+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fake Canadian Immigration Team

naijabelle

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Maxim1251 said:
Perhaps database or its part from trackitt.com somehow got leaked? Honestly, I doubt it is from CIC itself...
I also doubt it is from CIC..although nothing surprises me anymore. That is why forums like this are very important...I have never heard of this particular kind of scam before

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
In common? There was a comment earlier about a new mobile phone number wasn't there? If someone posted a job and asked for resumes they would have access to a lot of information.

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
Pippin said:
In common? There was a comment earlier about a new mobile phone number wasn't there? If someone posted a job and asked for resumes they would have access to a lot of information.
It is NEVER acceptable to apply for jobs that are asking you for very personal details like passport number, PR card number or date of birth. Once one sees such job applications even on trusted sites like Linkedin - THEY ARE SCAMS!! Do not input your details. A lot of things can happen when people have your private details of which includes opening a huge credit card with your identity.

So please everyone be wise.

No Canadian Embassy or Immigration will ask you to wire money through Western Union. Even if they would require money from you (WHICH IS VERY UNLIKELY!!!), they will back it up with a written letter in Immigration Canada letter head and envelope and will ask that you pay the amount requested through a bank where a record can be kept or tracked.

Please Let No one Else fall For These Scams.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Good question! There are many phishing scams around where you are asked to click on a link and unbeknownst to you, it downloads a software unto your computer that records your passwords. When surfing the internet, I always use "inprivate browsing". If you are using internet explorer: open a new page, click 'Tools' and select 'InPrivate Browsing' and a new page should open with "InPrivate" written near the address bar - use that page. After browsing, click 'Tools' then 'delete browsing history' to clear any cookies and close the page.

LPS said:
So, how are these callers privy to so much information about people's immigration applications? Is there a leak somewhere?

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I would like to share my experience regarding a call I got yesterday.

Caller: I am calling from CIC located in Ottawa. May I speak to rajibsam
rajibsam: Yes speaking (not sure why getting call from CIC ::) )
Caller: Before we proceed I would like to inform you that this call is being recorded and this call should not get disconnected. If this call is disconnected then the recorded message will automatically be sent to Legal and deportation team.
rajibsam: Ok. What this call is regarding? ( Deportation team :eek:)
Caller: You have to fly back to India within two weeks and would have to complete your visa application.
rajibsam: What?? ( :eek: :eek: )
Caller: Let me confirm your identity - you are rajibsam and your date of birth is XX. Your country of origin is India. ( Information all correct ??? - No chance of identity mismatch)
rajibsam: Yes
Caller: You are in Canada on Work Permit and recently your application is processed
rajibsam: Not recently, last year.
Caller: Yes, but we received your file recently from Canadian High commission in India that your application isn't complete. IOC form is missing (#R*Some No*IND). This is very serious matter and without this form you can't stay here. You have to go back to India and complete the form.
rajibsam: What is this IOC form?
Caller: IOC is Indian Overseas Citizen. This is a form to validate if you are legally entitled to work in Canada. This form is required by Indian and other south asian citizens to work in Canada.
rajibsam: But I have valid work permit and I have Indian passport as proof of Indian Citizen.
Caller: Yes, but IOC form is mandatory and without this you can't stay in Canada.
rajibsam: I am here with my family, I can't go back within two weeks, can't I submit it from Canada?
Caller: No its not possible. But we can appoint lawyer on your behalf in India who can submit it to Canadian High commission. How would you like to complete this process - Go back to India or do it through lawyer? If you dont do it then your application will be sent to Legal and deportation team and you would have to leave Canada within two weeks.
rajibsam: Ok, I would like to do it through lawyers. Please give me more information.
Caller: Ok, I will forward this call to Legal team who would elaborate you on the process. Dont get disconnected.
rajibsam: Ok (Dont know whats happening Huh )
**After 2 mins of waiting on the call **
New Caller: May I speak to rajibsam
rajibsam: Yes, speaking.
New Caller: Please confirm your passport number.
rajibsam: My passport no XXX
New Caller: Ok, it matches our record.
rajibsam: I am confused regarding this call. Can you please explain why I am getting this call?
New Caller: You didnt submit IOC form when you applied for Work Permit, this is very serious matter. We received your application from Canadian High commission in India. You have to go back to India and complete the process. This form is important to validate if you are legally working in Canada. As you are aware that many people work full time on part time work permits, hence, canadian govt has made this form mandatory to ensure only people with legal permit work here.
rajibsam: But I have legal full time open work permit.
New Caller: I am not talking about you, you are legal we know. I was talking about general people who do fraudulent activities.
rajibsam: Ok. Can't I fill IOC form here in Canada. I am here with my family. My wife is studying, I can't leave immediately.
New Caller: No you can't. You have to do it through lawyers.
rajibsam: Ok. Tell me the process.
New Caller: The charge for this process is CAD 725. You have to go to the nearest Canada Post and make a payment.
rajibsam: To whom?
New Caller: To Canadian High Commission in India. With the receipt we will proceed further. Where is your nearest Canada Post?
rajibsam: Dont know. I have to check. (But now I got suspecious, this can't be a govt process)
New Caller: Legal team wants you to complete this process today.
rajibsam: I dont have 725 dollar with me now. I need one week of time. And moreover I am planning for a vacation in India, I may do it myself in India.
New Caller: Ok. Then your application will be forwarded to Legal team. You will get a call shortly.
rajibsam: Ok. ( Call disconnected. At this time I was pretty sure this is a fake call and someone/group is trying to con me)

