+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Father's Name Discrepancy / Surname Issue / Canada PR / Express Entry

Simran Singh Sachdeva

Aug 3, 2020
Hello All! Greetings!

I just found that there's some discrepancy in my Father's Name.

In my passport, my Father's Name is "Jaspal Singh".

However, in all other documents - work and study, my father's name is "Jaspal Singh Sachdeva"

Now, I read some forums and found that we have to make one affedavit of "One and same Person" along with good LOE.

My questions:

1. Do I have to send these - Affidavit + LOE to WES as well while doing ECA?

2. The ones who faced the same issue - what all they did? They did the same or any other things can be done from candidate's side?
What was their outcome? Did their PR git approved? Anything raised by IRCC? Any follow up questions? Was the process smooth?

I would really appreciate if "Seniors" and "the ones who faces the same issue" will guide and share their own experience.

Thank you so much in advance.

Curious to ready your replies.

hbrsid86

Star Member
Dec 26, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-05-2019
Passport Req..
15-11-2019
LANDED..........
11-09-2021
I'm not a senior here but can tell you of my experience. My name was has several slight variations (same spellings though but also because of filial) and the difference was in my degrees, my passport, ECA, etc. I can give you more details of the variants but I'll try not to bore you with those details. Eventually, what I did was write it in a LoE about this in the simplest way possible and attached my ID card to also explain it.

This really was the one thing I was most worried where they might ask more questions about but it went smoothly. In fact, I was still a bit concerned because in my CIC account the Applicant name was without my filial yet when I linked my PR card to it my Applicant name there has the filial for some reason. I've received my PR card so thank God that all that has not caused any problems (yet).

Simran Singh Sachdeva

Aug 3, 2020
I'm not a senior here but can tell you of my experience. My name was has several slight variations (same spellings though but also because of filial) and the difference was in my degrees, my passport, ECA, etc. I can give you more details of the variants but I'll try not to bore you with those details. Eventually, what I did was write it in a LoE about this in the simplest way possible and attached my ID card to also explain it.

This really was the one thing I was most worried where they might ask more questions about but it went smoothly. In fact, I was still a bit concerned because in my CIC account the Applicant name was without my filial yet when I linked my PR card to it my Applicant name there has the filial for some reason. I've received my PR card so thank God that all that has not caused any problems (yet).
Congratulation! Kudos! Felicitations for your PR card. So, they didn't even asked a question - that's nice.
1. You didn't provide any affidavit? Just explained in LOE.

2. What about WES (ECA)? They raised any question? Any comment that such thing doesn't match with degree name and all? Have you provided LOE to WES as well?

Thanks a million! :)

hbrsid86

Star Member
Dec 26, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-05-2019
Passport Req..
15-11-2019
LANDED..........
11-09-2021
Congratulation! Kudos! Felicitations for your PR card. So, they didn't even asked a question - that's nice.
1. You didn't provide any affidavit? Just explained in LOE.

2. What about WES (ECA)? They raised any question? Any comment that such thing doesn't match with degree name and all? Have you provided LOE to WES as well?

Thanks a million! :)
Thank you! I was almost about to go for the affidavit and was looking at getting it signed by a court/lawyer to be on the safe side but eventually decided to first try without it. Honestly, from the looks of it, your case does not even seem as complicated as mine was but I'll let one of the seniors chime in.

Regarding WES I was concerned about it at first, but I made sure to put the exact names as my degrees had and they sent it back with the two slightly different names mentioned for "Name on Credential". Just to elaborate, the difference in the degrees was where one was [First name] filial [Last Name] and another one that had it as [First name] filial [Last Name] [Surname]. The surname was actually almost the same as the last name but an expanded version of it so, was a bit complicated.

Simran Singh Sachdeva

Aug 3, 2020
Sorry for back and forth, however, I think you'll agree that when you are at such an important stage, you want to be 100% sure for everything before taking any further step.

Just to eradicate confusion, "two slightly different names mentioned for "Name on Credential"", .........Was this comment given by WES on your result? Does that make any difference? Does it means evaluation is incompleted or invalid?

As mentioned by you, "one of the seniors chime in" - I would really appreciate if one the seniors can give their openion too, in order for me to be double sure and proceed accordingly.

And, Thank You soo much for all your help and support. It is highly appreciated. Thanks once again. :)

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
Hello Sir.

Hope you can help me out on this issue. My Fathers name is 'Mohammed Ahmad' in my Passport but in my Master's college Degree it is 'Md Ahmed Khan". Regarding Mohammed and Md, I am ok based on my reading across other forums as it is used interchangeably and abbreviation is ok.

My issue is that will the extra last name 'Khan' in my master's certificate will cause issue? Please advise. I'll be grateful if you can suggest.

Thanks.

