+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship for Dependant Child

Venkkrishy

Apr 8, 2017
Hi,

I got my PR as a provincial nominee from NS, and completed my landing an year before (soft landing), have my PR card. Me, my spouse and elder daughter are PR, we had a second child born in the UK as an indian national.

For work purposes we've been living in the UK for over 5yrs. I've been trying to get jobs in the province that nominated me, but without much success as yet. My efforts are still ON.

I am finishing my work in the UK and planning to move to Canada, within a month. I would need some help to understand the following.

We three of us have a PR Card and also SIN number from NS.

1. I am currently getting a job offer through my company, outside the province (NS) that provided me a PR, in Moncton and Montreal, am i allowed to take it up (as a PR with card) and move across to other province? Although, the CIC website says we can as PR holders, they have moral obligation, so am little unclear, i want to take others view on this, if this would cause any problems in sponsoring my child, future PR extension or during citizenship. I am documenting evidence of rejection by mail for future needs.

2. If i take these jobs outside the original province, will i have any challenges to sponsor my child? In other words, should i need to be in NS to be able to sponsor my second child?

3. If i take up the job in Montreal, (the role isn't french mandatory), will there be any challenges?

4. My company is suggesting i apply a TRV for my younger child (who is an Indian national born in UK), and once they reach there can apply for PR, is that a right approach or should i first apply PR and then a TRV?

5. Should i use the same application logon and details (mine that i used few years ago for applying PR) to sponsor my younger child (or) do i need to create a new one for child sponsorship. Also, when PR and TRV are applied, should it need to be interlinked?

I have been hearing from few friends, that you should be living in the province that nominated you for atleast 2 years, although you are PR,else it will cause future sponsorship issues and/or PR revokal, i am unable to find this clause anywhere, except the moral obligation.

I'm worried at this statement as sponsoring my child is very important to me, and if that requires me to stay in NS jobless for few months, i should give a try than to accept a job in NB or Quebec.

Appreciate, if someone can response to these, as it would make more more calmer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
When did you land? The date on your PR card is not what is important it is the 5 year mark from your landing date. Have you spent any time in NS? Looking for jobs? In general most Canadian employers like to hire people who are already in Canada. They like face to face interviews although Skype/Facetime interviews could be 1st interviews. Also may want someone to start work relatively soon. Normally people attempt to find a job in their nominated province and move after a few months if they have not found anything but retain all their records proving that they tried. PRs are technically allowed to move anywhere so it is up to you to make the decision. Then thing you should be aware of is in Quebec your children will have to attend French school unless you are willing to pay for private English education. I think learning another language is only beneficial for children but have seem many other parents do not feel the same way. Your baby is not guaranteed a TRV or TRP so you must consider the RO obligations of your wife and other child. If they have to remain outside Canada for 6-10 months until your baby receives sponsorship you should probably be moving to Canada relatively soon to start the baby's sponsorship process. We see lots of mothers run into a problem when they are about to not be compliant with their RO but the sponsorship of the baby is not complete.

Reactions: k.h.p.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
For work purposes we've been living in the UK for over 5yrs. I've been trying to get jobs in the province that nominated me, but without much success as yet. My efforts are still ON.

I am finishing my work in the UK and planning to move to Canada, within a month.
If you got your PR 5 years ago and only did a soft landing, (spent only a few months in Canada in the last 5 years) I believe that you, your wife and your first child are not meeting RO. (2 years in 5 years time)

Your PR card may still be valid but you may be reported upon your entry to Canada. If you are reported, then your PR may be revoked.

If you are lucky and didn't get reported, and if your second child got a TRV (you may not get it because he/she isn't really a tourist), you can bring him along but you CANNOT sponsor him until you have meet the RO (2 years after you moved).

Venkkrishy

Apr 8, 2017
I did my landing in August 2017, my card is valid until Sep 2022. My Wife and kid card is valid until Dec 2022.

I've spent a few weeks in NS and since moved back to UK for work, now through my employer am getting in NB and Montreal, but not in NS. This is where am take up what comes to me initially, and then switch job to NS. So far, i have documented rejections from NS jobs.

Can i sponsor my second child as a PR from any province, or do i need to live in a province / Canada for few years before i sponsor, the RO applies only extension and not for sponsorship, if am not wrong?

Will there be any challenges for sponsorship or future extension/citizenship as a result of moving province?

I'm not hoping on TRV, but my company is willing to sponsor it for me, so it is sensible to go for it after i apply for PR (or) along with PR, i.e: before it.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I did my landing in August 2017, my card is valid until Sep 2022. My Wife and kid card is valid until Dec 2022.

I've spent a few weeks in NS and since moved back to UK for work, now through my employer am getting in NB and Montreal, but not in NS. This is where am take up what comes to me initially, and then switch job to NS. So far, i have documented rejections from NS jobs.

Can i sponsor my second child as a PR from any province, or do i need to live in a province / Canada for few years before i sponsor, the RO applies only extension and not for sponsorship, if am not wrong?

Will there be any challenges for sponsorship or future extension/citizenship as a result of moving province?

I'm not hoping on TRV, but my company is willing to sponsor it for me, so it is sensible to go for it after i apply for PR (or) along with PR, i.e: before it.
You can sponsor from any province, as long as you personally are meeting the RO. There are no minimum residence requirements. If you are not meeting the RO, there is the risk that your application to sponsor will trigger a compliance check.
If you only landed in August 2017, you simply cannot be out of compliance until August 2020, so it's not even a factor at the moment.

Venkkrishy

Apr 8, 2017
Thanks for clarifying. Do i need to be inland for 2years to sponsor a dependant child? I haven't seen such clause, i am hoping i can sponsor my second child after i land (may be in a months time).

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for clarifying. Do i need to be inland for 2years to sponsor a dependant child? I haven't seen such clause, i am hoping i can sponsor my second child after i land (may be in a months time).
No.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You do have to be inland though and sponsorship can take 6-10 months. If your child has UK citizenship they can travel to Canada easily although they may not have medical coverage depending on the province. You would need to purchase emergency medical coverage.