But I did some mistakes:
1. I should not have revealed my passport information Angry . But I was nervous and didnt know whats happening at that time. Moreover I am not so knowledgeable about legal matters.
2. I should have noticed the numbers from where I got call. The numbers are 666-755-3179 (I missed the call) and 907880824959 (conversation tool place in this number). Later I searched on these numbers and got to know that 666 is a non existent area code in north america and it could be used for masking numbers. 90 is country code of turkey.

Why I got confused:
1. I got little time to think. Caller1 started the conversation with deportation and I was under pressure.
2. I was in back foot since there is a possibility that we miss some form when we apply for visa. I didn't remember what all forms are required for work permit.
3. Caller1 was speaking in pure North American accent and was speaking in a way that I have done some big mistake

Purpose of this post: Most of you may be like me - on some kind of visa - and may be not aware of various kind of forms required for visa (or may not be on top of the mind!). Hence, be alert if you get a call like this. This seems to be an international gang trying to con people and I may not be the only person getting this call. If you get call like this atleast you should be informed.

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First caller (female) was proficient in english. Second caller wasn't that good, but after staying in Canada for several months I can say that its a multi-lingual society (atleast toroto) and we may not judge people by their accent.

I read all the posts in this thread and I am thrilled that people have received similar calls earlier. But unfortunately, though this thread started on Nov'13, I didn't know about it and there would be many who don't know.

Moreover, I was puzzled that how they got my information. But after going through earlier posts, its seems that these scamsters are getting personal information from various job portals. Atleast you will get Name, Address, Contact Number and Work permit status from ones resume and that all required by these scamsters to fool us.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
Some accents are to be expected, this is Canada after all, but syntax and grammar errors would be a red flag if someone claimed to represent the government in a client-facing role.

Of course for many immigrants who have English as a second language this would be a hard thing to judge.

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I just wanted to post some general information in regards to telephone(and online) scams:

#1. Any unsolicited phone call/service that requires you to pay via Western Union (aka wire transfer) is almost always a guaranteed scam. Do not send any money via Western Union unless you wish to lose it. The money is pretty much impossible to trace and cannot be recovered (which is why they ask you to use Western Union). Same goes for purchasing/selling anything online. (If buying/selling items through ebay, amazon, etc, always do a google search of known scams and ways to protect yourself).

#2. Even though you may get the telephone number, or have the caller on the line, law enforcement will not be able to do much of anything as the caller is more than likely using a telephone number that will be disconnected or isn't tied to a specific location (They might be in a completely different country using call forwarding or an App that 'tricks' your caller ID into displaying a different number). Why can't they trace the number? It is because law enforcement would need a warrant/court order to get location information from the phone carrier, or a court order for a wiretap in order to attempt to 'trace' the phone call. Neither of which would be granted because the circumstance is not a life or death situation.