Last edited:

hbrsid86

Star Member
Dec 26, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-05-2019
Passport Req..
15-11-2019
LANDED..........
11-09-2021
Sorry for back and forth, however, I think you'll agree that when you are at such an important stage, you want to be 100% sure for everything before taking any further step.

Just to eradicate confusion, "two slightly different names mentioned for "Name on Credential"", .........Was this comment given by WES on your result? Does that make any difference? Does it means evaluation is incompleted or invalid?

As mentioned by you, "one of the seniors chime in" - I would really appreciate if one the seniors can give their openion too, in order for me to be double sure and proceed accordingly.

And, Thank You soo much for all your help and support. It is highly appreciated. Thanks once again. :)
Of course, I understand. That comment was not from WES, that was just my own to explain what the final WES report showed. While my name was slightly different in both my master's degrees, the WES report section for "Canadian Equivalency Summary" still listed it as "two master's degrees". So that made me conclude that they still recognized both degrees under my name.

hbrsid86

Star Member
Dec 26, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-05-2019
Passport Req..
15-11-2019
LANDED..........
11-09-2021
Hello Sir.

Hope you can help me out on this issue. My Fathers name is 'Mohammed Ahmad' in my Passport but in my Master's college Degree it is 'Md Ahmed Khan". Regarding Mohammed and Md, I am ok based on my reading across other forums as it is used interchangeably and abbreviation is ok.

My issue is that will the extra last name 'Khan' in my master's certificate will cause issue? Please advise. I'll be grateful if you can suggest.

Thanks.
While based on my personal experience the additional "Khan" wouldn't be an issue if like me you can show by attaching other documents (like an ID) that show the inclusion of "Khan", I'm not so sure about the Md since that might not be something as evident. Though for WES it could still be fine. To be on the safe side, maybe just get an affidavit and notarized from the lawyer to be on the safe side for your actual CIC application.

mudjawd

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
09th August
While based on my personal experience the additional "Khan" wouldn't be an issue if like me you can show by attaching other documents (like an ID) that show the inclusion of "Khan", I'm not so sure about the Md since that might not be something as evident. Though for WES it could still be fine. To be on the safe side, maybe just get an affidavit and notarized from the lawyer to be on the safe side for your actual CIC application.

Thanks a lot for your response. I also feel it will be helpful for me to get an affidavit and get it notarized. How hard is it to get this notarized? Is it to just need to take all the original documents to the lawyer along with the affidavit and he/she will notarize it?

hbrsid86

Star Member
Dec 26, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-05-2019
Passport Req..
15-11-2019
LANDED..........
11-09-2021
Thanks a lot for your response. I also feel it will be helpful for me to get an affidavit and get it notarized. How hard is it to get this notarized? Is it to just need to take all the original documents to the lawyer along with the affidavit and he/she will notarize it?
It depends on where you live but yes, pretty much this. You might be and to write a document yourself explaining it if the notary doesn't have an existing form/template for similar purpose.

Though I didn't get it notarized, the form I wrote my LoE in is the one shown by saravana85: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/explanation-letter-for-seeming-name-difference.157656/

Simran Singh Sachdeva

Aug 3, 2020
Of course, I understand. That comment was not from WES, that was just my own to explain what the final WES report showed. While my name was slightly different in both my master's degrees, the WES report section for "Canadian Equivalency Summary" still listed it as "two master's degrees". So that made me conclude that they still recognized both degrees under my name.
Thank you for all your help and support here. Highly appreciated. :)

kawalkaur07

Sep 27, 2020
Hello All,

My issue is somewhat related to what has been discussed under this caption. In all my documents, my father's name is Harjinder Singh however on my graduation degree it is written as 'S Harjinder Singh.' While the "S" stands for "Sardar" and is generally used in place of Shri (as a suffix), it didn't bother me earlier.

I want to know will it cause any problem in future? I have already applied for WES and waiting for the ECA report.

Kindly help in this matter. I shall be thankful to you.

sourabh32

Star Member
Aug 23, 2013
Hello,
Please let me also know about the father name issue solution.
As i am also going through the same situation, i also applied for IQAS today

ayushisunda

Jan 25, 2021
Hello All,

My issue is somewhat related to what has been discussed under this caption. In all my documents, my father's name is Harjinder Singh however on my graduation degree it is written as 'S Harjinder Singh.' While the "S" stands for "Sardar" and is generally used in place of Shri (as a suffix), it didn't bother me earlier.

I want to know will it cause any problem in future? I have already applied for WES and waiting for the ECA report.

Kindly help in this matter. I shall be thankful to you.
Hi kawal. Can you please share what did you do in tbis case. I have same issue. Can you share LOE format please.

Veejaysingh

Star Member
May 19, 2020
Hey guys you might be able to help I have a same issue. Singh Veejay on my WES report and Veejay Singh as a given name on Passport but not family. Was it an issue ,if so , how did you solve it. As I am in the middle of post ITA process.please reply thanks.