+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family / in-laws of foreign spouses waiting for PR visiting during covid

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi all, I'm a Brit waiting for my AOR for my SS with OWP application (on 8 months of waiting now...). I'm hoping my parents from the UK can visit as an extended family member according to IRCC who is "related to the spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident". I've downloaded the necessary IMM0006 form for this however straight away it asks whether I'm a Canadian citizen, PR holder or under Canada's Indian Act. I'm technically still just a tourist so what must I fill on this form? Anyone else doing this / done this? Thanks

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Thanks, yes have read this page extensively but its ambiguous in that I am a spouse of a canadian citizen
"If you’re related to the spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen, person registered under Canada’s Indian Act or permanent resident, you must be a

• non-dependent child (adult child)
  • grandchild (dependent child of a non-dependent adult child)
  • sibling, half-sibling or step-sibling
  • grandparent"
It doesn't specify as a spouse I have to be a PR. Surely there's allowance there?

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Its my husband, I'm the wife. Whilst I understand this point the other detail from IRCC still doesn't make sense to me "If you’re related to the spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen". Where does it say specifically the spouse or common-law partner has to be a PR? Surely if I can show they are my immediate family with the IMM0006 form and detail I have a submitted application for PR in progress, which is very delayed and well overdue, theres some exemption allowed?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Its my husband, I'm the wife. Whilst I understand this point the other detail from IRCC still doesn't make sense to me "If you’re related to the spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian citizen". Where does it say specifically the spouse or common-law partner has to be a PR? Surely if I can show they are my immediate family with the IMM0006 form and detail I have a submitted application for PR in progress, which is very delayed and well overdue, theres some exemption allowed?
You are in Canada temporarily. This is the bit that applies to your parents. They need written authorization to travel.

If you’re travelling to Canada from a country other than the US
If you’re travelling from a country other than the US, you must have written authorization from IRCC to fly to Canada.

The written authorization is a one-time use authorization confirming that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions. It’s valid only for the period needed to travel.

You should not book a flight to Canada until you get your written authorization.

Find out how to request a written authorization.

To board your flight to Canada
You need

• a valid visitor visa or eTA
  • a valid passport
  • to tell the airline that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions
  • to show an immigration officer that you’re coming for a non-discretionary purpose, such as to live with your spouse, common-law partner or family member
    • You’ll be refused an authorization if an officer finds that you’re travelling for an optional or discretionary purpose, such as for tourism, entertainment or recreation.
  • to have your health checked by airline officials to confirm that you don’t have symptoms of COVID-19, including a fever, a cough and difficulty breathing
    • Anyone showing symptoms will not be allowed to board a flight to Canada.
How to request a written authorization from IRCC
If you have a valid visitor visa or an application in progress
Follow the instructions for What to do if you’ve already applied for a visitor visa. We’ll assess your reasons for travel and make a decision on your written authorization.

Remember to submit evidence to show you’re eligible to travel at this time.

If you need a visitor visa but haven’t applied for one yet
Follow the instructions for How to apply for a visitor visa. We’ll assess your reasons for travel and make a decision on your visitor visa and your written authorization at the same time.

If you have an eTA or need one to travel
If you have an eTA, or you’re applying for one, you also need to contact us through our Web form to tell us how you meet the eligibility requirements to travel at this time. We’ll assess your reasons for travel and make a decision on your eTA, if you don’t have one yet, and your written authorization.

Find more instructions for eTA applicants.

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Thanks for this however:
1) I'm not here temporarily. I am living with my husband waiting for my inland SS application to be processed. I actually can't leave canada as this could risk my application hence trying to have my family visit Canada rather; 2) even if i did proceed with this as someone here temporarily it leads me back to needing to fill the IM0006 form which prompts me to fill out whether I am a citizen, PR, or Indian status - which is the issue i started this thread regarding

Now looking at links you've sent - my family have valid eTAs they got from last year valid for sometime, do they have to get new ones in light of COVID?
Its incredible how complicated this is.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for this however:
1) I'm not here temporarily. I am living with my husband waiting for my inland SS application to be processed. I actually can't leave canada as this could risk my application hence trying to have my family visit Canada rather; 2) even if i did proceed with this as someone here temporarily it leads me back to needing to fill the IM0006 form which prompts me to fill out whether I am a citizen, PR, or Indian status - which is the issue i started this thread regarding

Now looking at links you've sent - my family have valid eTAs they got from last year valid for sometime, do they have to get new ones in light of COVID?
You are here temporarily.

You will only have permanent status once you are a PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for this however:

They do not need new eTAs. They can use the ones they already have. However they do need an authorization letter.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for this however:

Being even more specific, this is what your parents need to do (specifically what I have underlined):

If you have an eTA or need one to travel
If you have an eTA, or you’re applying for one, you also need to contact us through our Web form to tell us how you meet the eligibility requirements to travel at this time. We’ll assess your reasons for travel and make a decision on your eTA, if you don’t have one yet, and your written authorization.

Find more instructions for eTA applicants.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
OK thanks, so they wouldn't be able to submit the IMM0006 form with this however - is that not going to be an issue? Here its unclear as to whether that's ok to do or not