+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI request

TJL

Star Member
Jul 2, 2007
I sent in my FBI request and noted "immigration", not "canadian immigration". Will this pose a problem?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
"Immigration" is fine as the reason.

If you don't put a date on the outside of the envelope, they might still open it quickly.

The CJIS number is (304)625-5590 option#3. You will get a live person and you can ask when they received your request and whether it will be expedited.

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
I just called and they said the only reasons they are accepting for expiditing are life and death situations, and i wont get results til december, does this sound right? how can i get them to do it quicker than december??? :((((

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
on the application yes on the envelope no i just put canada immigration on the outside of the envelope

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I think you'll still be ok. Keep in mind that the people who answer the phones are not the same as those doing the background checks.

I suggest you call back and ask two things very politely:
1) when did they receive your application?
2) does it show in their database that your application has a deadline?

Everything is put into a database the moment they open it. So they should be able to answer these two questions.

Good luck.

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
they said they received it and i will get it end of november, i planned on filing end of october. 2 options

1) resend prints to FBI with a date of October 15 or so and hope they come back by then

2) file PR app on schedule and just send in FBI check a month later.

Will me sending it in a month later delay my processing time?I want the shorted route possible.I am filing outside canada thru Buffalo. Family class-Spousal.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I would choose option 1 if you want to make sure you receive the background check in time. I think they'll return your application if all the documents aren't included.

To make your FBI request go faster, you could send them a prepaid courier envelope to return your background check. It will save you a few days. I suggest you send them a USPS Express Mail envelope with enough stamps to cover postage. Second, pay the $18 fee by credit card (there's a form for this on the FBI website). And finally, make sure you put your deadline on both the outside of the mailing envelope and your application.