+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family already in canada and daughter needs to move along

Discussion in 'Business Immigration' started by hunain96, Aug 27, 2019.

  1. Hello everyone,
    I had a query. I would be glad if anyone can provide me a solution. Actually, i wanted to ask if family recently moves to quebec canada as a permanent resident, except for their daughter (age 23) how she can move along? Is it possible to move on temporary resident visa and then apply for study permit in canada? or any soultion to move on temporary resident visa then apply for permanent residency?
  2. Sure she could apply for a study permit, attend college for a couple of years, get a PGWP, get Canadian work experience and then apply for PR.

    She cannot 'move' to Canada on a TRV, just visit, whether that would get approved difficult to predict if all family is in Canada given need to show reasons to return to home country.

    Generally people apply for study permits from outside of Canada to show both chosen course is relevant and intention is to return home at the end of the course. Whether that is the actual plan of course is a different matter but thats what should be shown as intention on study permit application.

    Without the study permit option then options to get PR are limited to finding an employer to sponsor an LMIA which is difficult or applying in own right for express entry which assumes could get to 460 points the current selection target or a PNP program. All these options depend on what qualifications she has already and of course work exeperience.
    hunain96 likes this.
  3. Okay thanks a lot. I dont know why this rule is implemented that dependent child age above 22 cannot move along with family Who is unmarried and financially dependent on her father, How can one live alone without their family moving in any other country. Seriously disappointed.
  4. The rules have been like this for many years. I'm not sure why you are surprised or disappointed since you would have known this at the time you applied. You should have been expecting this and planned accordingly. If you failed to plan, no one to blame and be seriously disappointed in but yourself.
  5. Actually, didn't knew anything about it as consultant didnt even bothered to tell us this. He just used to say that dependent child should be unmarried only. Now there is no hope left.

  6. It was 19 a few years ago so 22 is much older. You had access to a computer and should have researched a program before committing to it. The reasoning is that most children will have finished a bachelor degree or college program and many Canadian children are living independently. In other countries children are commonly married at this age. Honestly your daughter will likely struggle to get a study permit because she will not appear to be a genuine student. It will be clear that she is only studying as a vehicle to immigrate.
  7. Your consultant was clearly incompetent. I know this doesn't help you now, but make sure you don't recommend him to anyone who asks you for a consultant.
    hunain96 likes this.
  8. I have the same issue. We couldn't get our step-son with us and his study permit application was rejected multiple times. Having strong family ties in Canada works against the applicant in case of TRVs like Study visa and visitor visa.
    hunain96 likes this.
  9. That would because his family ties would be stronger in Canada versus his home country. The premise on applying for TRV's like study permits and visitors visa's is that the applicant comes to Canada, and the RETURNS to their home country. With their family wholly in Canada, what incentive would their be for them to return ?
    Do not understand why applicants do not due their due diligence when applying as PR to come to Canada, when they have individuals in their family who cannot be included in their application They cannot just "tag" along
    scylla likes this.
  10. #10 sk1356, Sep 4, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    @Copingwithlife - I didn't find your comment very helpful. When I "do not understand" then I usually ask further questions before making any judgmental comments which do not add value to the conversation.
    Just to clarify - we knew the rules before applying and my step-son doesn't want to "tag along" He is photographer and genuinely wants to study photography academically which isn't an option in his home country. Choosing Canada for higher studies where his family already resides is normal.

    I think it's more of case of a broken system. It's anyone's guess how many students who study in Canada actually return to their home country. If they all were approved for their TRV visa, then I am not sure why someone who has strong ties should get their visa rejected!

    I would also like to understand if they really want the students to go back then why do they promote students to study-live-work and then settle in Canada on the CIC website? They also approve the work permit to after completing the studies which discourages student to go back to their home country!
    It's a well established fact that international students with canadian degree and exposure make the better candidates to be successful immigrants. Then why does the system forces them to pretend that they have every intention to go back? I feel having family in Canada is a positive point for international student because they will have better financial support which will avoid them working illegally on cash job (which is also a reality for some international students) And they will eventually make better candidates for immigration.

    Also in my personal case, my step-son's visitor visa was also rejected once - that mean he wasn't allowed to visit his family in spite of having a well established business in home country with several high value business projects that he was expected to complete after returning.

    I don't think TRV rules are aligned with the reality on the ground but FYI, I also don't expect them to make changes for cases like mine. We just have to deal with it.
    hunain96 likes this.
  11. Oh that's sad. Then what did you do?
  12. I absoultely agree with you. You have raised a valid point.
  13. The child who is 22 or over should study and work where they are and can work at qualifying for economic immigration if they want to move to Canada.
  14. After a few months of visitor visa rejection, we applied again and it was approved miraculously though there was no change in profile, financial or family status! They Temporary visitor visa processing system is a hit-or-miss! You can never be sure of the results. After 4 years, he now able to visit us here in Canada.
    hunain96 likes this.
  15. Ok, but my comments stand whether you find them helpful or not, that is what a public forum is all about. Differing points of view

Share This Page