#3. If you aren't expecting such a call or are suspicious of the caller's identity/intentions, do not divulge any information, especially if they threaten you with arrest, lawsuit, or deportation. A lawsuit/summons/subpoena would be hand-delivered to your doorstep (you would have time to get a lawyer if it is legitimate). As for arrest/deportation, you would also receive a visit in-person from law enforcement/customs officials (they wouldn't give you the opportunity to flee). I have read for deportation they would show up, confiscate your passport, and give you a time/date to appear for a deportation hearing. In other words, if someone is threatening any of those things, there is a very high probability they aren't legitimate. It is more than likely someone trying to scam you of your money or steal your information/identity.

#4. When in doubt, end the call (or if a computer is handy, Google search immigration scams to see if someone else received a similar call while on the phone with the person), and research the situation.

Here is a link to some very basic guidelines from the CIC on what towatch out for: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/protection/fraud/internet.asp

Some other common phone scams to be aware of are the Nigerian e-mail/Phone scam (about helping some foreign prince transfer his fortune to your account with a promise to compensate you), the Microsoft/Windows phone scam where someone calls you to tell you that the computer located in your home has been infected and if you buy their product they will fix it for you (they will even direct you to real microsoft websites to show you the "department" they work in, but essentially if you pay for the service, you will lose your money and also give them control of your computer), and the "relative" phone scam where the caller (who has at least some basic info on you or someon in your home) pretends to be a relative "stuck" in some country and they need you to wire them some money (the things they say and the way they respond will often get you to volunteer information about the supposed relative so that they can use it to their advantage. This one is often directed towards elderly victims).

These criminals are difficult for police to catch because it is mostly done by phone, the caller is likely in another country, and it isn't a high-level crime.

Scarlet9

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-12-2013
AOR Received.
14-02-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-07-2014
Passport Req..
27-10-2014
LANDED..........
13-11-2014
This scam was in the Edmonton Sun on March 21, 2014 I believe. At the bottom of the article it says to contact the Edmonton Police Service or CrimeStoppers if you have been called or have other information on similar cases. The number to call EPS is 780-423-4567. Unfortunately, I cannot post a link to the article but you can look it up.

immigrant1

Jun 3, 2013
rajibsam said:
Hi All,

I would like to share my experience regarding a call I got yesterday.

Caller: I am calling from CIC located in Ottawa. May I speak to rajibsam
rajibsam: Yes speaking (not sure why getting call from CIC ::) )
Caller: Before we proceed I would like to inform you that this call is being recorded and this call should not get disconnected. If this call is disconnected then the recorded message will automatically be sent to Legal and deportation team.
rajibsam: Ok. What this call is regarding? ( Deportation team :eek:)
Caller: You have to fly back to India within two weeks and would have to complete your visa application.
rajibsam: What?? ( :eek: :eek: )
Caller: Let me confirm your identity - you are rajibsam and your date of birth is XX. Your country of origin is India. ( Information all correct ??? - No chance of identity mismatch)
rajibsam: Yes
Caller: You are in Canada on Work Permit and recently your application is processed
rajibsam: Not recently, last year.
Caller: Yes, but we received your file recently from Canadian High commission in India that your application isn't complete. IOC form is missing (#R*Some No*IND). This is very serious matter and without this form you can't stay here. You have to go back to India and complete the form.
rajibsam: What is this IOC form?
Caller: IOC is Indian Overseas Citizen. This is a form to validate if you are legally entitled to work in Canada. This form is required by Indian and other south asian citizens to work in Canada.
rajibsam: But I have valid work permit and I have Indian passport as proof of Indian Citizen.
Caller: Yes, but IOC form is mandatory and without this you can't stay in Canada.
rajibsam: I am here with my family, I can't go back within two weeks, can't I submit it from Canada?
Caller: No its not possible. But we can appoint lawyer on your behalf in India who can submit it to Canadian High commission. How would you like to complete this process - Go back to India or do it through lawyer? If you dont do it then your application will be sent to Legal and deportation team and you would have to leave Canada within two weeks.
rajibsam: Ok, I would like to do it through lawyers. Please give me more information.
Caller: Ok, I will forward this call to Legal team who would elaborate you on the process. Dont get disconnected.
rajibsam: Ok (Dont know whats happening Huh )
**After 2 mins of waiting on the call **
New Caller: May I speak to rajibsam
rajibsam: Yes, speaking.
New Caller: Please confirm your passport number.
rajibsam: My passport no XXX
New Caller: Ok, it matches our record.
rajibsam: I am confused regarding this call. Can you please explain why I am getting this call?
New Caller: You didnt submit IOC form when you applied for Work Permit, this is very serious matter. We received your application from Canadian High commission in India. You have to go back to India and complete the process. This form is important to validate if you are legally working in Canada. As you are aware that many people work full time on part time work permits, hence, canadian govt has made this form mandatory to ensure only people with legal permit work here.
rajibsam: But I have legal full time open work permit.
New Caller: I am not talking about you, you are legal we know. I was talking about general people who do fraudulent activities.
rajibsam: Ok. Can't I fill IOC form here in Canada. I am here with my family. My wife is studying, I can't leave immediately.
New Caller: No you can't. You have to do it through lawyers.
rajibsam: Ok. Tell me the process.
New Caller: The charge for this process is CAD 725. You have to go to the nearest Canada Post and make a payment.
rajibsam: To whom?
New Caller: To Canadian High Commission in India. With the receipt we will proceed further. Where is your nearest Canada Post?
rajibsam: Dont know. I have to check. (But now I got suspecious, this can't be a govt process)
New Caller: Legal team wants you to complete this process today.
rajibsam: I dont have 725 dollar with me now. I need one week of time. And moreover I am planning for a vacation in India, I may do it myself in India.
New Caller: Ok. Then your application will be forwarded to Legal team. You will get a call shortly.
rajibsam: Ok. ( Call disconnected. At this time I was pretty sure this is a fake call and someone/group is trying to con me)

