Singapore
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
16-08-2017
How did you get your family doctor when you arrived here in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can call around or there is usually a number or website to call in each province that has lists of doctors who may be taking new patients. In some areas it can be very challenging to secure a family doctor.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
First you need to get your health cards. Then, it makes sense once you find your accommodation to look for clinics that are not far or ask for recommendations. You probably do not want to travel very far everytime you need to visit your family doctor. You may have to be on a waiting list to be accepted by a doctor that is close and has good feedback. Even without a family doctor, you can get treatment at any walk-in clinic and government hospital as long as you have your health card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
First you need to get your health cards. Then, it makes sense once you find your accommodation to look for clinics that are not far or ask for recommendations. You probably do not want to travel very far everytime you need to visit your family doctor. You may have to be on a waiting list to be accepted by a doctor that is close and has good feedback. Even without a family doctor, you can get treatment at any walk-in clinic and government hospital as long as you have your health card.
Want to clarify that hospitals should not be used as a family doctor. ERs are meant for emergencies that can not be dealt with by a family doctor or walk-in clinic.

Reactions: YVR123 and BC4life

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Want to clarify that hospitals should not be used as a family doctor. ERs are meant for emergencies that can not be dealt with by a family doctor or walk-in clinic.
Thanks for the clarification

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the clarification
Don't mean to be picky but there is a very high use of ERs by new Canadians and asylum seekers. In other countries it is very normal to seek basic care in the ER for things like colds. Must say that lots of Canadians misuse the system as well.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Don't mean to be picky but there is a very high use of ERs by new Canadians and asylum seekers. In other countries it is very normal to seek basic care in the ER for things like colds. Must say that lots of Canadians misuse the system as well.
If they know that they will not get any medication and have to wait hours for nothing, may be they will stop going to ERs.
I poured hot liquid over myself and suffered from a 2nd degree burnt. I only did some first-aid, took pain killer and went to a walk-in clinic to get it treated the next day. (my GP isn't open on MONDAY when I needed her!!)

If I went to ER, I likely will only get the same treatment and needed to sit in the waiting area in pain for hours. And may even pickup some bugs while waiting with lots of patients.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In Ontario your family doctor gets in trouble if you go to an ER or walk in clinic and not to you doctor's after hours service. Usually a group of 10-15 doctors who take turns doing an evening clinic and part day on Saturday. My doctor got in trouble because I went to he ER on a Saturday because I hadn't been able to breathe right for 5 days and I knew I needed a chest x-ray. After a half day they sent me home and basically called me a wimp. I begged for at least an inhaler. I am far from wimp. I told my doctor to fight the fine that she got for me going to the ER. What the OHIP computer didn't pick up is that they called me half an hour after discharge to tell me that I had a collapsed lung and needed a chest tube. The ER physician told me that he happened to look at my x-ray again. I know that a radiologist reads imaging a 2nd time. At least they are trying to teach people not to use the ER by fining the GPs. Lots of people watching while I was in the ER and it is astounding how people can't even deal with a cold.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Ontario your family doctor gets in trouble if you go to an ER or walk in clinic and not to you doctor's after hours service. Usually a group of 10-15 doctors who take turns doing an evening clinic and part day on Saturday. My doctor got in trouble because I went to he ER on a Saturday because I hadn't been able to breathe right for 5 days and I knew I needed a chest x-ray. After a half day they sent me home and basically called me a wimp. I begged for at least an inhaler. I am far from wimp. I told my doctor to fight the fine that she got for me going to the ER. What the OHIP computer didn't pick up is that they called me half an hour after discharge to tell me that I had a collapsed lung and needed a chest tube. The ER physician told me that he happened to look at my x-ray again. I know that a radiologist reads imaging a 2nd time. At least they are trying to teach people not to use the ER by fining the GPs. Lots of people watching while I was in the ER and it is astounding how people can't even deal with a cold.
It is not.
Viruses and bacterias are local. Many new immigrants got used to (their body got imunity) against their types of germs but not against Canadians. it takes some times (I would say good 1-5 years) to really get used to the local "specialities".
And yes sometimes you might have some nasty complications.

Just so you know, when Europeans (after Vikings) arrived to America, some of the illnesses their bodies were used to, were fatal or almost fatal to many indigenous.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is not.
Viruses and bacterias are local. Many new immigrants got used to (their body got imunity) against their types of germs but not against Canadians. it takes some times (I would say good 1-5 years) to really get used to the local "specialities".
And yes sometimes you might have some nasty complications.

Just so you know, when Europeans (after Vikings) arrived to America, some of the illnesses their bodies were used to, were fatal or almost fatal to many indigenous.
We live in a global world. Doubt any of the new immigrants have not interacted with people from various cultures and they are not coming from isolated communities. The same flu strain usually now goes around the world every year. If you have a minor infection, a cold or the flu and are not a baby or elderly/immunocompromised person there is no need to go to the ER. It is a waste of resources and time for the patient. They are also spreading a cold or flu to sick people in the ER. Many medical systems use the ER as 1st line care. We have GPs and after hours clinics.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We live in a global world. Doubt any of the new immigrants have not interacted with people from various cultures and they are not coming from isolated communities. The same flu strain usually now goes around the world every year. If you have a minor infection, a cold or the flu and are not a baby or elderly/immunocompromised person there is no need to go to the ER. It is a waste of resources and time for the patient. They are also spreading a cold or flu to sick people in the ER. Many medical systems use the ER as 1st line care. We have GPs and after hours clinics.

This is where you are mistaken. We do not live in that global world as you might think. According to your theory, if there is for example big problem with some contagious illness in one region (birds flu or something else) all countries around the world will get the same amount of it.
In reality some countries may not get even a single case of it, despite opened borders. What does happen is, that the further you live from that region and the less intensive exchange of travellers you have with them, the less cases of illness you will get in your country. And few isolated cases are for sure not enough for the most of the population to build up the needed immunity there.

So no many illnesses are more specialized and more regional than you would think. (for example you will not get same type of vaccination for Borrelia - an illness transmitted by ticks; in Europe or in North America, simply because the germ causing it is a bit different in both regions).

Additionally, you can have flu with complication (for example when at the same time you are attacked by virus and by some aggressive bacteria that can cause bronchitis or pneumonia; which untreated can lead to heart problem).
There are also certain type of viruses that will cause your immune system overreact, so it will be overheating and flooding your respiration system (just check the big flu pandemic in North America in 20th century; the most affected were young healthy adults).

As for spreading illnesses - many viral infections are the most virulent (contagious) during the incubation state (just before you will get symptoms of the illness). That is usually 24-48 hours before the first symptoms and within first 24-48 hours where the symptoms are mild. After that your immune system will kick in fully so, most of the viruses that will come out of you will be the dead one in your body fluids (like cough or tears).
So your best chance to catch something is in - public transport, shopping malls, big open work space, schools, public washrooms.

Interestingly people tend to be more cautious when it comes to behaviour in ER waiting room, so the only higher risk you will have there is chance of getting something rare, that you would have in public areas.

And did you know that each years there are tens of cases of adults in Canada that will die on flu?