. I wish I had those members respond to my thread. As they seem to be in the same boat as me, now or before.

Cheers mate
Sorry but you were the one saying your husband is hesitant to come live here and so on.

I've just tried to tell you based on those facts that :

1) for officer is a warning flag.

2) Trying to get 2 countries of residence is also a flag
//
Quoted

Def can delay your process. Best of luck for your project,. But yes a Lawyer seems the best to give advice in those tricky situations

dmurrman

Dec 5, 2018
Not necessarily. I would double-check on desktop too but only seeing the home address could be an indication they don't have it correct.

I called in to change my address in June and they changed it. I checked eCAS and my "home address" showed it correctly in Canada. I didn't notice at the time but the "Mailing Address" section wasn't showing at all.

Then in October they sent me an email with a PDF of a letter attached. It showed a mailing address on it and it was my OLD address in Texas.

I then sent in a message on the webform that something wasn't right because that letter was showing the Texas address. When they sent me an email several weeks later to confirm they'd changed my address I checked on eCAS again and then I could see both a "home address" and a "mailing address" and they now both show Canada.

Ideally, I think you want there to be a "home address" and a "mailing address" section showing on eCAS and for them to match.
Thanks a bunch. I checked ecas on my computer and it says it doesn't have a mailing address on file, I updated it on the ecas page. Says it takes 15 days to update, hopefully they won't be mailing stuff in that time