But I did some mistakes:
1. I should not have revealed my passport information Angry . But I was nervous and didnt know whats happening at that time. Moreover I am not so knowledgeable about legal matters.
2. I should have noticed the numbers from where I got call. The numbers are 666-755-3179 (I missed the call) and 907880824959 (conversation tool place in this number). Later I searched on these numbers and got to know that 666 is a non existent area code in north america and it could be used for masking numbers. 90 is country code of turkey.

Why I got confused:
1. I got little time to think. Caller1 started the conversation with deportation and I was under pressure.
2. I was in back foot since there is a possibility that we miss some form when we apply for visa. I didn't remember what all forms are required for work permit.
3. Caller1 was speaking in pure North American accent and was speaking in a way that I have done some big mistake

Purpose of this post: Most of you may be like me - on some kind of visa - and may be not aware of various kind of forms required for visa (or may not be on top of the mind!). Hence, be alert if you get a call like this. This seems to be an international gang trying to con people and I may not be the only person getting this call. If you get call like this atleast you should be informed.
wau...that must have been a horrible experience

Always.Asif

May 29, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 9,2012
AOR Received.
22 August, 2012
Med's Request
No
Dear All,

I got same call today just 30 mins ago. (666-031-5580)
I was really surprised to get such call from CIC-immigration- Ottawa.
Exactly same conversation.
Thanks GOD that during conversation and did a quick search on Google and find the most valuable post.
Quickly read the post and ask the Case worker (Cassey Black) to provide some time to do a research on IOC and I will get back to him soon.
Ask for call back number, he replied 416-209-7504, sure they are Asian people with good accent like native speaker.

Thanks to those who share their experience on web and save other people from being fraud.
Please advice if I need to report it to Police or CIC ?

I am from India, just to see if all the victim is from same location or not.

Regards
Asif

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Police... This is simple fraud/extortion.

J.M.

Star Member
Jan 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
Police... This is simple fraud/extortion.
It only works if the callers are based within the jurisdiction of the authorities of whom you are calling. If the person is calling from somewhere other than Canada, there will be little that law enforcement in Canada can do. It seems at least that the Edmonton Police Service is doing something from their end... maybe collecting information to try and narrow things down or providing information on how to protect yourself from future attempts. I would never discourage someone from reporting this type of thing, but don't get your hopes too high. It is 'almost' a perfect crime. The only hope would be that there is some sort of link within Canada that can be shut down to prevent further abuse, though very unlikely.

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
My friend called the cops and he did called that fake number. It was asian guy who ended up abusing the cop. And
they cant do any thing as their numbers keep on changing