+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

February 2019 Citizenship Applicants

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
We have our oath tomorrow. My wife wants to put in a name change with the province.
The problem with doing it now is that after she changes her name, she will need to apply for a new Citizenship Certificate with her new name and then go apply for a new passport.

This time and expense can be avoided if you do the name change now, well in advance of the completion of the citizenship application. When completed, just submit it to IRCC. By the time you're finished with the citizenship application, you'll receive the Citizenship Certificate in the new name and you can apply for the passport with the new name.

I wish we had completed the name change earlier with this timing.
As far as i have read and saw ppl who did this and also confirmed from passport canada, u do not need to get a new citizenship certificate. Just update ur provincial IDs like driving licensw and health card with new name and when u visit passport canada ask for passport to be issued in new name showing updated ID's

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
As far as i have read and saw ppl who did this and also confirmed from passport canada, u do not need to get a new citizenship certificate. Just update ur provincial IDs like driving licensw and health card with new name and when u visit passport canada ask for passport to be issued in new name showing updated ID's
Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I had heard the opposite.
I had also been informed that it takes 5 to 6 months to get a new certificate in the new name.
I am going to the passport office in a few days to apply and I will post what they tell me there.

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
I had also been informed that it takes 5 to 6 months to get a new certificate in the new name.
I am going to the passport office in a few days to apply and I will post what they tell me there.
Yes please do it will be quite helpful for others in similar situation

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html

Consult the link if the name change is bcz of change in relationship status you do not need to get a new citizenship certificate.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html

Consult the link if the name change is bcz of change in relationship status you do not need to get a new citizenship certificate.
In our case, my wife is changing to an English given name and my last name (by marriage). Since our marriage certificate does not bear my last name, I presume a legal name change is the only way she can change her last name. The link you posted seems to indicate that in my wife's case, she will require a legal name change and apply for a new Citizenship Certificate.

Pity she can't also apply for a more recent birth year. She would like to shave 20 years off her age. ha ha.

Reactions: Zmaqsood

rajkalra007

Apr 10, 2017
Please add me to the Feb Spreadsheet....

ID: rajkalra007
Add Type: Family (2)
Physical Presence Days: 1605
App sent: 02/06/2019

Reactions: nilyam

Mido1978

Star Member
Jul 8, 2014
The spreadsheet was created by @CaCitizenship. It'd be nice if one of you could maintain the data entry for February 2019 sheet. If you want to volunteer, please send an email to CACitizenship@gmail.com to get access to the sheet.

To view the spreadsheet, follow the link below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/3/d/1V2kMI1QtzlMj8k4shG0IBLnS8GqOhoJDkem5HloNe0I/edit#gid=1316748968
I volunteered and send email to @CaCitizenship to add me as editor to excel sheet and update all applicants within Feb 2019

pillow

Star Member
Apr 18, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Doc's Request.
14-03-2016
Nomination.....
30-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
24-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
09-06-2016
LANDED..........
19-06-2016
I volunteered and send email to @CaCitizenship to add me as editor to excel sheet and update all applicants within Feb 2019
Great! I added the record up to post#36 (rajkalra007) and some Feb records that were reported in the January thread. I'll leave the Feb group to you from here. Cheers.

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Wow. What a day we had. Today my wife and I took our citizenship oath this morning in Vancouver on Expo Blvd. It was a beautiful ceremony. We took the oath twice, once in English and again in French. As this is Black History Month, we heard a wonderful address from a prominent BC civil rights attorney from Somalia. Everything went smoothly as planned today, although there were a few minor deviations that occured. Nothing adverse or serious but thought I would mention them.

First, at the ceremony, we checked in. We arrived with all the documents requested in our oath invitation notice:
  • this notice;
  • 2 pieces of personal identification, one of which has your photograph and signature on it; (e.g. driver's license, health card, Permanent Resident Card); Note: minors are not required to show identification with a signature.
  • All of the original documents in your possession – Immigration Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM5688);
  • Permanent Resident Card (if you have a landing document and a Permanent Resident Card, you must bring both of them);
  • All original passports and travel documents in your possession (current and expired);
  • (optional) a holy book, of your choice, if you wish to use one to swear the Oath of Citizenship;
  • a signed copy of the Permission Release and Consent form (included with this notice).
It turned out that they did not ask for our foreign passports or COPR document. They only asked for our PR cards and Driver License. (I will miss those PR cards. They served us well =o) )

We asked about legal name changes and we were informed that, yes, we would be required to apply for a new Citizenship Certificate if we apply for a legal name change with the province. They suggested it is easier/cheaper to do a legal name change before reaching the Decision Made point in the citizenship application process. Once the name change certificate has been issued by the province, it is forwarded by the applicant to the IRCC who apply the new name to the pending application. In this case, the initial citizenship oath and certificate are administered and issued in the new name from the start which is then used apply for the new Canadian passport in the new name after taking the oath.

The only exception to this rule, as someone already posted on this thread previously, is if changing to a married name of a spouse when the spouse's family name is on the marriage certificate. In this case, only the marriage certificate is needed to assume the new family name. They said to allow at least 90 days to receive a new Citizenship Certificate with the new name.

The biggest surprise of the day was when we attempted to apply for our new Canadian passports. According to the Canadian Passport agency web site, one should wait 3 business days before applying. During the citizenship ceremony, the presiding clerk advised we should wait 2 days before applying for the passport. However, when we went in to the passport office in the afternoon to inquire more specifically, the reception agent scanned the bar code on the back of our new citizenship certificates and found that our information was already in the system and they were able to accept our passport applications the same day. It would seem if anyone needs to submit their application as early as possible after taking the oath, by all means go to the nearest passport Office and make the attempt on the day of the oath. At least in our case, the staff were quite helpful in determining how soon it can be done.

When applying in person, they did not need copies of our IDs (they said they are needed only if mailing the application). The only ID the passport office needed when applying in person was our Driver License and the new Citizenship Certificate. They mentioned that when we renew in ten years as long as there has been no major change in indentity (name, gender, etc), they will only need our old passport and new passport photos. The certificate and IDs are no longer needed.

Hope this detail helps anyone.

Last edited:

beximco

Apr 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore,Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
August 13, 2013
Please add me to the Feb Spreadsheet....
ID: beximco
Add Type: Family (3)
Physical Presence Days: 1384
App sent: 2019-02-05
App Received: 2019-02-08